We Want a Surface Phone Already!

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't.

It would confuse customers about the Surface-Lumia distinction, and the chunky industrial design is far from appealing for many. In fact, I would personally call it downright ugly.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't.

It would confuse customers about the Surface-Lumia distinction, and the chunky industrial design is far from appealing for many. In fact, I would personally call it downright ugly.

Please tell me how the Surface Pro 3 is "chunky".

A Surface line could serve as a business caliber WP8. Lumia for the consumer line, Surface for the business line. That's not to say there wouldn't be some overlap. There were many consumers that used blackberry's and many businesses uses iPhones.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Please tell me how the Surface Pro 3 is "chunky".

How does one verbally define what's subjectively a good and a bad design? The Surface-line has sharp 'unrefined' corners, is comparatively thick, has large exposed charging and docking ports, exposed screws and hinges that look like they belong on a tool-box, not an expensive tablet.

Owning a Surface 2 I know what it's like to live with it too. Other than being uncomfortable to hold, the sharp corners have made the paint started peeling in these areas. The plastic part on the kickstand have lost all its paint and the plastic on the top have started coming loose.
Don't get me wrong, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I would personally never want to own a device costing €700 looking like it was designed by a bloke using power tools and items from my local warehouse. Especially not if my money could also buy me designs that are refined and have paid attention to every detail, much like Apple do.

A Surface line could serve as a business caliber WP8. Lumia for the consumer line, Surface for the business line. That's not to say there wouldn't be some overlap. There were many consumers that used blackberry's and many businesses uses iPhones.

What would differ a business-aimed Windows Phone from a normal consumer model? I think heading in such a direction would cause further confusion among consumers. Furthermore, I think business consumers are more likely to want designer items and status symbols. They won't want industrial designs, exposed screws and other elements which look cheap.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Do we all want a Surface phone? Why do we want that?

Microsoft owns Nokia, so why should they be developing a phone completely irrespective of the mobile phone division they already own? What makes the Surface Phone we want so badly different from other Windows Phones?

Are you just talking about the design of the Surface? The Lumia 930 and the Surface 3 look pretty similar already.

As for the suggestion above about being a corporate phone, what is it about the Lumia series that makes it a poor candidate for a corporate phone? They are pretty rugged, and I think they look professional as any other phone. But the biggest thing is that most companies are going the BYOD route, so the corporate smart phone is a fading concept.

SlickShoesRUCrazy

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Do we all want a Surface phone? Why do we want that?

Microsoft owns Nokia, so why should they be developing a phone completely irrespective of the mobile phone division they already own? What makes the Surface Phone we want so badly different from other Windows Phones?

Are you just talking about the design of the Surface? The Lumia 930 and the Surface 3 look pretty similar already.

As for the suggestion above about being a corporate phone, what is it about the Lumia series that makes it a poor candidate for a corporate phone? They are pretty rugged, and I think they look professional as any other phone. But the biggest thing is that most companies are going the BYOD route, so the corporate smart phone is a fading concept.

The way I see it, Microsoft is still missing that one ultra high end device that is available on every carrier. A device called the Lumia Surface, or the Lumia S, or something along those lines would be a great way to get said device out there. A phone with the best of the best specs compared any other highend smartphone on the market would be pretty great.

Also, it would be a better way to distinguish the RT tablets from the Pro Tablets :p.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I just want a high-end Microsoft produced device with all possible bells and whistles. Call it what you want.

Agreed - my L920 coming up for renewal - love the phone, but not liking my upgrade choices - aside from availability issues, the L1520 too big and last year's snapdragon, L930 awfully close but nowhere near as beautiful as my L920 or L1520 IMHO. HTC One M8 close to getting me excited (am I the only one who thinks the 2013 HTC is prettier than the 2014 version?), but crap camera - no deal. My perfect upgrade (in order of preference):

1) A 5" L1520 with latest snapdragon, same thickness as L1520. That's a freaking beautiful phone IMHO, SD card support, etc. I would line up like an apple ****** for that (or order online unlocked direct from manufacturer if they ever got it together and made that an option for me)
2) A Sony Z3 or Z3 compact - nice looking phones, great cameras, just put WinPhone on that sucker and I'm sold
3) 5" Surface phone? Sure - chunky, indestructible, thin and light - in that Surface Pro 3 color - I'd be interested, depends on the translation....

I fear it doesn't matter - they are all low end now and aren't really trying to satisfy the high end, so I'm stuck with the L920 for now

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Agreed - my L920 coming up for renewal - love the phone, but not liking my upgrade choices - aside from availability issues, the L1520 too big and last year's snapdragon, L930 awfully close but nowhere near as beautiful as my L920 or L1520 IMHO. HTC One M8 close to getting me excited (am I the only one who thinks the 2013 HTC is prettier than the 2014 version?), but crap camera - no deal. My perfect upgrade (in order of preference):

1) A 5" L1520 with latest snapdragon, same thickness as L1520. That's a freaking beautiful phone IMHO, SD card support, etc. I would line up like an apple ****** for that (or order online unlocked direct from manufacturer if they ever got it together and made that an option for me)
2) A Sony Z3 or Z3 compact - nice looking phones, great cameras, just put WinPhone on that sucker and I'm sold
3) 5" Surface phone? Sure - chunky, indestructible, thin and light - in that Surface Pro 3 color - I'd be interested, depends on the translation....

I fear it doesn't matter - they are all low end now and aren't really trying to satisfy the high end, so I'm stuck with the L920 for now
I switched from an Icon to an M8 and took photos on my Paris/London vacation. The camera isn't a Lumia but it's far from crap. You should look into an M8.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
How does one verbally define what's subjectively a good and a bad design? The Surface-line has sharp 'unrefined' corners, is comparatively thick, has large exposed charging and docking ports, exposed screws and hinges that look like they belong on a tool-box, not an expensive tablet.

Owning a Surface 2 I know what it's like to live with it too. Other than being uncomfortable to hold, the sharp corners have made the paint started peeling in these areas. The plastic part on the kickstand have lost all its paint and the plastic on the top have started coming loose.
Don't get me wrong, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I would personally never want to own a device costing €700 looking like it was designed by a bloke using power tools and items from my local warehouse. Especially not if my money could also buy me designs that are refined and have paid attention to every detail, much like Apple do.

What would differ a business-aimed Windows Phone from a normal consumer model? I think heading in such a direction would cause further confusion among consumers. Furthermore, I think business consumers are more likely to want designer items and status symbols. They won't want industrial designs, exposed screws and other elements which look cheap.

So, because form follows function to allow the ingenious hinge on my SP3, it's now ugly because it has exposed screws?

Have you been overdosing the Apple Kool-aid?
Your'e right. Apple could never pull that off since they haven't been innovative in years.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it, Microsoft is still missing that one ultra high end device that is available on every carrier. A device called the Lumia Surface, or the Lumia S, or something along those lines would be a great way to get said device out there. A phone with the best of the best specs compared any other highend smartphone on the market would be pretty great.
Microsoft just doesn't have the money to do that, or market anything like it without "help" from AT&T... but they have $2.5 billion to buy a #@%!! game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077