My Future with Windows Phone [Mini-Rant] lol...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Why does everyone say iPhones have 'great hardware'? It's simply a load of nonsense. They barely compete with Android or WP on a hardware level.

While they don't always have the best specs, Apple hardware does tend to be gorgeous. I.E: The MacBook Airs, god I love those. Granted, the iPhone 5 and 5S were ugly things, but Apple got back on track with the 6 and 6 Plus, I feel. Very pretty devices. Not the prettiest, but very pretty.

Probably an OS limitation. Currently, the files app (file manager) is not baked into the OS. When they finally bake it into the OS they'll be able to give app developers the all-important hooks into browsing the file structure to pick specific files or folders. As it stands, camera apps can access your photos, and most other apps have their own local storage.

Nope, Windows Phone 8.1 enabled third-party developers to make full file explorers and/or build them into their existing apps. After all, we were all using third-party solutions until Microsoft officially released Files, and you can still find plenty of third-party file explorers that do a great job.

It's up to WPC, and it seems they haven't fully optimized the app to take advantage of WP8.1 yet. I believe that's coming when they release their Universal App for WP 8.1 and Windows 8.1.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I play Tanks and Panthera Frontier. The controls are kinda funky. My Country and Defense Zones. There are a lot of borderline games like Cloud Raiders and Order and Chaos just to name a few. I don't find the 1520 hard at all to use, and its size really shines when you're playing games. My advice is try it out for yourself.

Thanks Pierre, Looks like those are IAP games, which I try to avoid. That's not unique to WP, many game devs on all platforms are moving this way and it sucks. Probably won't change though. Try European War III and European War IV, I can't recall if there's a try option but they're some of the best war games on WP (IV also has IAP but you can play without those).

On another note my wife is due for an upgrade for her Sprint iPhone 4S and I just ordered her an Android LG G3 through Amazon. Only $49 with a 2 year contract. I went to look for WP options but Sprint still only has the HTC 8X and Samsung NEO. At least I got her away from the iPhone ;).

When I say the hardware is great, it is. It feels like it is worth the money i spent for it and more importantly it isn't trying to be the Spec ***** of the moment. It's trying to be the PHONE that provides a Cohesive and unified experience for its users.

I now see what IOS users mean when they praise the iPhone and Apple. This has been a fantastic experience so far. My hardware isn't holding me back from enjoying the OS like on Android and the OS/UI isn't holding me back from enjoying the hardware like on Windows Phone.

And Micah I disagree with anyone saying Apple makes 'great' hardware compared to other manufacturers or their phones are any better. They use quality parts so yes, many of there electronics are well built. But the premium they charge is not in relation to the cost of their hardware. Any mid-level PC or laptop is just as good as an Apple system and much lower in cost, and many other mobile phones are built just as well or better than an iPhone for a lower price. You even admit this saying specs of some devices are better than the iPhone but then try to make the admission moot by saying the iPhone doesn't 'need' the best camera, or the best processor, or the most RAM. These are objective points, or in other words, in a comparison based on facts Apple doesn't measure up - you saying those items are unimportant to you is just a subjective response to facts. The iPhone screen size was the same argument. For years Apple claimed their iPhone screen size was perfect and users didn't want anything else. Now they have admitted they were wrong and users want larger phones. So for years in screen quality iPhones didn't measure up either.

However, what people can't argue with you on is your opinion of 'My hardware isn't holding me back from enjoying the OS like on Android and the OS/UI isn't holding me back from enjoying the hardware like on Windows Phone.' You're saying you simply enjoy iOS over Android or WP, which is fine. It is, however, a subjective comment applicable only to you. It's your opinion, based more on emotion and personal preference versus objective arguments. And that's why many people choose products, so go with it. But try not to bash other products or say Apple makes better hardware than others. You yourself stated otherwise.

In my case, I enjoy WP much more than iOS and I can do more quicker with it because the WP UI/interface seems more fluent and well-designed. To me, iOS seems like nothing more than a fancy application launcher and Android is (was when I had one, I'll see how the LG G3 stacks up now) too cluttered. But that's my opinion, so in my situation, WP is a better choice. I still acknowlege that there are great Android and iPhones out there, and all three mobile OS's will get the job done, but for me, WP is the best choice.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Say what you want about iPhone hardware; there's a difference between premium look and feel, and actually being premium, believe me when I say I do not believe iPhones to be nearly as robust or durable as they appear or feel.

Those 'cheap plasticky' galaxy phones people speak of, well my dad's dropped his no fewer than 17 times and all it's got to show for it is a few scuffs. It's landed at every possible angle; face first, back first, corners, etc. You'll often find that cheaper devices can take more of a beating than you'd expect at first glance.

When I think of hardware, I think internal components first, and external feel/appearance second. I don't think the iPhone 6 is anywhere near as practical (from an external hardware standpoint) as my Lumia 930, because it's a lot more slippery in the hand, I don't like the sticking out camera, I find it harder to get a firm purchase on, and I think the 'masking tape' bands on the back look like something from a school art class. And none hit as hard as the lack of a dedicated camera button; which I'd take any day of the week over a fingerprint scanner.

Nope, Windows Phone 8.1 enabled third-party developers to make full file explorers and/or build them into their existing apps.

so once again it's up to the app devs. Great. Most of them aren't going to take advantage of this for a long time.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Say what you want about iPhone hardware; there's a difference between premium look and feel, and actually being premium, believe me when I say I do not believe iPhones to be nearly as robust or durable as they appear or feel.

Those 'cheap plasticky' galaxy phones people speak of, well my dad's dropped his no fewer than 17 times and all it's got to show for it is a few scuffs. It's landed at every possible angle; face first, back first, corners, etc. You'll often find that cheaper devices can take more of a beating than you'd expect at first glance.

When I think of hardware, I think internal components first, and external feel/appearance second. I don't think the iPhone 6 is anywhere near as practical (from an external hardware standpoint) as my Lumia 930, because it's a lot more slippery in the hand, I don't like the sticking out camera, I find it harder to get a firm purchase on, and I think the 'masking tape' bands on the back look like something from a school art class. And none hit as hard as the lack of a dedicated camera button; which I'd take any day of the week over a fingerprint scanner.

Seeing as the iphone has always lacked a camera button, it's about time to get used to it. Especially since you can use the volume keys as shutter control on the iPhone. So it lacks a camera button yes but there are work arounds

Samsung may havee durable phones but the everyday use of holding a samsung phone feels like crap and it doesn't feel ANYTHING worth the money it is being charged. When I think Hardware, I think of the feel and build quality first and foremost THEN i worry about whats on the inside.

I don't get the big deal about the Camera...My 1520 camera has a bulge, oh well. It's not that big of a deal and it is not 100 percent flat...Even the 1020 had that big bulge. I don't see it as slippery, anymore more so than my 1520 is(matte), The "masking tape" thing is a bit ehh but then again I was the same person who saw no issues with the Lumia 920's thickness even though in 2012, a phone that thick was not exactly a good poster child when phones were far thinner and I also was the one who saw no issue with the hump/shutter on the 1020 even when people used to complain about that.

I'd take the finger print scanner over the camera button simply because you can do far more with a finger print scanner vs just having a camera button.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I'd take the finger print scanner over the camera button simply because you can do far more with a finger print scanner vs just having a camera button.

I don't care what anyone says, the finger print scanner is incredible and works flawless. I had a 5S for 8 months and it's still one of the features I truly miss from using an iPhone.

Posted via Nexus 5 WPC App

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
While Apple does build gorgeous hardware, and I strongly encourage people to use whatever device suits them best: I find it really hard to recommend a device that bends when it sits in your pocket. :/
*Signature goes here*

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't care what anyone says, the finger print scanner is incredible and works flawless. I had a 5S for 8 months and it's still one of the features I truly miss from using an iPhone.

Yeah, looks neat. Definitely wouldn't mind having one.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as the iphone has always lacked a camera button, it's about time to get used to it. Especially since you can use the volume keys as shutter control on the iPhone. So it lacks a camera button yes but there are work arounds

A volume button is a poor man's shutter button. I agree it's way better than those horrid onscreen shutters, but I still prefer my two-stage button. (especially since I can swiftly open the camera as I pull my phone from my pocket, so it's ready to go by the time my I'm in position).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, looks neat. Definitely wouldn't mind having one.

I dont drool over iPhone's, I'm a fan of all technologies and used MANY different phones...and i really hope Windows/Google OEM's adopt a very similar feature/hardware button. It just works so well, almost too well that you even forget your phone is locked...I would hand my phone to friends and they'd have to ask me to unlock it as i got so used to how second nature it felt, Apple nailed it in my opinion. Also, all my friends/family didn't believe it was accurate and not a single person was able to unlock my phone...im talking at least 30-35 people. After attempts everyone was thoroughly impressed by how well it works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I dont drool over iPhone's, I'm a fan of all technologies and used MANY different phones...and i really hope Windows/Google OEM's adopt a very similar feature/hardware button. It just works so well, almost too well that you even forget your phone is locked...I would hand my phone to friends and they'd have to ask me to unlock it as i got so used to how second nature it felt, Apple nailed it in my opinion. Also, all my friends/family didn't believe it was accurate and not a single person was able to unlock my phone...im talking at least 30-35 people. After attempts everyone was thoroughly impressed by how well it works.

I would hope Apple nails it considering biometric sensors have been on smartphones for quite a few years now. LG and Motorola had them on WinMo devices back in '09 and they were spot on. They would reject my right ring finger if the saved profile was my right index finger, never mind anybody else's.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I would hope Apple nails it considering biometric sensors have been on smartphones for quite a few years now. LG and Motorola had them on WinMo devices back in '09 and they were spot on. They would reject my right ring finger if the saved profile was my right index finger, never mind anybody else's.

Yup, very similar to how it works on the iPhone as well. You're given 5 scanner profiles, so I just set each of my thumbs twice (compensate for odd/weird angles) and my main index finger (if phone is laying flat on table the finger i would use to unlock it). I really hope other OEMs learn from this and use it going forward, it should really be considered a standard feature in my opinion as not a single person i shown it to didnt think it was a great idea.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
So what are thieves going to do now? Steal your phone and chop off your hands just in case?

Funny as it is, this was jokingly considered at release but said it wouldnt work as lack of blood in fingers wouldnt represent the finger prints carefully.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny as it is, this was jokingly considered at release but said it wouldnt work as lack of blood in fingers wouldnt represent the finger prints carefully.

I'm not worried about smart thieves that would know that. It's the crackhead looking to score a rock that concerns me. You think those Einsteins would know?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

And yet they still managed to fool the scanner with prints picked up from a drink glass a few days later.

Don't get me wrong: for all practical intents and purposes, TouchID is more than secure enough for daily use, and while using it, your data won't be compromised unless the NSA is after you.

Nonetheless, a heartbeat apparently isn't as essential as originally anticipated.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
And yet they still managed to fool the scanner with prints picked up from a drink glass a few days later.

Don't get me wrong: for all practical intents and purposes, TouchID is more than secure enough for daily use, and while using it, your data won't be compromised unless the NSA is after you.

Nonetheless, a heartbeat apparently isn't as essential as originally anticipated.

LOL, I am sure it's very possible to compromise touch ID but yes I'm talking about practical intents. It was quite hilarious the ways of fooling the scanner so quickly after launch, but these were people who own their phone and found very minimal margin loopholes. Nonetheless, my point is its a lot easier than 4 digit codes or pattern unlock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo