1520 vs future Windows phones. To buy or not to buy?

Bojan Malinovic

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
What hardware is missing? How about fingerprint? Better camera? Better processor? Etc.. Different design?

Fingerprint, dude if fingeprint feature is what you care about than go for iPhone, better camera, this camera is already one of the best smarphone camera on market, cpu is also very good...All I can see from your post is that you need phone so you can brag around about fingerprint, camera or cpu cores or ghz...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Fingerprint, dude if fingeprint feature is what you care about than go for iPhone, better camera, this camera is already one of the best smarphone camera on market, cpu is also very good...All I can see from your post is that you need phone so you can brag around about fingerprint, camera or cpu cores or ghz...

I don't brag about my phone. I'm not 12. I'm not one to care too much about what OS I use either.

What I wanted was a lightweight, decent size phone, with good specs and battery life, which I now own.

As for the fingerprint scanner, it's called security. Something that should be important to anyone with half a brain cell.

I didn't realise asking for simple things with the advancements in technology was called bragging. Sorry if I'm not begging for background images for the start screen and apps list like it's the most important feature missing on WP.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as carrying the beast goes...

I don't wear jeans much so it wasn't really a problem to pocket it in slacks, baggy shorts or warm up pants. Even with a gel case. Obviously it fits most jacket pockets with ease.

I've just moved to a new aesthetic though. I kept my tempered glass screen protector, but am now using a BodyGuardz protection skin and a leather pouch from Krussel. Two days in I like it a lot. The phone feels so much thinner in my hand without the gel case and I know BodyGuardz protect well and last as I've used them before. Good grip too. The pouch is quite nice and has a soft, quality feel to the leather. The fit is pretty spot on. You aren't getting a 1520 in there unless it is naked or just wearing a skin. Cased phones will not fit the Krussel.

BodyGuardz UltraTough Clear Full Body for Nokia Lumia 1520 - Windows Phone Cases

Krusell Tumba Mobile Case 5XL for Nokia Lumia 1320, Lumia 1520 - Windows Phone Cases

Ozone06

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
First a bit of an intro for me!
I'm Canadian and am using Wind (AWS 1700). That being said I need to find a penta-band phone. I have a Galaxy Nexus and am in need of an upgrade. My contract is up in August 2015.

I was keen to learn about WP 8.1, Cortana, smart tiles etc so I went on a road trip to the Microsoft store in Buffalo, NY. I had my eye on the 1020, Dat camera! :3, but when I picked up the 1520 I was sold. I played with it for over an hour, the giant Canadian flag on my bag kept the sales people away. I was seriously impressed with the screen and UI. I was surprised by the availability of apps as well, I couldn't find something I use daily or a good substitute.

The trick is do I wait or do I get a desperately needed replacement. I know I'm looking for the unicorn of the bunch (RM-938) I have found suppliers but for ~$700 CAD delivery duty exchange etc, It makes me pause.

I was also wondering about W10 and even waiting for the Jan 21 announcement to see what comes of that. If someone can link the W10 statment about the 1520 being for W10 I would really appreciate it.

So at the end of the day should I wait or should I buy? I've read the thread and it was zippy and not laggy but I'm thinking more in 2 years will I be stuck mid product cycle looking at "old" phones again?

Thanks!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It's not a device I want but it continuously gets touted as being the ultimate WP for anyone not seeing an update path from their current flagship device. I don't want a 6" phone regardless how 'good' it is. Also isn't it sad that a phone that's over a year old is the 'best' WP around?

That's why I say it's relevant onlyhere because everyone here still think it's the best WP. Other manufactures have better spec phones out. Whether you think that's important for WP or not.

What hardware is missing? How about fingerprint? Better camera? Better processor? Etc.. Different design?

Your personal preference aside, none of what you mention makes the 1520 any less relevant when you look at it objectively. And with all the better specced phones out there is there any one which can significantly outperform the 1520? Certainly not in the camera department, and even with better CPU's and more RAM will there be any noticeable performance improvement? That's probably down to the software and the newly introduced features like "resuming" and "loading" in WP 8.1 :).

All most newer phones now boast of is how much more RAM they've crammed in or how much faster the CPU now cranks up to but put side by side I'd bet the 1520 would hold its own pretty well and that's why its still relevant because whether we like it or not, that's all we got as a WP flagship and just because Microsoft dropped the ball doesn't make it any less of a competitive device.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is speced better than most phones even today.....a year later.....but we have the 1530 coming soon.....now I agree WP needs flagship phones in all screw sizes,not just the phablet market

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Your personal preference aside, none of what you mention makes the 1520 any less relevant when you look at it objectively. And with all the better specced phones out there is there any one which can significantly outperform the 1520? Certainly not in the camera department, and even with better CPU's and more RAM will there be any noticeable performance improvement? That's probably down to the software and the newly introduced features like "resuming" and "loading" in WP 8.1 :).

All most newer phones now boast of is how much more RAM they've crammed in or how much faster the CPU now cranks up to but put side by side I'd bet the 1520 would hold its own pretty well and that's why its still relevant because whether we like it or not, that's all we got as a WP flagship and just because Microsoft dropped the ball doesn't make it any less of a competitive device.

I guess I should explain. I'm not alone in this situation.

I own (because I haven't got rid of it yet) a L920. I was in a situation where the battery life was painful and the phone was generally a lemon. So I waited as long as I could to see what MS would do and it turned out to be nothing. The L930 didn't impress me, the L1520 was not a size I wanted and the L830 is not a device I want. I can afford a flagship device so that's what I want. Many are like me. Some have a better position with their phone however so can wait a bit longer.

So I was left looking at Android or iOS for a phone. I have nothing Apple so that was out but I owned an Android tablet so I bought a Z3. It's a great phone. Nice size and weight. Camera is great and the battery life is amazing. A phone similar to this is what MS and WP needs. A good all rounder. Had a phone like this been around I would never have left WP. Well I haven't left but it's not my daily driver any more.

I have nothing against the 1520 other than it's size and age. I know people who own it but find it frustrating that it has not phablet capabilities, an OS restriction of course. I also have no hate for WP either, just so you know.

I just find it sad really that a phone over a year old is still the pinnacle of WP. That says something of the what's wrong with WP.

Robert van Veen

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I bought the 1020 when the 1520 was already on the market. The "aging hardware" is not an issue. A new flagship will put a bigger dent in your wallet.
My wife played with the 1520 in the store and loved the smoothness of the OS......I will add she hates WP's (refuses to touch mine). I did not buy 1520 for two reasons : price and size. Pocketing that machine would have been a nightmare.
About the ageing. It has a quad core. I am certain you (or anybody for that matter) do not need a quad core in a phone. My 1020 dual core is very fast. Games are beautiful and responsive. I only replaced my iPhone 4 because screen was tiny and 800Mhz single core was getting slow. Writing this I realise that it did not need replacing as it did what I wanted. Made phone calls, made beautiful photo's and opened all documents (including MS Office) that I needed it too. When getting the 1020 I had a feeling something was coming...had I known it was the 930 I might have waited.
The only limitation in the future (for the 1020) will be the screen resolution. I have no intention of replacing it in the coming 3 years. Although I admit I am unhappy that I can't get an SD card in there.

If you decide on the 1520 you will be using it for many years with pleasure...so long as you don't put it in your back pocket and forget it's there!

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you go to the nearest Tech store and try it at the stand? So you can judge if the dimensions of the phone is good for you or not.
I have tried it out a couple of times at stores a few months back, haven't tried to fit it in my pocket though. I already forgot about the size by now, but i remember it wasnt as big as i thought it was. I'm sure i can live with it

I also drive a Range Rover. Go figure. lol
lmao! btw neat car :)

You aren't getting a 1520 in there unless it is naked or just wearing a skin. Cased phones will not fit the Krussel.
Ah yes, i don't like to uses pouches so i might be getting the Exact tank series or the Amzer case depending on how big the phone feels when it arrives. I love the way the tank series looks though, looks like batman's suit. I'll definitely look into Bodyguardz though. - that sounded wrong.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The only phone I would consider over the "old" 1520 I have now would be the Passport. Call me crazy but I like the gestures in BB OS10. I also like the swipe up to unlock feature. Did I mention I like gestures?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The 1520 is a beast even in 2015. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise to get a newer one because newer is not necessarily better unless we are talking icon/930.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Was just in same exact position as you and after much research went with the 1520. I've only had it a week but so far I'm extremely impressed. Forget that it's what, 14 months old at this point, the thing is smooth and fast. I can definitely see the size being an issue but that is completely subjective. I spent time at the AT&T store with it on multiple occasions which made me realize I could handle it.

I'm pretty confident that I've got a great device that will smoothly sail to my 18 month upgrade.

MrRichardF

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Shobin, I am going to suggest something slightly different. I have had the 920 and I love it except the battery life is painful and the dual core cup prevents it from being compatible with modern tech and newer updates, so I went and snagged the crazily cheap 635 off contract for $70 (AT&T). It is an absolute STEAL. For normal use, it performs impressively and the battery life is amazing. It lacks 920 luxuries that I have come to love like a ffc, flash, glance, Qi wireless, etc, but it can make a fair 'interim sidegrade' for a minimal investment so that you can save your money for when the new flagship is released. (Have your cake and eat it, too)

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Shobin, I am going to suggest something slightly different. I have had the 920 and I love it except the battery life is painful and the dual core cup prevents it from being compatible with modern tech and newer updates, so I went and snagged the crazily cheap 635 off contract for $70 (AT&T). It is an absolute STEAL. For normal use, it performs impressively and the battery life is amazing. It lacks 920 luxuries that I have come to love like a ffc, flash, glance, Qi wireless, etc, but it can make a fair 'interim sidegrade' for a minimal investment so that you can save your money for when the new flagship is released. (Have your cake and eat it, too)
I was previously thinking of that exact same thing, get a 535 (they are going for about $100 in my country) and then stick with it till the next big thing.
I'm sure even that would be miles ahead of my dual core 620 with its tiny ram. However if i want to upgrade, i would prefer to just go all out and get a good phone once and for all. Problem is that i don't upgrade often, i usually only upgrade when i feel it is necessary to upgrade. I might get a 635 and then just stick with it for another 2 years. lol

Plus, it just hit me i have never ever ever, owned a flagship phone, so it would be nice to get a little bit of taste of that experience i think.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
The only phone I would consider over the "old" 1520 I have now would be the Passport. Call me crazy but I like the gestures in BB OS10. I also like the swipe up to unlock feature. Did I mention I like gestures?
Do you think BB would've faired better if they gone with Windows phone?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you think BB would've faired better if they gone with Windows phone?

No. BB was a train wreck waiting to happen and it's still struggling to gain any sort of market share. They relied too heavily on their business services not realising there were competitors hot on their heels. It's similar to what happened to Nokia. They fell asleep at the wheel and paid the price.

What has baffled me to no end is why MS didn't concentrate on business more at release of WP. They'd be in a stronger position.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was previously thinking of that exact same thing, get a 535 (they are going for about $100 in my country) and then stick with it till the next big thing.
I'm sure even that would be miles ahead of my dual core 620 with its tiny ram. However if i want to upgrade, i would prefer to just go all out and get a good phone once and for all. Problem is that i don't upgrade often, i usually only upgrade when i feel it is necessary to upgrade. I might get a 635 and then just stick with it for another 2 years. lol

Plus, it just hit me i have never ever ever, owned a flagship phone, so it would be nice to get a little bit of taste of that experience i think.

You're pretty much facing the same situation I had prior to my picking up my Z3. I had only the 1520 or a low/mid range phone to consider and play the waiting game 'hoping' something will come out.

Since you never had a flagship you may not miss anything but for me I was left feeling left out and decided to give something else a try.

I wish you the best in your choice. MS has put 1st gen flagship WP users in a difficult situation. We all want to upgrade but feel stuck. Some like me decided to try something else. Sadly, I'm not really missing WP as much as I thought I would.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly android is still awful to me and I couldn't leave my windows phone for that mess. Plus my camera is still boss.

Whatever works for you. I'm not bagging WP. Android is fine for me. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe because I used to use Symbian. The Z3 is a great camera and is getting RAW support with 5.0 upgrade. I'm curious to see what I'll be able to do with it.

I don't quite understand the negative comments that people make about Android. It's nice to have different OSs available for people to try and find what suits them best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss