DLNA vs Miracast

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi Team,

I have been using DLNA to stream photos/Audio and Video from my phones (E7-00, Lumia 900 and Lumia 920) for years now. These days, the newer standard being used is Miracast. I wanted to understand the differences in how they work

From what I understand, DLNA streams content to the receiver, e.g. Photos, Audio and Video. The receiver detects the type and format of the content and plays it.

On the other hand, Miracast simple mirrors the display from the source on the receiver. I see a huge (potential) dis-advantage of Miracast.

1. My Nokia E7-00 had a resolution of 360x640, but was capable of playing back 720p videos. So the video displayed on the receiver was full 720p. Similarly by Lumia 920 has a resolution of 1024x768, but is capable of 1080p playback. using DLNA, I can stream Full HD movies to the receiver.

Miracast on the other hand, only "mirrors" the display. Consequently, will a 1080p video streamed from my 1024x768 Lumia 920 only appear as 1024x768 (I would assume that mirroring would mean an exact copy)?

2. When streaming videos using DLNA, only the playback controls appeared on the source device. In Miracast, is the video playback shown on both the source and the receiver.

PRRobinson81

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
1. I've used Miracast mainly from my tablets (originally Surface 2 and now Surface Pro 3) but I've briefly tested it from my 930 just for fun too. In each case the video on the big screen was running at full HD. (i.e. native resolution of the receiving screen). When I've connected it from Windows it just sees it as another monitor and runs at the right resolution for that monitor. Generally what I've seen suggests that the target resolution wins (e.g. my Surface Pro 3 drops resolution to match the TV). Unfortunately the 930 and Surface 2 are both full-HD displays already so I don't really know if it's truly 'target resolution wins' or 'lowest resolution wins' - sorry I can't be more helpful on that point.

2. Yes, the video and controls appear on both screens - when streaming iPlayer ITV Player etc. I've taken to turning the tablet around so I don't get distracted by the second video (I've also found there's a fraction of a delay between what appears on the tablet and what appears on the big screen - I assume it's an encoding/transmission/decoding delay but it's most obvious with singing/dancing where timing/lip sync is important. Note that the video/audio on the target device is always perfectly sync'd though).

Not really sure if I've been helpful there or not :-S
P

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Answers a lot of my questions. Separate resolution on a Windows tablet and a receiver might be possible, chances are slim for a phone. Will have to check.

Either ways, video playing on both the source and the receiver seems stupid. They should find a way to lock the screen on the source and still play the video on the receiver (DLNA style)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6