The iPhone 6 is a bit of a disappointment, a chance for MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sure, the ecosystem, the apps that are even available on both platforms are better on iOS, the app quality is also much higher.

The passport payment option is much better than anything windows phone offers. The 1520 here in the US requires a charging shell, and is only available from AT&T, and their are reports it is being discontinued.

Also the size of the phone, it is way to big, and the software doesn't utilize the big screen. I can see more email on my iPhone 5s and more twitter messaging without scrolling than on the big screen 1520.

The operating system has no lag, even on last years 5s. Sure windows phone has no lag as well.

The total package of the iPhone, the OS, ecosystem (in car, acessories, apps) and the added NFC WITH the partnerships with VISA, MasterCard and Amex, leaves windows phone in the dust. Plus, all MS apps are available on IOS.

The NFC payment system is good, but I bet that comes to all smartphones with NFC eventually, probably with an app and secure sim. Kudos to them for integrating it into their hardware but ultimately, its just an NFC payment system. Microsoft's inability to secure the same deals is just indicative of their limited influence in the mobile world. And in fact google has a payment system currently in use so the only thing new here is that apple jumped on the bandwagon.

Nothing else is new or innovative about the new phones and the reality is the 1520 goes toe to toe with it hardware wise. And has a few tricks of its own, with wireless charging, upcoming 4K recording, Dolby Digital and 4 HAAC mice. These are real innovations that have been present in the phone since it launched in 2013 but no one seems to count them, because they are on a Windows Phone.

Yes, the new iphones are good, not saying they are bad or anything. But leaving WP in the dust? I don't see anything in the new iphones that makes them suddenly that much better than a WP device.

But as has been pointed out, this discussion is moot because they will sell millions within hours so I bid everyone adieu while I anticipate the arrival of my second purchase of a 1520! :)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile, looking at this thread and many others, not a single Apple apologist has called out Apple for a mid-tier resolution on the 4.7, or lack of SD card, or mid-tier camera resolution, or 1 GB RAM, or anything with their hardware. This why people say Apple has a cult-like mentality. Their company can do no wrong. I'm not calling any individual out as I'm not here to offend people, but just pointing out the obvious. Interesting case study on human psychology really.

None of that matters in the slightest.

You know what matters? iPhones work. And when they don't work, you can take it to an Apple Store and they will make it work. iOS works. And when iOS doesn't work, Apple releases an iOS update which makes it work.

You know what else matters? Apple announces a date for new phones and OS upgrades and you know what? People can actually go and buy the new phone on that date and get the OS upgrade on that date.

That's what matters. And I'm not talking about it mattering to tech blog pundits, or forum posters who think they're tech blog pundits. I'm talking about it mattering to the tons and tons and tons of users who just want a phone that works. That's to whom it matters.

Until Microsoft get that kind of response out of their company for WP, there is NO WAY that WP will ever come close to iPhone market share or user base numbers. It's just not going to happen. And to think otherwise is... fooling yourself.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't understand what "disappointment" means from a MS user. I have a ton a people in my life that are all Apple products if at all in their power, and they got exactly what they wanted: Larger screens. Period. There is true excitement for these 2 products. I think Apple has a monster sales quarter and it carries well into 2015.

MS is doing exactly what they set out to do with mobile- create a unified OS across as much of their platforms as they can, and build a fan base. Threshold is the chance for them to shine.

Apple will give zero ground to MS this year. MS will take what ground they can next year.

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Plus, all MS apps are available on IOS.

Cortana
Here maps with offline maps
Here transit
Here drive +
Nokia refocus
Nokia camera where you can change focus and aperture etc...
Office remote
Office lens
Nokia conference
Mix Radio
Pro Shot
Lumia Beamer
Lumia Storyteller
Lumia Selfie
Lumia Panorama

These are just a few exclusive Apps with very good ratings that I use almost everyday

Jules W

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft should give up marketing Windows Phone in the US.
Their only hope is in Europe and emerging markets, where unique style is appreciated.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The number one complaint about the iPhone that I've personally seen or heard was the screen size. AAPL fixed that in the iPhone6. And based on the number of shattered iPhone4 and 5 screens I've seen (I would swear that half the iPhones I've seen have shattered screens), I think there's a huge upgrade cycle coming. Samsung must be sweating bullets.

My daughter had an iPhone4 then I upgraded her to a Galaxy Note II two years ago. She briefly flirted with the idea of an iPhone6 but was worried about leaving the Android/Google ecosystem. All her friends have iPhones and when the 6's are actually out in the wild I imagine she'll think about switching again.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am a windows phone fan and user like everyone else here, but take the Microsoft goggles off. Larger screen, faster 64 bit processor,, more on board memory and finally a company really pushing NFC into reality. On top of that an actual preorder date for new phones and an actual date that everyone will get an OS upgrade. Microsoft has nothing at this point, especially in the USA - just corny Cortana vs Siri commercials showcasing a $100 phone with no front camera or rear flash with a whopping 512 memory. They look real pathetic at this point, let's hope they have something real soon or WP will be another Zune.

Er... what?? Even if we"took the Microsoft goggles off" none of it makes sense...
64bit processor? Sucks your battery dry in 4 hours.
Larger screen? 1520!
NFC ...what?? Android had it since like day one...

512 mb phones? Where? All are NEW ones have 1GB AFAIK..
No FFC? Which one?
And those commercials are way better than iCrap ads cause they DON'T LIE to the customers..show the product as is...

I think it's time to put on some glasses and do a reality check my friend.

Coded from a Clover Trail+ Machine!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple brought NOTHING special in terms of hardware to the iPhone. They brought it mostly back up to speed with competing hardward but its nothing special unless you love how thin and light it is but that is really a gimmick. What will sell the iPhones the best is not the iPhone6 and 6+ but ios8. Because its not android and the up to date software Apple is still nicely in the race. Though I don't see it getting really more or less customers.

Microsoft is put in a good position for the future I think to really provide with the next OS some really outstanding features and looks to their phone OS and Windows PC OS.

Android will remain #1. I think next year and 2016 can be a really good year for MS if they can pull off some good stuff for their phone OS and have good integration with other windows products and if so the hardware will come faster and more phone will be available. Next year they will probably release their next flagship phone.

The problem with Microsoft is that the "mineshare" had fallen. They haven't released anything that can compete with the latest android and iPhones. The iphone upgrade from the 5s may not be the best enhancement that apple has done. But the total package from hardware, software and ecosystem, with hardware and apps leaves windows phone in the dust.

I currently have a iphone 5s. There is nothing on the market besides the iphone 6 that I would upgrade to. If maybe there was an update with the 1020 of course with top of the line specs that I would get it. Maybe....

As for phone weight being a gimmick, I also own a Lumia 920, the thing is a tank. I don't think the width and weight are gimmicks, rather features and great engineering.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The number one complaint about the iPhone that I've personally seen or heard was the screen size. AAPL fixed that in the iPhone6. And based on the number of shattered iPhone4 and 5 screens I've seen (I would swear that half the iPhones I've seen have shattered screens).

I like it. More business for me!!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Microsoft is that the "mineshare" had fallen. They haven't released anything that can compete with the latest android and iPhones. The iphone upgrade from the 5s may not be the best enhancement that apple has done. But the total package from hardware, software and ecosystem, with hardware and apps leaves windows phone in the dust.

I currently have a iphone 5s. There is nothing on the market besides the iphone 6 that I would upgrade to. If maybe there was an update with the 1020 of course with top of the line specs that I would get it. Maybe....

As for phone weight being a gimmick, I also own a Lumia 920, the thing is a tank. I don't think the width and weight are gimmicks, rather features and great engineering.
I don't get it. I seriously don't. Its just apps that WP lacks. Otherwise the devices are blazing fast..I have two iPads and a MacBook Air. On my Mini, apps crash every now and then..but let's but get there..

MS had released quite a few good devices in all honesty...but if you want to compare it to Android and Apple I don't know how are you going to achieve that..
4 out of 5 points are going to be apps..

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
People have been saying this for like the past 3 revisions in a row, and Apple continues to sell them like crazy. I'm pretty sure they're not concerned about small groups of people on the internet being disappointed.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't get it. I seriously don't. Its just apps that WP lacks. Otherwise the devices are blazing fast..I have two iPads and a MacBook Air. On my Mini, apps crash every now and then..but let's but get there..

MS had released quite a few good devices in all honesty...but if you want to compare it to Android and Apple I don't know how are you going to achieve that..
4 out of 5 points are going to be apps..

It isn't just apps, my windows phone when connected to my cars USB only works as a charger while my iPhone works as an iPod and charger, I could shell out more money maybe to have a windows phone work but none are supported. Also, it's the first party Apps, my family is affluent, so they have money, affluent in terms of middle class or household income of above 100k, not upper class, they all have iPhones, FaceTime had replaced Skype, as well as iMessage which you can continue your text and phone calls onto your MAC are great feature with iOS 8 and the next MAC OS. It's stereo systems that have (works with iPhone/iPods), it's iCloud. The only windows phones worth buying right now is the 930/icon, and the 1520, yet both will be dated shortly.

The m8 is the best looking phone on the market yet. It has the a bad camera. The iPhone has no faults, the iPhone 6 plus has improved battery life, great camera, and nice housing. The Apps are a big deal, and is the biggest deal to most.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Wrong. 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

2560x1440 = 3,686,400

So that would be 59% more pixels...which is still considerably more... You are just wanting to argue.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Spot on.

All in all there really isn't anything out there that can compete with the iPhone in a meaningful way. Samsung can make fun of it as much as they want, but Apple will still sell millions.

Microsoft has no play here. All they really have is imaging, but they don't seem to be in a rush to get the next imaging flagship out.

Windows "phone" is decent, it works for the most part, but its not enough to steer the masses it's way.

The other thing is price. Cheap phones sell, but its not good for the ecosystem in general since that demographic is less likely to spend money in the app store..

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Er... what?? Even if we"took the Microsoft goggles off" none of it makes sense...
64bit processor? Sucks your battery dry in 4 hours.
Larger screen? 1520!
NFC ...what?? Android had it since like day one...

512 mb phones? Where? All are NEW ones have 1GB AFAIK..
No FFC? Which one?
And those commercials are way better than iCrap ads cause they DON'T LIE to the customers..show the product as is...

I think it's time to put on some glasses and do a reality check my friend.

Your wrong regarding 64 bit, Microsoft is now the odd one out, both Apple and Google both have 64 bit platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12