Lumia 1520 vs. HTC One M8

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt this. All tests I have seen, now I mean real benchmark tests, not someone saying i use my phone so and so much, put the L1520 on top. And for a reason.

The difference is 800mAh.

And in my sig are my phones, missing only my 1520 and 930, there are quite of few HTC's there, I have nothing against HTC.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt this. All tests I have seen, now I mean real benchmark tests, not someone saying i use my phone so and so much, put the L1520 on top. And for a reason.

And in my sig are my phones, missing only my 1520 and 930, there are quite of few HTC's there, I have nothing against HTC.

You do realize that some people aren't even aware that there are many apps that run in the background without their knowledge. I get great battery life out of any WP device because the first thing I do is run every single app then leave only a few allowed to run in the background. Cortana, Calendar, OneDrive and Music are all I leave allowed and the difference is great.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 has a larger battery, but that cannot be used as proof of longer battery life. That phone has a gigantic display that uses a lot more juice.

That said, I'm under the impression still that the 1520 has better battery life than the M8.

WaleedAlrashed

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
both phones are amazing but if u switched to M8 i think u will lose some of amazing Lumia Apps like Lumia Camera .. Lumia Selfie and so one
in the other hand M8 have a dual camera and it;s high end device think about dot case and how amazing launching Cortana without touching the phone
but i will prefer Lumia 1520:smile:

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I,m sorry you can do all the bench mark test you want, in the real world my M8 out last my wifes 1520, I could care less if you believe it or not, she has 4 apps that run in the back ground and I have 6, she plays Solitaire and I play heavy video using games. This is not my first rodeo I know how to set up a phone for max battery usage and hers is set up just like mine. I am not saying everyone will get the same but the M8 running Windows has great battery life.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
How is your experience with the dot view case?

I personally don't like the Dot view case, I think it big bulky and very ugly, my phone came with one free and I did try to like it and some people really do like it. Why cover a great looking phone up, I use a clear slip case.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Japanmanx3, how is it going? Excited for your 1520?

I personally do not do the "Next" program, but that is my hangup. My wife and I are out of contract (my 2 kids are still on through December 2015, but they are both adults and will get their own lines after that), and we have decided to save money and just buy devices outright. I just feel as though the costs on the Next program are higher then what you will pay if you shop around and wait for a good deal. I see the advantage for those where monthly budgets are more important than overall price, but otherwise I feel as though it is designed with locking you in and following the "rent to own" business model.

To everyone else, please remember this was a thread to help a user decide on a device. Now that the deision on the device has been made, what does everyone think of the AT&T Next program?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Japanmanx3, how is it going? Excited for your 1520?

I personally do not do the "Next" program, but that is my hangup. My wife and I are out of contract (my 2 kids are still on through December 2015, but they are both adults and will get their own lines after that), and we have decided to save money and just buy devices outright. I just feel as though the costs on the Next program are higher then what you will pay if you shop around and wait for a good deal. I see the advantage for those where monthly budgets are more important than overall price, but otherwise I feel as though it is designed with locking you in and following the "rent to own" business model.

To everyone else, please remember this was a thread to help a user decide on a device. Now that the deision on the device has been made, what does everyone think of the AT&T Next program?

I'm out of contract now. I might or might not do the Next program, depending on how soon I want a new device. Since I'm currently using a device that is 2+ years old, I might not want to wait for price drops when the next (pardon the pun) high end Windows Phone is released.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there are other things in a phone besides processor that consumes battery.

I,m sorry you can do all the bench mark test you want, in the real world my M8 out last my wifes 1520, I could care less if you believe it or not, she has 4 apps that run in the back ground and I have 6, she plays Solitaire and I play heavy video using games. This is not my first rodeo I know how to set up a phone for max battery usage and hers is set up just like mine. I am not saying everyone will get the same but the M8 running Windows has great battery life.

Seriously, lets forget this thread about these two phones. To me it sounds like your wife's phone has something wrong with it. Trust me. I would take it in to get it fixed.

And for the last time, here are the GSM Arena's battery test they have done, and as long as someone else provides clinical data of some other test, we have to go with this. This is neutral and we probably dont think they have an agenda of any sort?

Battery life tests - GSMArena.com

Mind you that HTC m8 for Windows does really well on their tests. Overall ranking just below iPhone 6+, that is a very good result.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there are other things in a phone besides processor that consumes battery.

I am more than aware of what destroys battery life on cellphones. But what you refuse to take into account is that before any apps are installed or running in the background, before anything is done to the phone with a particular user, the difference between the processors dictates what the end users have to start with.

The more efficient it is will determine just how long it will go between charges, regardless of what the end user does with it. If one draws more from the battery than the other, the one drawing more provided both are being used the same, will drain faster.

I have used both phones extensively and use both in the same manner,understand this.

I am not saying that the 1520 is a slouch in the battery stats by no means, however the m8 is better because of the newer version of the processor with it's optimizations for battery management and the improvement built into the chipsets.

This is not subjective to just my opinion, it is a undisputed fact.

I'm a power user and as being one I opt for the chipset that offers the best power management from the start to fulfill my needs. Newer versions of the same chipsets offer this... and they always have.

Everyone's results will be different because of how they use their devices even with the same device and the only objective comparison that I consider valid is for equal usage on both over a period of time.

I have done this.... Have you?

I'm sorry you don't believe that a newer chipset makes a major difference between these devices, but I am not alone in seeing this here as others have stated.

I do suggest that you actually research this properly by visiting more than 1 site so that you can get a real understanding of what the cpu does for better battery life, after all just having a larger battery doesn't mean that your phone will last longer than one with a smaller battery but newer processor.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The bottom line folks. The HTC One M8 IS the current Windows Phone flagship. The Lumia 1520, Lumia 930/Icon, and the Samsung Ativ SE are all also fine choices. The only real shame is that all of these phones weren't made more widely available around the world. Hopefully the next flagship will be regardless of whom it comes from. These limited and exclusive releases need to stop. Anyway, that's one mans opinion. Your mileage may very.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The bottom line folks. The HTC One M8 IS the current Windows Phone flagship. The Lumia 1520, Lumia 930/Icon, and the Samsung Ativ SE are all also fine choices. The only real shame is that all of these phones weren't made more widely available around the world. Hopefully the next flagship will be regardless of whom it comes from. These limited and exclusive releases need to stop. Anyway, that's one mans opinion. Your mileage may very.
Yup.....I agree

These carrier exclusive deals really holds the platform back here in the USA.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
It's good to see we all finally agree on something. As 'Mutt said, what do you all think of AT&T's Next?
I am on it. It is a nice way of getting off contract, getting a top of the line phone every year earlier than waiting 2 years for one. Yes you pay full price for it if you keep it for the full term of the payoff, but those who opt for the program are wanting new phones earlier than those who aren't on it.
If you want the best price for one there are cheaper solutions to be had, but if your contract is up and you are looking for a new carrier or staying with AT&T then you can negotiate some great packages.

It does help to go into the store knowing what you want instead of just relying on the salespeople to give you the best choice.

So.. For myself it is a great plan and serves my family's needs... YMMV

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Appreciating all the comparisons guys. Seems like I'm good either way. Considering that the high end Lumia line is like the Nexus line in terms of software updates I'm thinking I'll go with the 1520. To bad Micah got banned before I could ask for more detail on the AT&T Next stuff.

Overall the M8 seems solid. Its more premium from a hardware standpoint but lacks in Camera and screen size. Its still in though. I'll do my best to wait for CES and the 1/20 event before finally deciding.

Doesn't look to me like the OP has made a decision yet.

I'm on Verizon, so don't know for sure, but the Next program sounds very similar to the Verizon Edge program. You buy the device with no contract, and make equal payments on the phone until it is paid off. Once you pay off 50%, you have the option of "Edging Up" to a new phone, but have to send in the last device, unless you want to pay it off. If you pay it off, you can keep it and do whatever you want with it. Honestly, I think it's a good program. I get to upgrade my device much quicker then if I was on a two year contract. I generally like to have a new phone about once per year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss