Going to need a second phone. Should it be another Windows Phone??

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
So a little background information. I am a store manager for a Cricket Wireless franchise network. And my company has decided to institute a customer loyalty program that would involve sending customers an occasional text message or phone call with upcoming promotions, or certain sales off of accessories, etc. I would like to avoid using my personal line for doing this for obvious reasons. So, I have decided to get a second phone for this purpose. What I am wondering is if this device should be another Windows Phone or not. I am currently using an HTC 8X as my daily driver and am very pleased with it. I have considered buying an iPhone since all of my co-workers use one and have been urging me to get one, but they are still so expensive. On eBay an iPhone 5 is still going for over $225, which is just obnoxious to me. And I am a little unsure of any Android device that isn't high end. Because of the purpose of this second device, I am not looking for any type of flagship. A solid entry level or midrange device will suffice. I have thought to get a Lumia 630/5 since it is a great value for the money. But is it really a good idea to carry two Windows Phones? Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar dilemma? Thanks in advance guys! :)

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes,its definately a great idea to carry two Windows Phones.
You said you have HTC 8X as your daily driver right? So why not try a Lumia Device?
Nokia(Microsoft) has many apps that you might need for work and also they are updating it.
While the iPhone 5 is still a better choice if not consider its price but as you need a Mid-Range phone i would i like to say that Lumia 635 is the better option for your daily work schedule.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 630 on Cricket about a month ago. It is a nice phone at a decent price. Can you buy one from your own stock?

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I could buy one, but I'd have to pay full cost since there is no markup on the phones themselves. For that money I'd rather buy an AT&T Lumia 635 and get the LTE. I have an Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013) and that has done me well, which I why I'm wondering if I should get an Android work device instead of a WP. I've had a 630 before and did enjoy it considering how much it costed me.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I say get another OS for the simple fact that you already use a WP as your daily driver. But, since cost is a considerable option, an iPhone won't be cheap. You already have a Nexus 7 so... I still say go with an Apple device. That way, you have a chance to view all 3 OSs.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
? So basically you need a phone that's as good as a dumb phone. If that's the case, how come you can't purchase a Nokia Lumia 520? You can find these phones on sale for as low as $19. They do everything that you would want it to do plus more.

Benefits include, full tile layout, settings, backup. So when you enter your MS account everything will look exactly like on your 8x. Text message message backup that populates onto any device with same acct, etc.

Honestly, in your use case, there isn't anything better.

barotropic

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Although it would be good to experience the 3rd OS (iOS) in your line of work, I can tell you from experience: you'll be underwhelmed with an iPhone.

In our home, we use WP and Android devices, and each has its unique strong features. I'm not sure which I prefer.

But 6 months ago, my employer issued an iPad to me, and I must use it in my work. It has one strong feature - stability. Otherwise, it is boring, and far behind the other two OS's. Although I'm a gadget geek, I truly never touch the iPad unless I need to for work. This judgment is based on iOS7. I've read that Apple will reduce its stranglehold on iOS by allowing "swipe" keyboards, and data sharing among apps in iOS8. I'm sure it will be much improved, but I still don't trust the arrogant and overbearing approach Apple has always exhibited.

If you decide on a second WP device, I can't express how impressed I am with the Lumia 520 I use for my house line (replaced the wired line and ported our home number). It's an amazing device for a pittance in cost, and I don't see how Nokia/MS can sell it so low. Great for utility purpose you describe.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
So this is what happened with this. My boss had an iPhone 5 that his mother was using and offered it to me for pretty cheap. But when he brought it in, it wouldn't power on. Left it on the charger overnight but still nothing. Tool it in to apple and they said that the battery had been recalled and needed to be replaced.

They fix the battery and I start using it, download all the apps I use and update it to IOS 8.1. I was thoroughly bored with the UI to be honest. Then while I was out on Friday it died and when I got home and out it on the charger it wouldn't take. So im going to give him the phone back.

So now I've just decided to get another WP. But I am thinking to make this one my main device since the cricket employee line allows for more data.

I also am sitting on $50 in amazon gift cards as a reward from Microsoft for selling Lumias. So im thinking of buying a phone from Amazon. The options seem to be the 635 ($80), 1520 ($230+), 925 (130+), or Ativ S Neo ($120). Kind of think I should just go for the 1520 since it would be sub $200 off contract and that's a steal to me. But the size is still a worry of mine. Thoughts??

wp8-1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
A 925 would be perfect. It is a great price phone that is also high end. I know it isn't the newest phone out there, but definitely not too old. It's specs are far better than many new windows phones. Personally I would make that my daily phone and use 8x as backup (which is what I did). My 8x is still good, but 925 is better (and cheap.) edit: Btw the 925 has a great screen size, big but not phablet big. Also had glance and anything else you would need. Yet, if screen size isn't a problem the 1520 is still a beast.

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I made my decision today everyone. While the 1520 was tempting the price jumped and I don't see myself using a phablet daily. So it came down to an Ativ S Neo or Lumia 925. While the Ativ did have memory card support (which I covet), a lot of negative reviews coupled with a suspect level of support for WP by Samsung made me go with the 925. I've wanted one for a while and now I have one! Ordered it just now from a seller on eBay for $105. Very excited to have a Pureview phone again! :D

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I've had the 925 for a couple days now and I installed the latest version if the OS, loving it so far! It has instantly become one of if not my favorite phone I've ever owned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs