IPhone 6 sending SMS to Windows devices

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 635. My friend has an iPhone 6 (tmo has no new Windows phones.) why is it that he can't send voice notes to me? The voice icon won't show, even though my phone supports it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you used to have an iPhone its possible your number is still set to receive messages and not SMS's correctly. Text messages typically work but group SMS and other things don't work.
Thank Apple.
To fix, turn off iMessage on your iPhone account. Only way I know is from an iPhone logged into your Apple ID.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After looking at my iPhone 5S running iOS 8.0.2, it looks like the voice messages in the iOS Messaging app are for iMessage only. I have the microphone and can send voice messages to other iMessage users, but the microphone disappears and I cannot send voice messages to regular SMS/MMS users.

Of course, iMessage is Apple's built-in messaging service for iOS. It's not available for non-iOS devices.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
my iPhone 5S running iOS 8.0.2.

Does yr iphone Spotlight have this issues? "spotlight search does not show spotlight suggestions"
I have this problem on my ipad Air device.(ios 8.0.2)
P.s
- Spotlight suggestion check has been marked on setting
- rregion and language are the same too

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Another example of lock in. Rather than use MMS media files like every other phone Apple do something proprietary. I remember now why I left.

Why does everything Apple does for it's phones need to be given to others? If you want cross platform communication use WhatsApp or BBM. Should I expect all of Windows Phone 8 features be given to every other platform now since Windows doesnt support lock-in?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rather than use MMS media files like every other phone Apple do something proprietary.

You can still send pictures and videos over MMS on iOS, just like any other phone. Apple added a feature to iMessage, their WhatsApp/BBM/every-other-non-SMS/MMS-messenger-app competitor. How is that any different from WhatsApp or BBM or whoever sending voice notes to other WhatsApp or BBM users?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why does everything Apple does for it's phones need to be given to others? If you want cross platform communication use WhatsApp or BBM. Should I expect all of Windows Phone 8 features be given to every other platform now since Windows doesnt support lock-in?

It doesn't have to "be given to others", but when you're on an Apple device texting with a non-Apple device and a STANDARDS based method of sending a voice note exists, it should just work. Just like it does between any other device. Even feature phones support this type of messaging...

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So if realwarder is done blaming everything on Apple now and I don't have to go through all the features that should be on Windows Phone 8 right now but aren't, to the OP:

Have the iphone user go to Voice Memos. Record the sound byte and send it that way to whatever user they want

Last edited:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
but when you're on an Apple device texting with a non-Apple device and a STANDARDS based method of sending a voice note exists, it should just work.

Launch Voice Memos. Record a voice memo. Tap the iOS equivalent of the "Send To" button and select Messaging. Ta-da, viola, it does "just work".

What the OP is referring to is a specific function of iMessage, available only to those iOS users who use iMessage. Just like WhatsApp or any other messenging app has features available to only those who use that specific app.

I can not think of a more clear-cut example of "check yourself before you wreck yourself" than your activity in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12