Windows 8.1 vs Lollipop or Kit Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I know this will draw some hate, but here goes:

If MS doesn't come out with a new 6 inch flagship, I will soon be taking my family plans 4 phones to Android . I know there are many Android converts here and want their and others advice. I basically use my 1020 as my PC. It does everything I need for both a phone and PC (although its getting old and I need a bigger screen). IOS can't come close to 8.1 for my needs, but since Android is less of a walled garden can it do all that 8.1 does? For the record, I wont be leaving happily, as I go back to pocket pc's and WM with my hardware...

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I know this will draw some hate, but here goes:

If MS doesn't come out with a new 6 inch flagship, I will soon be taking my family plans 4 phones to Android . I know there are many Android converts here and want their and others advice. I basically use my 1020 as my PC. It does everything I need for both a phone and PC (although its getting old and I need a bigger screen). IOS can't come close to 8.1 for my needs, but since Android is less of a walled garden can it do all that 8.1 does? For the record, I wont be leaving happily, as I go back to pocket pc's and WM with my hardware...

What do you do in particular? I just left WP 8.1, after having 3 WP phones, because, I think, that is way behind Android. My biggest issue is, IE, IT SUCKS. To top it off there isnt a better IE app on WP. For what I use it for, Android is a way better experience for me , but everyone is different.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
lookint like I may be going back to Apple, Softcard doesn't know when or if they will add more credit cards and I was notiied that my primary credit card already works with ApplePay. I have to wait till September but if nothing appears to replace my 1020 I don't know that I will stay

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
What do you do in particular? I just left WP 8.1, after having 3 WP phones, because, I think, that is way behind Android. My biggest issue is, IE, IT SUCKS. To top it off there isnt a better IE app on WP. For what I use it for, Android is a way better experience for me , but everyone is different.

I literally use the phone as my PC. I do not use my PC or tablet (hard to quantify, but I have not used my PC in 7 months). And I want a 6 inch phablet to use in this same manner. In no way would I get the 1520 now, and with nothing on the horizon, thats why I am considering Android

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
sure the 1520 may be one year old BUT it doesen't make it a bad device!

it still has a great AMOLED screen, a Snap 800 with 4 krait cores @ 2.2Ghz, Adreno 330, 2GB RAM, really great camera too and will surely be updated to Windows 10

the specs might seem "old" but are still perfectly capable of handling WP more than well!

heck, even on my 830 WP runs flawlessly and that's a Snap 400 + 1GB combo!

also I'd say wait until Xmas to see if MS has nothing else to pull off their sleeves...I saw news like 2 days ago there will be a Lumia secret event next week, in UK, so who knows what might still come?

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks flr the info. Windows phone 8.1 does great, it's just the lack of premium phablet hardware - 1520 is old btw

1520 is old but if you compare it to this year's releases, this WP's second only to HTC One for Windows in terms of hardware. Mine is almost a year old but it still works flawlessly. :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Ever traveled on a plane with a bus ticket? No, I hope. Because that's what you are doing. Comparing a hopelessly designed, technically copied from another (iOS) OS, and "open-source" which in other words a hacker's wet dream. You want to move from WP to Android for lack of a flagship? I don't mean to be rude but that's the weakest argument I've heard since years. If I were to believe what you said, you are happy with WP, but just because there is no flagship, you want to jump boat. Doesn't sound very strong now does it?

mdau

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Ever traveled on a plane with a bus ticket? No, I hope. Because that's what you are doing. Comparing a hopelessly designed, technically copied from another (iOS) OS, and "open-source" which in other words a hacker's wet dream. You want to move from WP to Android for lack of a flagship? I don't mean to be rude but that's the weakest argument I've heard since years. If I were to believe what you said, you are happy with WP, but just because there is no flagship, you want to jump boat. Doesn't sound very strong now does it?

On top of what you have said, there's is 1520 and 930, they are still great windows phone devices with great cameras, battery life especially in 1520 is good, display is also very good. Better phones from microsoft are going to happen no doubt. I am sure he's not going to leave windows os just because of the lack of devices.

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

LOL go away or answer the question

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
LOL go away or answer the question
There will be flagships. You will have to wait. WP doesn't need OCTA CORE Processors and 3GB RAMs. You are happy with WP I know that. The flagships you are talking about (of the competition) is going to be outdated in 2 months flat. There are multiple OEMs for Android and Apple has a superb control over media and its fanboys. MS has a car with one wheel and its doing all it can to win the race. Innovations? Check. Design aesthetics? Check. Build quality? Check. Advertising dollars? Double check. In short, MS is going to lead the pack soon. So now its up to you, if you want to join a clan that thrives on stolen ideas(Android) or one that is running around like a headless chicken when it comes to design (Apple).

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
big thing is, is, that nokia/microsofts "unflagship" is much better than samesongs highly touted flagship note. I have the 1020 and a note running kitkat. The note is slow, laggy and the OS is just jumping all over the place. My nokia 1020 is technically "inferior" to my note phone, however its buttery smooth, fast and the camera is approximately 10000000000 times better. I have yet to take a good photo with the notes camera. The only reason im using the note is I dropped my nokia and shattered the screen. Every day tasks that I do on my 1020, are a chore on the note because of lag, and poor overall performance from the Android ecosystem. Its poor, at best. I can guarantee that the 1520 while "technically inferior" and does not meet your definition of flagship, is a much better phone, tablet, device than the note will ever be. I would look at overall experience than the hard specs. The samesong needs 8 cores etc in order to make android remotely run smooth. The 1520 does not need a powerful processor to run WINPHONE. Then, look at camera performance, (or lack there of in Samsung), Another useful feature unlike having the fastest processor when not needed. Look at sound quality both from the external speaker and the headphone jack. Again, Lumia rules the roost here. Then, look at battery life. I can go all day and then some with my Lumia. My note needs to be plugged in by early afternoon. Lumia wins again. Hell, this one is not even looked at any more. Call quality. The call quality and signal reception of the Lumia is vastly superior than the note as well.

See, specs don't tell the story. User experience does. yes, android gets more apps, but I have every major app on my Lumia and they run great and provide a great user experience. I could care less about specs, A flagship phone should provide the best USER EXPERIENCE regardless of specs.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
^^ I agree. Specs according to me doesn't matter much as long as I get flawless experience on a phone. Android always had a upper hand in terms of features, but it always had issues of lagging etc. On the other hand, WP is much better. I am a gamer still WP is perfect for me, I don't crave for some specific games, but I always get better alternatives instead(most of the time).
1520 still is the best buy according to me. Leaving WP just because there are no flagships? That's pretty vague reason. Also you should buy 1520 as Microsoft already confirmed that all WP 8 devices would be getting WP 10 update!
Sent from my dark knight 1320

ali235

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
hi there. you are forgetting that all of the android don't have lollipop and by the time they will have it we windows user will have win 10 which will be far better than lollipop. it happened in the past when google launched kitkat ............ those faithful to wp waited and got 8.1 which was far much better than kitkat........as for app gap it won't be problem for long .net is going open source and it will work on other platforms too.........so it will pique the interest of developers............. as for flagship there are plenty out there and plenty will be launched soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb