Introducing Surface Play

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Based on the design of the iPod touch 5th Generation, this is my concept running Windows Phone 8.1 without phone features (Windows 10?) and this is my first ever concept/mockup.
Surface Play Ad.jpg

Meet Surface Play, the new multimedia player by Microsoft.

• 1GB RAM
  • Snapdragon 8xx series processor
  • Windows 10
  • WiFi b/g/n/ac
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE
  • 5.0MP camera front and back
  • Polycarbonate shells
  • Miracast enabled
  • "Hey Cortana" speech feature
  • 4.7 inch HD ClearBlack display

Of course, it's only a device I could dream of wanting. It's basically a Windows Phone without all the phone features, just like Apple did with the iPhone when they made the iPod touch.
You'll be able to run Windows Phone apps so you can have Skype, 6tag, 6snap and all the other daily apps you may use on WP handsets.

What do you think? Would you like it if this happened?
Microsoft Surface Play.jpgback surface play.jpg

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Awesome concept, but the 1gb of ram and processor would be to the only thing to make me consider it over buying a cheap 520 (?59 in the UK) to use as a media player. Also looks a bit too like an iPhone/iPod touch to me.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Awesome concept, but the 1gb of ram and processor would be to the only thing to make me consider it over buying a cheap 520 (?59 in the UK) to use as a media player. Also looks a bit too like an iPhone/iPod touch to me.

I will be working on another concept to adapt from this, using a different design. I know it looks too much like an iPhone/iPod touch, as I had edited a .PSD file to form the basis of the concept :wink:!
I'll be doing a completely new design soon.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I will be working on another concept to adapt from this, using a different design. I know it looks too much like an iPhone/iPod touch, as I had edited a .PSD file to form the basis of the concept :wink:!
I'll be doing a completely new design soon.

Ahh I thought you might've :wink:

I think the store would need some more games to make it an attractive prospect for most consumers however.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Cool idea, but people aren't even buying iPods anymore. I think this use case has been almost completely usurped by smart phones and small tablets.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It makes me wonder if its something that will be worth doing.

I know its popular as being an iPhone without the phone, but then again there are lower cost Lumia's already in that price range that can be bought without service and used the same way.
Maybe it's just a perception thing.

Interesting idea, I still feel its been eaten by phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb