Why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I know this is the phone wars forum, but seriously.... there is just way too much hate and dislike for anything else besides Windows.

I've seen far too many people who love to bash the competition and spread a lot of fud around here. Some of this is just wrong

While I do appreciate a spirited discussion, I don't think it's wise to paint a false picture of the other platforms as some people around here like to do.

Some folks don't want to even discuss the other platforms here, which is rather silly to me since that is the whole purpose of this place.

Everyone has different experiences with all the platforms, and none of them are perfect in themselves, so it's a compromise to find the one that offers the best for each of us.

For myself I only have a few grips about Windows phone but those few grips are keeping me on another platform. These same things are keeping many others away too, and it just isn't about the lack of applications. While I fully understand the wants for the platform to be unique I also understand that there needs to be similarities enough so that people can be comfortable with it,and allow those who want to change things to their respective choices to do so. While the way it is may be perfect for some, it's not for all.

If Microsoft ever realizes this, and relents while maintaining all the security features people will flock to the platform in numbers unseen before and then too will the developers come.

I'm hoping for the next release to do this but until then I will remain away and hopefully folks who are badmouthing all the other platforms will chill out some.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I know this is the phone wars forum, but seriously.... there is just way too much hate and dislike for anything else besides Windows.

I've seen far too many people who love to bash the competition and spread a lot of fud around here. Some of this is just wrong

While I do appreciate a spirited discussion, I don't think it's wise to paint a false picture of the other platforms as some people around here like to do.

Some folks don't want to even discuss the other platforms here, which is rather silly to me since that is the whole purpose of this place.

Everyone has different experiences with all the platforms, and none of them are perfect in themselves, so it's a compromise to find the one that offers the best for each of us.

For myself I only have a few grips about Windows phone but those few grips are keeping me on another platform. These same things are keeping many others away too, and it just isn't about the lack of applications. While I fully understand the wants for the platform to be unique I also understand that there needs to be similarities enough so that people can be comfortable with it,and allow those who want to change things to their respective choices to do so. While the way it is may be perfect for some, it's not for all.

If Microsoft ever realizes this, and relents while maintaining all the security features people will flock to the platform in numbers unseen before and then too will the developers come.

I'm hoping for the next release to do this but until then I will remain away and hopefully folks who are badmouthing all the other platforms will chill out some.

Totally get what you are saying; however, there is plenty of other people on other platforms who do the same. I don't see what the difference is? People become passionate about something, they're going to defend it as if it was their child. No big deal. It's not toxic, it's just competition.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Totally get what you are saying; however, there is plenty of other people on other platforms who do the same. I don't see what the difference is? People become passionate about something, they're going to defend it as if it was their child. No big deal. It's not toxic, it's just competition.
I don't agree with the premise that it's just competition, and with some here their hatred for Google and Apple is very much toxic.

One can be very passionate about all of this but still show respect for others too. Some here forget many of us use all of the available platforms daily.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
There are things I dislike about Windows Phone.
There are things I dislike about Android.
I've never owned an iPhone but when I try it out in stores, I dislike everything about it.

There are things I like about Windows Phone.
There are things I like about Android.
There's nothing I've sampled in an iPhone that am particularly enamoured by.

At the moment, there is more I like and less I dislike about WP than with Android. Therefore, I will shout louder about WP. But in a few months, it may be the other way around. I am not a ******, I don't hold an unwavering faith in a particular platform. I will use the system that works best for me at a particular time.

But right now, I'm "Thinking Different" (to use that old Apple slogan that's grammatically incorrect) and using Windows Phone.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
For me, I don't hate Android I just dislike the parent company and its anti-competitive approach to supporting the Windows OS. I really like Apple just not a big fan of how it locks you down to its ecosystem and its ridiculously high prices to purchase one. To each their own; operating systems are like shoes; as soon as they become outdated, toss them out and get the latest and greatest.

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree with the premise that it's just competition, and with some here their hatred for Google and Apple is very much toxic.

One can be very passionate about all of this but still show respect for others too. Some here forget many of us use all of the available platforms daily.

Right, but everyone is different. Some people have hate for everything Microsoft as well, so its not a one way streak. I get that you think its toxic, but, people who hate other platforms, they're not thinking about that hate 24/7. Besides, everything in text can be taken too seriously. I could say I hate everything that Audi makes and you'd think that i would be terrible to talk to about it. But when talked to directly i could explain to you why i hate it eloquently.
On your second point, I do agree, but on every platform there is always the people who take it to far.

All I'm trying to say is, this is not just a windows phone problem. Is not really a problem that can be fixed, all you can do is learn to live with it.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

You say that as if it is some peculiar tendency of WC posters only. We all know that not to be the case. Every day I read iMore and Android Central I know I'm gonna have to scroll through some badmouthing of MS/Windows/WP. Maybe you should focus your efforts on cleaning up Android Central before sauntering on over here to play forum cop. Just sayin'.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Maybe toxic isn't the right word. But irrational or just plain silly to hate a company (speaking generally) that probably hasn't done anything to you personally (or could give two craps about you) to elicit such emotions. Same goes with blind, undying devotion to a company or product. Not to say I don't have products and brands I prefer over similar ones. But it stops at being a mere consumer and not some cloak wearing follower.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you, and to some extent those attitudes are even displayed here amongst our own forum users (Lumia vs non Lumia devices etc.). It's the darker side of human nature. We like to argue, even start wars over trivial things.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Nah...

Your platform (whatever it is) sucks.

windows94

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I used to be an IOS guy, and then I switched to android for the features and because I became a "power user". Android was great at first and kept getting better, but you started to have to upgrade your phones all the time because android kept expanding and you needed more RAM and processing power to run it... At all... Then I switched to windows because it was cheap and ran great. I don't care for android anymore.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should focus your efforts on cleaning up Android Central before sauntering on over here to play forum cop. Just sayin'.

I read Android Central almost every day, and I don't see them bashing Windows Phone or Microsoft constantly, over and over. Perhaps you're seeing something I'm not? Are there any recent threads over there where you see WP hate happening?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I read Android Central almost every day, and I don't see them bashing Windows Phone or Microsoft constantly, over and over. Perhaps you're seeing something I'm not? Are there any recent threads over there where you see WP hate happening?

Sure, I will PM you with my collated summary. We can order pizza and beer and match it up with MDMcAtee's documented instances of "hate." Good times.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Why should windows phone users respect apple or google did you see apple supporting windows phone by releasing apps or did you see google supporting windows phone?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not sure of the rationale behind this forum. It was around before I even became a member of this site, much less a moderator. I know that CrackBerry (where I originally came from, as I had a BlackBerry from 2009-2012), AndroidCentral and iMore don't have Phone Wars forums. Just the title of the forum itself seems to lend itself toward arguments. It's not something I like to see.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i never came here before today. i thought phone wars forum meant war between windows phones..not war betwwn OSs.
i simply thought i love windows phone platform, what the hell use of battle between different phones as i am gonna use one of them anyway.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
i never came here before today. i thought phone wars forum meant war between windows phones..not war betwwn OSs.
i simply thought i love windows phone platform, what the hell use of battle between different phones as i am gonna use one of them anyway.

It's because some of us use multiple OSs so of course we let our self criticize things. Still Love Windows Phone OS of course. :)

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
i know this is the phone wars forum, but seriously.... There is just way too much hate and dislike for anything else besides windows.

while i do appreciate a spirited discussion, i don't think it's wise to paint a false picture of the other platforms as some people around here like to do.

For myself i only have a few grips about windows phone but those few grips are keeping me on another platform. These same things are keeping many others away too, and it just isn't about the lack of applications. While i fully understand the wants for the platform to be unique i also understand that there needs to be similarities enough so that people can be comfortable with it,and allow those who want to change things to their respective choices to do so. While the way it is may be perfect for some, it's not for all.

If microsoft ever realizes this, and relents while maintaining all the security features people will flock to the platform in numbers unseen before and then too will the developers come.

I'm hoping for the next release to do this but until then i will remain away and hopefully folks who are badmouthing all the other platforms will chill out some.

pot......kettle......black!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You say that as if it is some peculiar tendency of WC posters only. We all know that not to be the case. Every day I read iMore and Android Central I know I'm gonna have to scroll through some badmouthing of MS/Windows/WP. Maybe you should focus your efforts on cleaning up Android Central before sauntering on over here to play forum cop. Just sayin'.
Bob... I'm not trying to play cop at all. Ever since I got my first WP and after I traded out of it I have noticed the amount of vitriol against both Google and Apple here. It's almost like a bragging point for some to start a hate fest every time they move to WP platform.

Sure there are some on the other forums that do this as well, but nothing like what happens here, and for the most part those folks are usually put in their place pretty quickly (at least on the Android forums) Generally from what I have seen most there have high hopes for WP and wish it well to succeed. The majority of people there know and understand that competition is a good thing because without it their choices are limited.

I just find myself wondering why there is so much hatred for Google and Apple after all these other platforms gives everyone a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs