How is Mirrorlink on Windows Phone?

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
All good and well, but it does not help those of us with a VW MirrorLink compatible radio and W10. All we need is for MS to implement MirrorLink via a software app. Hopefully they'll make an announcement at the next Build! conference (they had a demo running last year).

Should be simple, but then, this is Microsoft!

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
All good and well, but it does not help those of us with a VW MirrorLink compatible radio and W10. All we need is for MS to implement MirrorLink via a software app. Hopefully they'll make an announcement at the next Build! conference (they had a demo running last year).

Should be simple, but then, this is Microsoft!

I definitely understand where you're coming from. In your situation you're probably stuck with what you got and/or are not willing to shell out more money for a radio with HDMI just for the continuum feature. Perfectly understandable. Hopefully Microsoft does indeed release an app for Mirrorlink.

But if anyone else is like me and are looking to upgrade our car radios/dash units then the option is there to get one with HDMI since that would probably be the better performing option anyways.

Come to think of it there was always a debate on weather continuum was a useful feature to have and so for this particular situation, I can't think of a better reason to have it. Awesome feature indeed!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Mirrorlink on Windows Phone

A device with HDMI in and Continuum would work wonderfully. It's absolutely 110% doable. Wouldn't even take much effort to be honest. Get an aftermarket radio with HDMI in and that's it.

It may work but experience would be awful as there not set up for continuum . I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I see less and less wp around

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

It may work but experience would be awful as there not set up for continuum . I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I see less and less wp around

Sorry but what are you talking about? You don't need any setup for continuum to work. It just works. It's almost like you have no clue how continuum works.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

The experience would be awful, but because you'd be trying to use desktop-class apps on a car headunit, which is a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, Microsoft needs a dedicated car mode. Something that drastically simplifies the interface akin to what they showed in their concept two years ago. I don't see Continuum as it currently exists being that solution.

Also, the big problem is that Microsoft has less pull in the auto world than they ever have. Even Ford's Sync has switched to QNX instead of Windows Embedded Automotive. So Microsoft's solution needs to be standards-based. I think Mirrorlink is the best chance they have, but even that isn't exactly ubiquitous.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Sorry but what are you talking about? You don't need any setup for continuum to work. It just works. It's almost like you have no clue how continuum works.

Ok try it on one any aftermarket head unit with hdmi and see! These head units don't have the processing power of pc . I'm mecp certified gold! Tested just about every brand touch screen out there! I've been at this for a very very long time sometime what supposed to work doesn't ! So if you have a wp with continuum ... And an hdmi head unit try it and let us know how that panned out!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Oh and when you are having issues ...nether party will be updating to address the problems . Awesome huh?

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Ok try it on one any aftermarket head unit with hdmi and see! These head units don't have the processing power of pc . I'm mecp certified gold! Tested just about every brand touch screen out there! I've been at this for a very very long time sometime what supposed to work doesn't ! So if you have a wp with continuum ... And an hdmi head unit try it and let us know how that panned out!

Dude...really?? The head units don't need any processing power at all. You are simply using them as monitors. Your phone is doing all the work because that's how continuum works. You just proved you don't know anything about continuum and how it works.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
The experience would be awful, but because you'd be trying to use desktop-class apps on a car headunit, which is a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, Microsoft needs a dedicated car mode. Something that drastically simplifies the interface akin to what they showed in their concept two years ago. I don't see Continuum as it currently exists being that solution.

Also, the big problem is that Microsoft has less pull in the auto world than they ever have. Even Ford's Sync has switched to QNX instead of Windows Embedded Automotive. So Microsoft's solution needs to be standards-based. I think Mirrorlink is the best chance they have, but even that isn't exactly ubiquitous.

How exactly would the experience be "aweful". Desktop class apps? Continuum has different modes and one of them is to simply mirror what's on your phone screen. I don't see what's so horrible in that. Hyperbole much?

Besides, WC even had an article recently talking about continuum being used with your car. And in a previous post I did say it would be nice if Microsoft had a Mirrorlink app. It's just that continuum is what we happen to have NOW. I think it's funny I'm being attacked for suggesting something that will indeed work, especially by that other guy who obviously doesn't know jack because he thinks that your radio must have some processing power for continuum to work. But whatever.

http://m.windowscentral.com/your-windows-10-pc-or-smartphone-could-stream-your-cars-dashboard-future

Last edited:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
How exactly would the experience be "aweful". Desktop class apps? Continuum has different modes and one of them is to simply mirror what's on your phone screen. I don't see what's so horrible in that. Hyperbole much?

Besides, WC even had an article recently talking about continuum being used with your car. And in a previous post I did say it would be nice if Microsoft had a Mirrorlink app. It's just that continuum is what we happen to have NOW. I think it's funny I'm being attacked for suggesting something that will indeed work, especially by that other guy who obviously doesn't know jack because he thinks that your radio must have some processing power for continuum to work. But whatever.

http://m.windowscentral.com/your-windows-10-pc-or-smartphone-could-stream-your-cars-dashboard-future

Bud no ones bashing . I work in 12 volt everyday you may know more than me on " continuum" but I know all there is to know about car audio! Mirror link has issues with certain phones that are set up to work with it, Microsoft has had the worst experience with in car entertainment. With ms history in cars .... Any ones bet will say it won't work.maybe just as a mirror but no functionality . May have not studied continuum but have countless hours studying car audio.
I've actually passed this thru the 12 volt forums and all have said although would be nice feature probably won't work and if it does it won't work well not until manufactor of in dashes implement continuum in them

adamx98

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
So, here's my take on it. Sure, the processing power is a non-issue. That's all done onboard on the phone and passed through the "puck" out the HDMI cable. The car's display would literally just be a display device/monitor. The problem there would be that it would be ONLY that. Like, it would be on the phone "channel" and not able to display any other car data or info. So you'd lose potentially a ton of functionality.

Secondly, yes.. it acts like a desktop, but at the crappy resolutions those screens have? Yeah, I don't want a desktop experience on that kind of display. I'm going to label this idea (at least, as it stands currently by MS's implementation) as "spandex". That is to say, just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should". :).

For what it's worth, I've been a loyal WP fan for many years. Took delivery of my '16 Passat last night and my phone is almost useless with it. I am now using a friend's Nexus 5. Plugged it in to the car and boom... worked like a dream. It even read Skype messages aloud to me while I was driving! That's something I was praying for Cortana to be able to do with WP. I mean... C'mon. It's Microsoft's own products! Why couldn't that work even if I was just running an aux cable to my headunit (gave up on getting BT pairing to work w/Cortana in an easy way).

MS needs to seriously step up their game in the automotive space.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Bud no ones bashing . I work in 12 volt everyday you may know more than me on " continuum" but I know all there is to know about car audio! Mirror link has issues with certain phones that are set up to work with it, Microsoft has had the worst experience with in car entertainment. With ms history in cars .... Any ones bet will say it won't work.maybe just as a mirror but no functionality . May have not studied continuum but have countless hours studying car audio.
I've actually passed this thru the 12 volt forums and all have said although would be nice feature probably won't work and if it does it won't work well not until manufactor of in dashes implement continuum in them

You keep repeating the same misinformation. You claim to "know everything about car audio" which is fine and dandy except you don't you don't know about anything else at least as it pertains to the discussion at hand. There is no need for anyone to "implement" continuum into the radios/head units. That's not how it works. Let me ask you this: How in the world do you think continuum works right this very moment? Do you think that every monitor out there comes pre-loaded with some sort of continuum pixie-dust that enables it?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You keep repeating the same misinformation. You claim to "know everything about car audio" which is fine and dandy except you don't you don't know about anything else at least as it pertains to the discussion at hand. There is no need for anyone to "implement" continuum into the radios/head units. That's not how it works. Let me ask you this: How in the world do you think continuum works right this very moment? Do you think that every monitor out there comes pre-loaded with some sort of continuum pixie-dust that enables it?

The discussion is if car manufacturers, 12 volt aftermarket head unit manufactures will have support for mirro link which alow to mirror and be able to operate and access functions from the phone on screen. From my last kenwood jvc training neither are interested as its all about car play and android auto . Mirror link that has been out for a while now still work poorly but this new " continuum" will work great? It may mirror but like I and most have said it will look horrible and on mirror no onscreen functionality . Not the same as either mirror link car play or android auto . It's not misinformation.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The discussion is if car manufacturers, 12 volt aftermarket head unit manufactures will have support for mirro link ...

Well, the discussion is if Windows (10) Mobile will have Mirrorlink capability, not just with aftermarket head units, but with the OEM units installed by the car manufacturers. My 2016 Jetta is capable of using Mirrorlink, Apple's Car Play and Android Auto. So VW has taken the trouble to integrate all three main automotive communication protocols out there, yet (BT aside) I still cannot use any of them with my Lumia 950 running the latest W10M OS.

To think that Microsoft thinks this is acceptable is rediculous!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, the discussion is if Windows (10) Mobile will have Mirrorlink capability, not just with aftermarket head units, but with the OEM units installed by the car manufacturers. My 2016 Jetta is capable of using Mirrorlink, Apple's Car Play and Android Auto. So VW has taken the trouble to integrate all three main automotive communication protocols out there, yet (BT aside) I still cannot use any of them with my Lumia 950 running the latest W10M OS.

To think that Microsoft thinks this is acceptable is rediculous!

Well like I've been saying and now we have a 950 owner , with a new car with mirror link, android auto and apple car play and nothing works but Bluetooth . With or with out " continuum"! No other wp works I car for onscreen controls . I've actually been crabbing about this since my 920 but I admit not sure as for car oems but as for aftermarket none are interested in " Microsoft auto" and just got of the phone with jvc whom Is parent to kenwood implies that they've gotten no word from Microsoft on this as well but wp is probably not in a position to invest on that . But like I said cortana works ok. Maybe in the future but I've been saying that for a few years .

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It's 2016 and I've given up on the idea of mirrorlink in the car. Meh, whatever. Both my wife's and my car have in-dash nav, full bluetooth audiostream and play music from iPods and USB flash drives. Good enough.

felickz

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
It's 2016 and I've given up on the idea of mirrorlink in the car. Meh, whatever. Both my wife's and my car have in-dash nav, full bluetooth audiostream and play music from iPods and USB flash drives. Good enough.

Never give up. I don't want an infotainment computer in my car, i already have one in my pocket everywhere i go. Increasingly more people do every day.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is, Microsoft is a phone manufacturing member of the Car Connectivity Consortium. It is really disappointing that they don't have any interest in supporting Windows in the car. Even Bluetooth has all kinds of problems in Windows Phone 8.1 as well as 10 Mobile.

Car Connectivity consortium

I will most likely be getting an iPhone for my next phone since Microsoft has no intention of further development of Windows for use in the car.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So there's no update on this?

I really don't want a head unit that has built in SatNav as I trust Here Maps much more.

I have an old iPhone I could use for music, and sat nav in the car with Mirrorlink but really I just want my phone (Lumia 930 but will be upgrading to another WP in Nov 16) to do the job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077