What's the best WP money can buy?

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 928 is starting to wear out, and I'm thinking it might be time for a new one. What's the best phone available, at any price? The Lumia 930? The HTC M8? Another I haven't heard of?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1520 of course. No Glance or SD card slot on the 930, No Glance and a poor camera on the HTC. Deal breakers for me personally

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If he has a 928, he's probably on Verizon. I would advise him to look at the Icon, the M8 and certainly the Ativ SE. Only the M8 has 8.1 though.

I have an M8, the camera's not quite as good as my previous 1520, but it's no slouch. A poor camera is on a Dell Venue Pro, certainly not the M8. Hardware wise, the HTC has an IR port and superior speakers.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending what you value:

Lumia 930/Icon
Lumia 1520
One (M8) for Windows
ATIV SE (although software support seems lacking)

those are the big ones.

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Here are my choices:
1. 1520 (should've bought this for the screen size and specs)
2. 1020 (current device, loving the 41mp)
3. 930/Icon
4. One M8 for WP (wish it was internationally sold, oh well)

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
OK, doing some more research into the internals, I'm liking what I see of the Icon/930, as well as the HTC One. I haven't seen much about the ATIV yet, though it looks intriguing and I will continue my research.

I'm ruling out the 1520 as it's simply too large for me. I have a Kindle tablet that I use when I want a larger screen. Additionally, I'm ruling out the Lumia 830 as it has a 720p screen.

The Lumia 1020 with it's 41mp camera has always held my attention, so I might still consider that. From what I can see, the 930 has the same camera as the 1520. How does the camera on the M8 compare?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
With bitterness in my heart, anything that does not come from Verizon. I now have the AT&T 1520 and love it. The bitterness comes from having the ICON on Verizon and the total lack of WP support from Verizon. Might not hurt Verizon much for me to move on but it damn sure makes me feel better.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the Icon and now have the M8.. Both are awesome devices!

I liked the screen slightly better on the Icon and the Icon camera is also better. The camera on the M8 is fine and takes nice photos. The M8's camera focuses much, much, much faster..

Sound on the M8 obviously demolishes the Icon.. The M8 feels much lighter in the hand and feels more comfortable to hold. The Icon is the better looking device in my opinion.

The M8 comes with Windows 8.1 and who knows if the Icon will ever get it.. The 1520 also comes with 8.1 but that thing is just way to big for me.. It's an awesome phone if you want a mega sized device. I've not used a 1520 so I really can't say much. I briefly played with it in the store before deciding it's just to big!

Another consideration might be aftermarket accessories. The M8 has the benefit of being the exact same size and dimensions as the Android version which means all accessories made for it will work flawlessly on the M8 for Windows version..

I really like both the Icon and the M8. With the Icon being retired by Verizon I'd no longer consider it..

1) HTC One M8 for Windows
2) Nokia Icon
3) Nokia 1520

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the Icon and now have the M8.. Both are awesome devices!

I liked the screen slightly better on the Icon and the Icon camera is also better. The camera on the M8 is fine and takes nice photos. The M8's camera focuses much, much, much faster..

Sound on the M8 obviously demolishes the Icon.. The M8 feels much lighter in the hand and feels more comfortable to hold. The Icon is the better looking device in my opinion.

The M8 comes with Windows 8.1 and who knows if the Icon will ever get it.. The 1520 also comes with 8.1 but that thing is just way to big for me.. It's an awesome phone if you want a mega sized device. I've not used a 1520 so I really can't say much. I briefly played with it in the store before deciding it's just to big!

Another consideration might be aftermarket accessories. The M8 has the benefit of being the exact same size and dimensions as the Android version which means all accessories made for it will work flawlessly on the M8 for Windows version..

I really like both the Icon and the M8. With the Icon being retired by Verizon I'd no longer consider it..

1) HTC One M8 for Windows
2) Nokia Icon
3) Nokia 1520

As an M8 owner, I couldn't have said it better. My only gripe, and it's not a deal breaker, is that the M8 feels small in my hands. The curved back disappears in my palms and I can't quite grip it right. BTW, what's the fuss over the camera? I think the pics are fine for the average user. The macros are very good which is what I need the most.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, doing some more research into the internals, I'm liking what I see of the Icon/930, as well as the HTC One. I haven't seen much about the ATIV yet, though it looks intriguing and I will continue my research.

I'm ruling out the 1520 as it's simply too large for me. I have a Kindle tablet that I use when I want a larger screen. Additionally, I'm ruling out the Lumia 830 as it has a 720p screen.

The Lumia 1020 with it's 41mp camera has always held my attention, so I might still consider that. From what I can see, the 930 has the same camera as the 1520. How does the camera on the M8 compare?
Most who use Lumia will let you know that there is really no comparison and you can generally do mr with the pics on the Lumia vs the m8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre