Android Lollipop looking good (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
And to those of you that say that Android is an extremely power hungry OS and that it won't run properly on dual core.

Android may have been power hungry at some time in it's past, no longer does that hold true.

The power saver mode on my Nexus 5 under clocks the CPU to 700 - 900 MHz(tested with CPU stats) and the phone also hesitates to activate the fourth core. But even despite this under clock on Lollipop my phone runs decently smooth(not flawless but still I'm trying to make a point).

And those of you that emphasize way too much on how core count matters and Android doesn't run on dual core, that is also untrue. The Nexus 9, which is a flagship device, came out with a dual core processor just recently and it's pretty fast.

So please most complaints that people have had with Android in the past are being resolved, and any chance that Windows Phone once had of success is slowly fading away...

And even Microsoft knows this: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213489/microsoft-leaves-windows-users-in-the-cold
Please explain how the m8 Windows version has 12 hours more battery life than the android version? That is the most accurate comparison of them all, exactly same phone with different OS. So android is power and resource hungry.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Do you know word "REVIEW"
I am talking about the review not the wrong spread rumor.
Show me a review.
because in real test it doesn't show any battery efficiency over Android.

Even Mobile Nation hadn't post this wrong rumor.

do you even open links or just use post quotes???

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If bringing in percentages is your thing.

25% of Android devices run KitKat, which is the most recent stable version as per statistics.

Those 25% outnumber the total number of WP users out there.

Basically there are more phones running KitKat than there are active Windows Phones out there.

Really puts that into perspective, don't it?

Z10 is a BlackBerry device, again you can't refrain from bringing in every single device known to man kind whether it is relevant or not.

The Nexus 5 is a budget phone with flagship specifications, and in that endeavour there are things that need to be sacrificed.

I actually thought you we're a knowledgeable person, but if you we're you would know that:

- The Lumia 720 powers way less pixels, it's not a 1080 panel like the Nexus.

- The 720 also has a much smaller screen.

- The 720 also has a much weaker CPU and GPU.

That's not a fair comparison in the least, and if you knew even a slight bit about phones you would know that.

keep telling yourself that and keep not reading stuff properly
if it makes you feel better,be happy that way but it wont change the truth
its just that you say Nexus 5 with android L is power efficient and changes clock speeds to low when not needed then go on to say the only reason L720 has good battery life is the "inferior" hardware
you sir are delusional,the M8 proves the advantages of windows phone and you cant bear to accept credit for a non-android

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Please explain how the m8 Windows version has 12 hours more battery life than the android version? That is the most accurate comparison of them all, exactly same phone with different OS. So android is power and resource hungry.

We'll since none of you seem to have the mental capacity to understand, I'll explain.

There are several reasons for why the Android version consumers more battery, and Android itself doesn't have a lot to do with this as much as HTC itself does.

The HTC One M8 for Android and Windows are described as perfect competitors for OSes, but they aren't.

For starters DMC has posted credible info regarding how the M8 for Windows has less brightness on preset levels than the Android variant, take this into account because it matters a lot.

Other than this the Android version features tons more lock screen gestures and shortcuts, this involves keeping either the proximity or gravity sensor active at all times, the Windows Phone version only keeps proximity active and doesn't support a fraction of the gestures of hardware shortcuts.

Moving onto the homescreen the Blink feed app refreshes on Android every now and then, it's a content heavy application so it does consume data and battery.

There's tons more info regarding this. But to keep this short HTC has baked more features into the Android variant, and they consume more power.

The M8 for Windows is essentially an M8 with significantly less features from HTC's side and also less features than Android (because of Windows Phone).

Oh and if the LED light takes any battery you could also add that, because the M8 for Windows doesn't support any such thing either.

keep telling yourself that and keep not reading stuff properly
if it makes you feel better,be happy that way but it wont change the truth
its just that you say Nexus 5 with android L is power efficient and changes clock speeds to low when not needed then go on to say the only reason L720 has good battery life is the "inferior" hardware
you sir are delusional,the M8 proves the advantages of windows phone and you cant bear to accept credit for a non-android

Not just inferior hardware. If you knew the basics of mobile technology you would know how much of an impact a higher resolution display has.

Also your statement about Android L is also completely wrong. Android(and almost every other OS released in 21st century) under clocks the CPU when not in use. But when you compare a Lumia 720 to a Nexus 5, the Nexus 5 has a lot more cores to power

Quite an unfair comparison if you ask me. But obviously all amount of logical reason just passes by you.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
thats not at all true,L1520 has excellent battery life infact its the 2nd best after the L720

Do you even read the comment?

You might need to read my comment again.

And L1520 is the best battery back up and L720 have just decent battery backup because of inferior or low hardware.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I also don't understand how people say Windows Phone is faster. On near identical hardware Android always opens apps faster, scrolls faster and multitasks faster.

Seriously if any of you have a Nexus 5 compare it with your 1520. You'll see how much faster the Nexus is.

Samsung devices IMO are some of the only ones giving Android a bad name from a performance point of view, but pure unadulterated Android beats the crap out of WP.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Honestly I also don't understand how people say Windows Phone is faster. On near identical hardware Android always opens apps faster, scrolls faster and multitasks faster.

Seriously if any of you have a Nexus 5 compare it with your 1520. You'll see how much faster the Nexus is.

Samsung devices IMO are some of the only ones giving Android a bad name from a performance point of view, but pure unadulterated Android beats the crap out of WP.

Talking about apps, that fluidity in opening and resuming apps on Android is because of proper optimisations and updates. Try running an app coded for Jellybean on Lollipop. Things would be different.

Similarly, there are WP8.1 apps which open instantly and resume instantly. The app just needs to support that and the dev needs to optimise the code (which few WP devs do). That's nothing wrong with the OS. It is fast and fluid on all hardware. The few Loading... and Resuming... screens I see on my 1020 are limited to particular apps (Skype, Cortana, Lumia Camera, Xbox Games, etc.). Many other similar apps are fast and fluid. And the best part is that the OS itself is VERY fluid.

Hell, my friend's Lumia 530 shows even lesser (almost no) Resuming... and Loading... screens even with crappy apps like Skype, Xbox Music, Xbox Games, etc. On his 530, Tetra lock screen has no lag, Xbox Games opens as fast as WP7/8.0 Games Hub, (compared Lumia 530 with Samsung Focus side-by-side) Cortana starts up instantly, etc. So that all means excellent optimisations which are absent even from my Lumia 1020 (which might be due to Developers' Preview on my phone, but still).

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Talking about apps, that fluidity in opening and resuming apps on Android is because of proper optimisations and updates. Try running an app coded for Jellybean on Lollipop. Things would be different.
Similarly, there are WP8.1 apps which open instantly and resume instantly. The app just needs to support that and the dev needs to optimise the code (which few WP devs do). That's nothing wrong with the OS. It is fast and fluid on all hardware.

One of the biggest complaints with WP is the camera speed. It's amazing how fast the camera is on a lot of Androids, compared to WP, and I'm sure it will be even better on Lolipop.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
One of the biggest complaints with WP is the camera speed. It's amazing how fast the camera is on a lot of Androids, compared to WP, and I'm sure it will be even better on Lolipop.

Tried the Camera360 Pro Beta app? It is as fast as the iOS camera. Ever tried the native MS Camera? It is fast enough and launches with the camera button. Tried Camera 1020 app from the Store? It is as fast as MS Camera and takes high-res pictures, too. Heard about Lumia Camera v5? It is going to be wicked fast on newer hardware.
There are plenty of alternatives if you think Lumia Camera pre-v5 is slow.

Last edited:

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hahahahahah.

So Windows Phone won one GPU benchmark and that translates into real time performance? No it doesn't and frankly the test is flawed. Buuut....if you take time the time to check your information, you'll realize how wrong you are:

Actually with the same GPU. Windows Phone is faster. Snapdragon 800 beating a Snapdragon 801 that is higher clocked. Of course Adreno 420 is going to be faster than Adreno 330.
bench.png

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If bringing in percentages is your thing.

25% of Android devices run KitKat, which is the most recent stable version as per statistics.

Those 25% outnumber the total number of WP users out there.

Basically there are more phones running KitKat than there are active Windows Phones out there.

Really puts that into perspective, don't it?

Z10 is a BlackBerry device, again you can't refrain from bringing in every single device known to man kind whether it is relevant or not.

The Nexus 5 is a budget phone with flagship specifications, and in that endeavour there are things that need to be sacrificed.

I actually thought you we're a knowledgeable person, but if you we're you would know that:

- The Lumia 720 powers way less pixels, it's not a 1080 panel like the Nexus.

- The 720 also has a much smaller screen.

- The 720 also has a much weaker CPU and GPU.

That's not a fair comparison in the least, and if you knew even a slight bit about phones you would know that.

WOW, so if 720 has a better battery life, you take into consideration the lower display, weaker gpu etc, but don't take into consideration that, 720 has a lesser battery capacity than nexus 5. Great in either way you won't swallow the truth.
If someone wants to live in the fantasy dream world that Android has a better battery life than WP, fine why should I be the bearer of bad news.
Also my cousins have androids, their phones battery doesn't even last as long as my 710(1300 mAh battery), so comparing those with my 1320 is way way far off.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
And to those of you that say that Android is an extremely power hungry OS and that it won't run properly on dual core.

Android may have been power hungry at some time in it's past, no longer does that hold true.

The power saver mode on my Nexus 5 under clocks the CPU to 700 - 900 MHz(tested with CPU stats) and the phone also hesitates to activate the fourth core. But even despite this under clock on Lollipop my phone runs decently smooth(not flawless but still I'm trying to make a point).

And those of you that emphasize way too much on how core count matters and Android doesn't run on dual core, that is also untrue. The Nexus 9, which is a flagship device, came out with a dual core processor just recently and it's pretty fast.

So please most complaints that people have had with Android in the past are being resolved, and any chance that Windows Phone once had of success is slowly fading away...

And even Microsoft knows this: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7213489/microsoft-leaves-windows-users-in-the-cold

My friend has note 3, it lags even while having octa core processor.

Whether Android utilizes those extra cores or not doesn't matter actually. It has always been power hungry.

Talking about MS services on other oses, if MS hadn't provided the services to other OSes, then people would complain that MS is being biased, if it has now provided the services still people complain about it. Either way, WP is bad & MS is doing injustice right? MS & Google have different policies, Microsoft's services are not targeted solely on its own OS, whereas Google provides services to Android, so that those using Google services have to buy Android! Google has its own dirty policies to increase android's market share, WP doesn't.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I've yet to see an Android phone which doesn't lag. Yes I've seen some in stores which doesn't, but that changes when you buy one, fill few stuff in it. Not only Samsung, my friend got a virus in his nexus 5 in just one week(without even rooting), you would say he might have done some stupid, but doesn't 1 week sound a very less time to catch a virus.
My Lumia 710 is 28 months old, Lumia 1320 is 10 months old, both of them worked flawlessly even when it had less than 1 Mb memory remaining! Can any Android even work when there's so less memory remaining?
I'm pretty sure I'll get many flaws in lollipop too as soon as I get my hands on it.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Can't we all agree that:

-Neither Android nor Windows Phone is perfect
-Both are getting better and more complete each update
-Nobody here will switch over to Android just because OP made a thread to talk about how wonderful Google is because... This is called Windows Central, damn it
-no one here is Google's or Microsoft's shareholder (at least i believe so), so no need for these wars - they are pointless, because in the end people will keep using what works for them
-we all NEED Windows Phone, even iOS and Android users, for a simple reason: More competion = lower prices, better and newer features at a faster pace. We all win.

So yeah, how about people just use whatever they like? I intend to hold on to WP until i see how W10 goes...

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Can't we all agree that:

-Neither Android nor Windows Phone is perfect
-Both are getting better and more complete each update
-Nobody here will switch over to Android just because OP made a thread to talk about how wonderful Google is because... This is called Windows Central, damn it
-no one here is Google's or Microsoft's shareholder (at least i believe so), so no need for these wars - they are pointless, because in the end people will keep using what works for them
-we all NEED Windows Phone, even iOS and Android users, for a simple reason: More competion = lower prices, better and newer features at a faster pace. We all win.

So yeah, how about people just use whatever they like? I intend to hold on to WP until i see how W10 goes...

^^^ I've already said all that stuff before in different threads to the same people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos