Alcatel Phones for Everyone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's a bit of news: Alcatel One Touch is releasing a series of phones in 3.5", 4.0", 4.5" and 5.0" screen sizes and each device can run the user's choice of OS including Android, Firefox OS and Windows Phone 8.1... Alcatel?s Pixi 3 phones come in four sizes with your choice of three OSes | Ars Technica

The device series is named Pixi 3. webOS and Palm fans will recognize the Pixi name and there is a deeper connection: HP sells Palm trademarks; brand could be resurrected with new smartphones | Ars Technica

I'm pretty geeked about the universal hardware idea from the first link, especially if it will allow multi-boot options and easy user ROM flashing. I'm also intrigued to find out what Alcatel will do with Palm's patents and name. Could LuneOS be coming to dedicated hardware???

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Multiple choices for the consumer is good... But why Firefox OS? Why not cyanogenmod or vanilla Android? Don't get it xP

From where I come from, Alcatel is not a name known to more than 1% of people, by my estimations. So, hopefully it will bring impact to the promotion of WP.

Is multi boot really viable? And is it really significant to the end user? I don't think so. Most people won't even use it anyway. Probably on WP users lol, to get apps. Not that sure though.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been dealing with Alcatel products for nearly 20 years. They are still a big player in the enterprise telecommunications space, mostly in Telephone Company central offices here in the US. They tried their hand at Office Telephone products here around 2001 but basically got sent back to France with their tail between their legs. They were very Euro-centric and their way of handling applications at the time didn't seem to bode well with the US office worker. IMHO they are a very innovative company and look at different/better ways to accomplish things, hence the possibility of dual boot devices. Looking forward to seeing what they will bring

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...But why Firefox OS? Why not cyanogenmod or vanilla Android? Don't get it...

If you can flash one Android, you can most likely flash versions... Saying Cyanogen or Vanilla as a choice is saying don't give me 3 OS options, limit me to two. I'm not sure I understand the intent of your statement. Contextually it reads as if Cyanogen or Vanilla Android would be more OS choices and they are not.

I'm not sure Alcatel "skins" Android with anything. It may very well be an AOSP ROM and I would certainly like that better than a skin, especially if it gets Xposed Framework support. Without doubt, when this device hits there will be many Android ROMs ported to it over at XDA. Getting more flavors of Android on a device is rarely a problem.

FirefoxOS, on the other hand, is a unique and stand-alone OS choice. It's very web-centric and HTML5 driven. I dabbled with a bit by porting it to a Nexus 4. I personally didn't care for it much, but it wasn't on dedicated hardware and I had other interests (like Ubuntu Touch and Jolla Sailfish ports) so I didn't spend too much time with it. It is a growing OS choice and why not include it? Alcatel has already made dedicated Firefox OS devices so this is a natural extension.

I have been dealing with Alcatel products for nearly 20 years. They are still a big player in the enterprise telecommunications space, mostly in Telephone Company central offices here in the US. They tried their hand at Office Telephone products here around 2001 but basically got sent back to France with their tail between their legs. They were very Euro-centric and their way of handling applications at the time didn't seem to bode well with the US office worker. IMHO they are a very innovative company and look at different/better ways to accomplish things, hence the possibility of dual boot devices. Looking forward to seeing what they will bring

​I think the Chinese partner has bought out the French?

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting to see this happen since HTC came out with the One M8 with the choice of either android or windows. Sadly, I'm on Verizon, so won't likely see these.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I really hope deep down that they do something that at least channels some of the design brilliance in the Palm phones.

at the most, I'd expect ROM flashing but I don't think Google nor Microsoft are really receptive to multi-booting.

I always wanted a Pixi with better specifications, I love the design.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just because the hardware is the same does not mean even a common boatloader. Microsoft has their own for Windows phone as does Google for Android. Alcatel will simply sell the same hardware as different models.

Shows how hardware development can now be shared. And given that Microsoft gives OEMs a budget to market Windows Phone and cheaper licensing than Android, hopefully will help push more models.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So multi-boot is out if it includes WP? I know first hand you can multiboot Android/Ubuntu Touch/Firefox OS. I had a Nexus 4 set up that way. You were limited to Android 4.2, but it worked without a hitch when switching between OS choices at boot up.

Or Alcatel could set up ROM downloads on their website and you could flash your choice at home...

http://www.droidviews.com/how-to-triple-boot-nexus-4-on-android-firefox-os-ubuntu-touch/

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If you can flash one Android, you can most likely flash versions... Saying Cyanogen or Vanilla as a choice is saying don't give me 3 OS options, limit me to two. I'm not sure I understand the intent of your statement. Contextually it reads as if Cyanogen or Vanilla Android would be more OS choices and they are not.

My bad. My ignorance drove me to think that Firefox OS is just a forked version of Android, much like Amazon, which it is not xP.

And I never did know about Alcatel releasing phones running Firefox OS lol, never even heard of Alcatel until recently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb