1520 vs future Windows phones. To buy or not to buy?

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, there is a big price cut and I might be getting a 1520 soon, but i really want to see what MS releases this September, im not a guy who upgrades phones often, i've been using my 620 for approximately 2 years now, i might be holding onto my next phone even longer.

There are 4 things that are making me feel like i would regret if i get a 1520
1) The touch screen issue
2) The fact that it is quite old
3) i have average sized hands but the phone might, just MIGHT still be too big for me.
4) The fact its not available in lime green! I know its nit picky but darn it!

I've been patiently waiting months for a suitable upgrade for my 620. 930 is not an option, SD card is a must for me.
I know the 1330 is coming soon, but im not interested in that phone, i want a flagship.

What would you do if you were in my shoes.
Would you rather be patient again for the third time and get a 940 or 1040 live with a budget win phone for another year
or just get a 1520 right now.

Also off topic but does anyone expect any releases from MS apart from the September event? Anything at all in April or May?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you know something about a September event that we don't? Or April for that matter?

As for your questions I always find it comes down to personal preference. If you're not keen on upgrading too often than maybe the 1520 is the wrong choice of device. If the size appears to be an issue the easiest solution would be to find one in a shop (if possible) and see if it really is too big.

You're right that there are issues (supposed to be fixed) on the 1520 but most people seem to think it's the best WP around at the moment. To some the hardware isn't 'old'.

So it comes down to you really. Can you wait for a possible new flagship or get the 1520?

Also, I know we are using numbers for 'future' phones but lets hope they change all that. I hope they don't bring out a '1030' or whatever it may be called. I want to see a proper full featured flagship.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Do you know something about a September event that we don't? Or April for that matter?
I'm not too sure myself but according to pocketnow there is a good chance that we may see a flagship on september during the release of Win 10 for phones which kind of make sense.
The problem is not the hardware is old but rather that it is not a new phone, so the processor is kind of ageing compared to what we can see on sale right now.
I want to know though, would you prefer to upgrade now?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem with waiting is that you don't know what's coming up or when (unless something is announced). And then when you know that something is coming up, you'll be wondering what's next.

Yes, the 1520 has been out for a while, but it's not "old"; in fact the entire range is still very relevant according to their price points and hardware features. I have medium sized hands and I don't find the 1520 too large at all - you get quickly used to using two hands or using one hand at a stretch. The processor isn't old; nothing lags on the 1520 except for poorly written apps or slow network.

Even knowing what I know now, I'd still get a 1520 at this point in time.

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I have 1520, bought it two months ago. Even though it is "old" phone it is still the strongest WP regarding hardware, even 930 that came later has the same specs regarding cpu and ram. True it is somewhat big but its worth, screen is beautiful, when I take my old 4,7 inch phone...would never revert back, you will get used to it. Camera, even though has 20mpx, can take better pictures but I think denim will improve it. Bottom line, even though its old as you say I think this phone has long life infont of itself, regarding support and hardware power.

greenbluekidz

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm the type of gal that always jumps on the latest and greatest gadget. I go through phones like some gals go through shoes!

Even though the specs on the 1520 might seem outdated to some, it runs smooth as butter! While it does have some wonky kinks, my iPhone 6 had its fair share of issues too. I think MS issues are over hyped as it isn't a mainstream device.

Bottom line, I don't regret my purchase. The price was awesome and it will be supported in WP10.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You will know within the first few handling's if this is the phone for you. I will say this much: The L1520 still is a great piece of electronics smashed into a eye-catching beast of a package. It will be supported. Even if a new flagship comes out in September (which I feel is a good guess),the L1520 will STILL be a great piece of electronics smashed into a eye-catching beast of a package. If you like the size, do not worry.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd buy the 1520 in a heartbeat if i could find it in the UK! Now I use the 830 which is good, but I would like a bigger device since I tend to use my phones mainly as data machines.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not too sure myself but according to pocketnow there is a good chance that we may see a flagship on september during the release of Win 10 for phones which kind of make sense.
The problem is not the hardware is old but rather that it is not a new phone, so the processor is kind of ageing compared to what we can see on sale right now.
I want to know though, would you prefer to upgrade now?

Far as I know W10 is mid 2015. I've heard typically April/May as the release date. Whether phones get mentioned at that time is another question entirely.

Processor = hardware....

I did upgrade, unfortunately it took me to a different OS as there was nothing on WP for me. I am happy though.

If you're willing to wait it may be September or longer before you get anything. If you can wait that long, do so. Depends on how MS does the release of the device.

Andre-Omari John

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
1520 will be relevant at least another year. Isn't there meant to be a 1525 on the horizon? If so, it will be a minor update on the 1520 so if you really want to, wait for that to come out.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
1520 will be relevant at least another year. Isn't there meant to be a 1525 on the horizon? If so, it will be a minor update on the 1520 so if you really want to, wait for that to come out.

The 1525 was a rumoured device which was a complete fake.

As for the 1520 relevance, only on this site. Most other people have moved on to other devices being tired of waiting.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Even knowing what I know now, I'd still get a 1520 at this point in time.
Wow, all of your comments are really tempting me to get one.
But i have to know one important thing, what about the touch issue?
IF i were to have that problem and i were to push the top and bottom of the screen to fix it, how often would it happen again?
Is it like a daily problem or just once in a blue moon?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The tough isn't isn't a big issue for me at all. I get the occasional mis-tap, but it's really not a big hinderance or annoyance to me. I think that updates have fixed the issue, and maybe my behaviour in the way I touch the screen. I've never had to use the screen-press theory to change anything - I just pick it up and use it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't regret my choice to get a 1520 last August. It was "aging" then, but still brought me the most spec and features available on Windows Phone - I respect it more than 930 or HTC One in the all-around. Heck, the Autumn announcements were just around the corner when I pulled the trigger and when no true flagship came in (just a budget flagship 830, which looked like a lateral move from the 925 I previously used) I felt vindicated in my decision.

Next Autumn is a long wait... As you said only the 1330 seems real for Spring so far. Coming from a 620, I don't see how you could loose with a 1520, no matter what comes out in 2015...

Wow, all of your comments are really tempting me to get one.
But i have to know one important thing, what about the touch issue?
IF i were to have that problem and i were to push the top and bottom of the screen to fix it, how often would it happen again?
Is it like a daily problem or just once in a blue moon?

Remember that the kvetching nature of internet forums has magnified the touch/tap issues somewhat. I think it's important to be mindful of not pocketing the beast in a way that torks the frame. I had some minor issues, but have corrected them with gentle pressure and now am trouble free since retraining myself on proper carry for a huge device like the 1520.

Some units seem worse than others - or some users more critical and vocal. Probably a bit of both. I still don't hesitate to recommend a 1520, especially since you seem so well researched...

sotoy_yuk

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Just upgraded to 1520 from 920. Even with my girly little hand (im asian), i feel the size is okay. A little bit bigger than i thought but i can adapt to its size. Now my 920 is look like a toy compare to this beast
I haven't got the touch issue (just got it 2 days ago). So far my 1520 is perfect
I do not feel that the hardware is old. It run the wp 8.1 os really smooth. I think 1520 can satisfy me for another 2 years like my great 920

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a 620, I don't see how you could loose with a 1520, no matter what comes out in 2015...
I actually never thought of that, but you're right. I think a lot of people also seem to gloss over the fact the 1520 has a bigger battery than the note 4 or the iphone 6 plus and the camera is just as good, but the difference is that i can pick one up in my country for about $365 while the note 4 still costs around $640 and lets not talk about the iphone lol.
Im super glad to hear the screen does not ruin your overall experience as well. Phew!

A little bit bigger than i thought but i can adapt to its size.
Good to know, but i would imagine going from a 3.8 inch screen to a 6 inch, must be like driving a toyota yaris and then driving a range rover lol
But i think the screen size would be fine for me, i always wear cargo shorts and i think my hands are 'probably' normal in size.

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 isn't so big, 6" may seem extreme, but it's comfortable to use. Why don't you go to the nearest Tech store and try it at the stand? So you can judge if the dimensions of the phone is good for you or not.

Also I think we may have to wait some months before we can see a flagship and other high end Lumias.

And yeah, lime is really cool but so extremely rare ?_?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I usually wear chinos, the 1520 sits very comfortably in my front pocket without jagging anywhere uncomfortably, even when seated.

I also drive a Range Rover. Go figure. lol

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The 1525 was a rumoured device which was a complete fake.

As for the 1520 relevance, only on this site. Most other people have moved on to other devices being tired of waiting.

Are there actually any specific hardware functions that other devices are able to execute apart from being the latest and greatest over the 1520? I'm wondering exactly how the 1520 is not relevant compared to these devices.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Are there actually any specific hardware functions that other devices are able to execute apart from being the latest and greatest over the 1520? I'm wondering exactly how the 1520 is not relevant compared to these devices.

It's not a device I want but it continuously gets touted as being the ultimate WP for anyone not seeing an update path from their current flagship device. I don't want a 6" phone regardless how 'good' it is. Also isn't it sad that a phone that's over a year old is the 'best' WP around?

That's why I say it's relevant onlyhere because everyone here still think it's the best WP. Other manufactures have better spec phones out. Whether you think that's important for WP or not.

What hardware is missing? How about fingerprint? Better camera? Better processor? Etc.. Different design?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte