10-26-2014 12:52 PM
29 12
tools
    Majority are talking about implementing notifications, settings, shortcuts to that pane. My idea is.. How about an app?

User can choose an app which matters the most to them and access it from that pane. Say, WhatsApp. I just have to swipe over to the left pane and it's the homescreen of the WhatsApp app.

It makes Windows (Phone) have a more unique and personal experience. Just think of the possibilities. Swiping over at you can scroll through your Instagram feed if you're a hipster (I kid). Swiping over and you can see tweets from your friends if you chose Twitter as the app. Or maybe a camera app, one swipe and you're ready to snap away.

Don't know if it's possible to implement this, but I thought it is a really cool idea.
    1st thing came to mind is the panels feature the se x1 had
    Madam ImAdam likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:38 PM
    I think adding functionality to the start screen by utilizing a left to right swipe is a great and needed idea. Perhaps the functions that the action would bring up could be user customized, but I would love to have it replace our duplicate the back arrow of the capacitative key. I use battery saver most of the time, and cannot easily find those keys when I need to.

I think it would be useful if the e first left to right swipe would bring up your last active app screen, then additional l to r swipes would bring up favorites, user set favorites like mail or photos or settings, for example. Maybe three or four pre-set favorites after functioning as a back button. Swiping right from any of these would bring up the current app list immediately, continuing right to left swiping would go back to the start screen.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-2014 11:09 AM
    Great and good looking concept. I really miss this from my Nokia N9. Swipe from the right to get to apps and from the left for an update stream from apps, email, twitter, facebook, weather etc. I would have preferred this kind of differentiating feature to the new notification shade that just copies Android.
    10-26-2014 12:49 PM
    How can the left pane of the Start Screen be used in Windows Phone?
    Attachment 82842

This is a great question regarding the customizability that the OS can potentially offer.

In my opinion, I like the aesthetic design of the OS very much, but I also feel that manufactures may be holding back from jumping unto the Windows Phone bandwagon because they cannot differentiate themselves visually as they can on Android. This seems true to a degree as consumers mostly recognize the experience of respective manufacturers in a visual sense, such as TouchWiz on Samsung devices, Sense on HTC, et cetera.

I would like to think that Windows Phone could offer a compromise here by allowing OEMs to make a custom and unique experience for their consumers in a UI which they can overlay in the leftward side of the Start Screen (i.e. swiping to the left of the Start Screen rather than the right which is current the apps list)

Attachment 82848

That way its more like how PCs and Windows Mobile were differentiated from OEM to OEM.

Attachment 82852 Attachment 82855

How do you all feel about potentially having this sort of customizability? (It might even be open to developers)
    Attachment 82853 Attachment 82854

***Please note that we're not talking about how this will impact the performance of Windows Phone. Just think of it as an ideal, that Microsoft could somehow improve the performance than even on Windows Phone 8***
    Be sure to leave a comment sharing your ideas, thoughts and dislikes.
    Great concepts, I wish if windows phones were like this...
    10-26-2014 12:52 PM
29 12