Nokia Wireless Charger + IKEA Lack Table Mod

Camden Krupala

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Good evening everyone!

With the weekend just around the corner, it's the perfect time for a quick hack/mod!

Earlier this week, I walked into my apartment to find this:
WP_20141009_003.jpg

My roommate's dog had gotten ahold of my wireless charger and decided it was her chew-toy for the day. Fortunately, it was still functional! However, the aesthetic appeal was all but lost. Determined to still get some use out of it and to keep it out of the dog's mouth, I decided to implant it into one of my old IKEA Lack Tables with the intention of simply being able to put the phone down and have it charge.
Here is an outline of what I did:

Step 1: Trace where you will have to cut. Using the charging pad as a reference, make your outline extend ever so slightly past the actual plastic case.
WP_20141009_004.jpg

Step 2: Cutting time! Be careful picking what you want to use to cut into the underside of the table. Since there's only a thin layer of cardboard filler beneath the surface, I could easily see something too sharp puncturing the other side. (Personally, I used a butter-knife. The serrated edges acted like a saw and it was small enough that it was easy to control!)
WP_20141009_006.jpg

Step 3: Remove the cut surface.
WP_20141009_010.jpg

Step 4: Remove the cardboard filler to make room for the charger.
WP_20141009_012.jpg

Step 5: It fits!
WP_20141009_013.jpg

Step 6: This step is entirely up to you! However, I removed the charger's cover and taped over the top of the electronics with duct-tape. This allowed me to get the copper coils even closer to the surface of the table.
WP_20141009_014.jpg

Step 7: Put the charger in place. Ideally, you want to be able to keep the charger as close to the surface of the table as possible. In order to do this, I broke the cut-out piece of table in half and rearranged them within the table to add support and keep the charger from falling out of the hole.
WP_20141009_016.jpg

Step 8: Seal it up! When you're doing this, make sure the wood strip you placed inside the table stays standing. With luck, this will keep the charging plate from shifting when you move the table later.
WP_20141009_017.jpg

Step 9: It works! You may want to mark the table so you know exactly where to put your phone in the future.
WP_20141009_019.jpg

That's it!
I should note that I am not responsible for any fires that might result from this mod. I do NOT know the long term effects of using the charger in this manner. The surface of the table does get warm after charging your phone for an extended period of time. Basically, perform this mod at your own risk!

Thank you for reading! :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Duct Tape, Hell Yes!

Awesome, I'm always modifying my desk with things. My last desk, which was glass, I turned into a massive touchpad using an old webcam mod. Man I miss that desk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea