How I imagine the Windows 10 startscreen

mottle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm really exited about Windows 10 for phones and tablet (I think it should be called "Windows 10 light") and last week I played a bit in Photoshop and imagined what a unification of Windows RT and WP could look like.

This is how I would want the merge of Windows and Windows Phone to happen.
- 3 Theme colors Black/White/Gray + the usual accent colors
- an option to set the theme color opaque
- the group option of Windows Startscreen + the folders from WP
- scroll direction will change when changing from portrait to landscape
- landscape mode
I'm not sure how the tile rearrangement could happen when changing from portrait to landscape mode....rotating the tiles or just rotating the content.
combination of WP and Windows 8 multitasking is tough....moving the notification center to the bottom edge(portrait mode)/right edge(landscape mode) could help.

white theme with and without opacity
portrait_Wite_solid.jpg portrait_wite_opaque.jpg

gray theme with and without opacity
portrait_gray_solid.jpg portrait_gray_opac.jpg

and black theme with and without opacity
portrait_Black_solid.jpg portrait_black_opaque.jpg

landscape mode for phones and tablets
landscape_gray_solid.jpglandscape_gray_opaque.jpg

App List
Applist.jpg

Windows 8 home screen in portrait just wouldn't work on small screen it seems to me.
As more as I thought about this changing scrolling directions in the different orientations as more natural it seemed to me. like changing to landscape in a book wouldn't change the folding direction.
It's just a ruff concept.
To implement the action center and app switcher in a consistent way across phone, tablet and PC is pretty tough.

What are your thoughts about the rotation from landscape to portrait?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a big fan of that. I really like the aesthetics there, and everything just looks...good! Also really like the gray background, and I think that's something that definitely should be added. Landscape mode is definitely something that's needed, and I think you did a good job with it. I think it works better just switching the content rather than the tiles because it would just weird to have to swipe down a narrow strip forever in landscape mode. Very well done OP, I like the concept

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Why would landscape mode show the app list on the top.
The key here is to rearrange the start screen and keep the functions of the system how they are.
if you have it landscape the app list should still be right and notification centre on the top.
Is just the question how they are going to merge WP together with Win RT and what parts of the system will be taken.
Because WP and RT are working kind of different (App List, Startscreen scrolling, charms bar)

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
dat WP7 space, littered with "Start" and category title...

I am not sure about start screen rotation... it definitely doesn't look really good with long vertical tiles...
it's also gonna increase workload on the chip, isn't it? doesn't sound really good for Lumia 520...

one thing I like from your concept is the search button in the app list...
that one could be useful

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The key here is to rearrange the start screen and keep the functions of the system how they are.
if you have it landscape the app list should still be right and notification centre on the top.
Is just the question how they are going to merge WP together with Win RT and what parts of the system will be taken.
Because WP and RT are working kind of different (App List, Startscreen scrolling, charms bar)

I do definitely think that the notification center should be on top, but I honestly think the tiles look good as they are. It makes sense (as I explained in my first post)

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the start screen should be more like Windows 8.1 desktop where wallpaper should be at the back and tiles floating on it

mottle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I actually thought a lot about it....and still am not sure what's really the most intuitive way to go.
But I really like that the notification center on WP8.1 always stays at the SAME EDGE even if I use it in landscape. The content in the notification center should change orientation (like the icons in the notification bar already are doing) but the physical screen edge where the notification center is located could stay the same.
Also look how awful the notification center in an iPad in landscape mode looks vs. how good it looks on e.g. the a Mac (where it sits on the shorter edge)
What if the content behind each edge always stays on the same edge regardless of the orientation of the device.

I think its like a physical book that is mainly orientated in Portrait but also contains pages oriented in Landscape.....when you turn the book to view the landscape oriented pages you wouldn't continue flipping sides from right to left.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm really exited about Windows 10 for phones and tablet (I think it should be called "Windows 10 light") and last week I played a bit in Photoshop and imagined what a unification of Windows RT and WP could look like.

This is how I would want the merge of Windows and Windows Phone to happen.
- 3 Theme colors Black/White/Gray + the usual accent colors
- an option to set the theme color opaque
- the group option of Windows Startscreen + the folders from WP
- scroll direction will change when changing from portrait to landscape
- landscape mode
I'm not sure how the tile rearrangement could happen when changing from portrait to landscape mode....rotating the tiles or just rotating the content.
combination of WP and Windows 8 multitasking is tough....moving the notification center to the bottom edge(portrait mode)/right edge(landscape mode) could help.

white theme with and without opacity
View attachment 93594 View attachment 93595

gray theme with and without opacity
View attachment 93596 View attachment 93597

and black theme with and without opacity
View attachment 93598 View attachment 93599

landscape mode for phones and tablets
View attachment 93600View attachment 93601

App List
View attachment 93606

Windows 8 home screen in portrait just wouldn't work on small screen it seems to me.
As more as I thought about this changing scrolling directions in the different orientations as more natural it seemed to me. like changing to landscape in a book wouldn't change the folding direction.
It's just a ruff concept.
To implement the action center and app switcher in a consistent way across phone, tablet and PC is pretty tough.

What are your thoughts about the rotation from landscape to portrait?
no no, are they going forward or backward ?? That looks like the start screen for WP 7.x.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon