Sooo I need a new Nokia phone! Help!

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So my Nokia 810 has finally crapped out on me, after two years, ****ty memory storage issues, no upgrades to 8.1, a 6 month study abroad trip through Europe, countless falls and acting as my GPS and Camera combined. My phone is finally giving in. It barely charges, and just the last 2-3 months the screen started cracking, and the cover started breaking.

I've been super out of the loop on windows phone however, besides Microsoft buying most of Nokia, and the 1520 one of my bosses keeps flashing at me, that has been all the exposure to Windows Phone I've had this year..

So I've turned to you guys to help me decide the next lumia I should get, obviously having owned the lumia 810, means my standards are not that high, neither is my budget hopefully something $150-$200 of less so probably none of the higher end products :/
Other than that as long as it has 8.1(unless theres been another update?), cortana, compatable with Tmobile, flash, 8megapixel camera, and 16GB of internal storage, I am good to go! Any suggestion on Lumias that fit the description?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So it isn't a Lumia but the HTC One M8 for Windows is getting good reviews and is on tmobile.

HTC One M8 Windows Phone | Powered by Windows 8.1 | T-Mobile

Why suggest a m8 if the user is not looking for an m8.

Op you can find an unlocked Lumia 928 for roughly $200 or so dollars. And you can also probably if you raise your budget get a 920/925. $200-250 range

If you really wanted to splurge buy the Lumia 1020 unlocked. Twice your budget but you have the best camera as well :D a year and a half later and I'm still envious and want it

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
if you can go up to $300 I'd recommend trying to find a lumia 925.

They go for around $250-280, they all have 8.1 and cyan, though I wouldn't expect any more official updates from the T-mobile variant (you could try looking for a factory unlocked one, as microsoft still supports the device)

T-mobile also carries the 635 in store, which isnt a bad phone at all, though in my honest opinion, the 925 is just to sexy! I recently bought a 1520, still have my 925 laying around, rather hesitant to get rid of it since its such a beautiful device lol

You also have the option to wait and see what launches with Windows 10

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
It depends on what you need and what you want.
Just look at some comparison techsites and reviews ( for video reviews you can use YouTube).

No one can decide for you, cause we don't know what your are looking for in a phone.
Just make a list of al your wishes and work from there.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Check Amazon for Nokia Lumia 920. Seen plenty "new" for 200 and less for refurb and used.

Edit: Forgot about tmobile, but they are listing unlocked models for the same price.

Last edited:

Alec Kong

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I got a Nokia Lumia Icon/929 from "EBAY"..... No kidding bro. For 260 dollars (USD) "UNLOCKED" refurbished. nothing wrong with it. well just dent marks on one side(you can barely see it). the user is deal.fisher <---- And also the Denim update for icon is coming up, as it was said to be announced in 2015 (early january) The camera is amazing! can't wait for denim update tho... been waiting for so long.... And if you dont trust ebay. go amazon. search up deal.fisher he's on amazon too

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A good used Lumia 925 most closely fits your criteria (T-Mobile, camera, flash, Cortana, 16GB storage). Now, finding a good one in the $150-$200 range is all that is left. I hope you find one. It's an outstanding phone. Other than that I can't think of a phone compatible with T-Mobile with what you request. There may be something else but I'll leave that with more knowledgeable Lumia enthusiasts. :amaze:

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Most of you guys agree between the 925 or the 928
(although isnt the 928 for verizon? or do they have unlocked ones that work with the tmobile network)
which is great coz I hadnt thought of it and although I remember when it first came out it didnt really draw my attention now looking into it again I'm starting to see what you guys see in it.
I was also looking into the lumia 1320 since I can find them pretty easily within my range however most of them seem to be through cricket...I also saw the lumia 830, tho that will be hard to find within my price range :/
I might just get a 530 in the meanwhile (I saw some on craiglist for under $50) until I find a steal on a 925 or an 830?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost certain a 928 (Verizon) would not work on T-Mobile. The 830 is a great phone and I have the unlocked version (RM-985) I bought from B&H Photo. It's working very well on T-Mobile getting great LTE all over where I live. However, it's a bit pricey and doesn't fit into your price range :cry:

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost certain a 928 (Verizon) would not work on T-Mobile. The 830 is a great phone and I have the unlocked version (RM-985) I bought from B&H Photo. It's working very well on T-Mobile getting great LTE all over where I live. However, it's a bit pricey and doesn't fit into your price range :cry:

I agree Mark! I really love the 830 (what is up with me and the 800 series?) but deff out of my price range, and dont think I'll be able to find it for under $200 for a whilllleeeee...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Find any Lumia in your price range. They are all awesome! I can't think of a bad model. Nokia got their crap together in design. I have 2 1020s and are the best phones I have ever owned. I would say go 925 if you can find one in box. There are new unlocked in box versions of every nokia phone on ebay. I love that place.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree Mark! I really love the 830 (what is up with me and the 800 series?) but deff out of my price range, and dont think I'll be able to find it for under $200 for a whilllleeeee...

If you're going to get a 530......might as well get a Lumia 635 in my opinion which is a little better.

In regards to the Lumia 928, the Verizon windows phones are unlocked as some people are using their Verizon windows phone on other carriers but I do know that sometimes there have been reports of MMS not working. I am not sure if that has been fixed or not. I haven't used Verizon lumia 928 in over a year.

If you can't find a Lumia in the price range...why not try this phone out. Blu is probably the MVP of the year imo outside of Lumia simply because I hear about them a lot and they have some fun phones that are in your price range

http://www.amazon.com/5-Inch-Window...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2912707

And this phone is unlocked and under 200 dollars :p
Of course if you add 20 dollars to your budget

Get yourself a Lumia 920 UNLOCKED from amazon :)
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 920 Smartphone - unlocked - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to get a 530......might as well get a Lumia 635 in my opinion which is a little better.

In regards to the Lumia 928, the Verizon windows phones are unlocked as some people are using their Verizon windows phone on other carriers but I do know that sometimes there have been reports of MMS not working. I am not sure if that has been fixed or not. I haven't used Verizon lumia 928 in over a year.

If you can't find a Lumia in the price range...why not try this phone out. Blu is probably the MVP of the year imo outside of Lumia simply because I hear about them a lot and they have some fun phones that are in your price range

Robot Check

And this phone is unlocked and under 200 dollars :p
Of course if you add 20 dollars to your budget

Get yourself a Lumia 920 UNLOCKED from amazon :)
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 920 Smartphone - unlocked - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Well damn that BLU phone looks pretty good! And I get to take advantage of my amazon promo code (10% off) which would make it right at the lower end of my budget! Ima have to do more research about the brand since I've never heard of it...tho is it me or does it look like a HTC One and Lumia phone had a love child?

I just realized my roommate has her old cracked lumia 920 (dont ask me how she managed to crack one) laying around so I might pick up that while I scoundrel the internet...now Im in between this BLU phone and the 925 hmmm

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well damn that BLU phone looks pretty good! And I get to take advantage of my amazon promo code (10% off) which would make it right at the lower end of my budget! Ima have to do more research about the brand since I've never heard of it...tho is it me or does it look like a HTC One and Lumia phone had a love child?

I just realized my roommate has her old cracked lumia 920 (dont ask me how she managed to crack one) laying around so I might pick up that while I scoundrel the internet...now Im in between this BLU phone and the 925 hmmm
I am not too familiar with blu but Daniel rubino/windows central are always praising the blue win hd alot on the articles from what I have seen of them :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I've got a Nokia Lumia ICON in mint condition with box, charger and Incipio case shipped for $240 if you are interested. It's a high end phone; somewhat better than the one's I've seen mentioned. It's also unlocked and can be used on AT&T, T-mo as well as Verizon. You can also use it on Straight Talk for $45 per month.

If you are interested, I'm sure someone here will point out the ups and downs of this phone.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Isn't T-Mobile getting the Lumia 830? It's fantastic device. I love everything about mine.

EDIT: Price range issues... I missed that somehow. :/

I got mine for $0 on a 2-year with Bell in Canada..

The Icon that the user above me offered seems like a winner... If I didn't already have my 830 I'd be making an offer like *right* now. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720