Opera Mini : Impressive or not?

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, Opera announced most awaited Opera mini Web browser for windows phone.( It is still in beta. ) but what do you think guys? Is this impressive and able to compete with IE11 and UCweb?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea it has some serious bug, but when I first got it, it worked.

I opened it and though "oh" because it was literally just like any other Opera Mini. It practically looks identical to Opera Mini on my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone (when I had it), on my iPod touch, etc.
look like it works the same too.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Its worked for me, but I'm not impressed at all. Doesn't display a lot of sites correctly, is just slow, and unresponsive.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Before today's update where it just crashes I tried it on a few websites and it failed to display any of them properly - they weren't even usable.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There was a new update today and you have to leave it to run for a minute or two the first time, you will have to accept a license agreement then it will work normally. Is clear everything is really android and it won't display wpcentral anywhere near correctly at the moment.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I was unimpressed with it yesterday, when it just crashed on startup.

But with the new update today, it ran for a few seconds, then gave me an "Unable to connect" error (even though I was on Wi-Fi and everything else could see the Internet), plus an "Exit" button that didn't do anything. I was able to <back> my way out of the app - subsequent launches crashed immediately.

I'm excited that the devs have such an aggressive release schedule - daily updates?! - so I'm expecting it to be awesome any day now! (yes, I'm kidding...)

alexandrevicente

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Is this impressive and able to compete with IE11 and UCweb?

Well, Opera Mini was never meant to be a competitor to modern browsers, but a browser for very slow connections (it was created for feature phones on GPRS), so it's pretty useful for areas with spotty coverage, but its support for modern web technologies (or even JavaScript for that matter) is pretty basic. That is, unless you have an iPhone and use the Turbo Mode... The WP8 versions seems on par with the other versions, maybe with some minor Android features missing.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yea it has some serious bug, but when I first got it, it worked.

I opened it and though "oh" because it was literally just like any other Opera Mini. It practically looks identical to Opera Mini on my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone (when I had it), on my iPod touch, etc.
look like it works the same too.
It worked for me too after I first downloaded it. It stopped working for me after the first update.
I've uninstalled for now but will give another try once it stabilizes a bit.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's impressive... like a time machine, it looks like the version of Windows Mobile :confused:

Opera didn't even start for the constant crashing, until today... and seems to work ok for now. Other than that, i think the app needs to polish a lot in the stability issue and tweak the interface a bit.

TheSparta

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Its not even close to usable.. not because of crashes.. but it displays websites like if the sites were built like 10 years..
I think the browser still uses presto, which it has scrapped for desktop. I don't think websites used to display that good on desktop too when they used presto engine.

danijel0000

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Opera works fine on my Ativ S, but when you are used on how does UC browser looks like, it's hard to accept Opera. Although, Opera mini was my favorite browser while I was using Android(Sony xperia p).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett