Yet another concept for Windows 10 for Phones

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's clever, but smaller tiles leave less room for notifications and data on them. I like having large tiles with a lot of information available, at least for certain apps like calendar and email. This concept turns Windows Phone's primary UI into a grid of rounded icons, and that we've seen before. I'm trying to avoid that, that's why I use Windows Phone! ;)

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Peek feature I outlined on the concept gives you what you want really; the information you like to see from the Start screen. It just requires an intentional click on the Tile's arrow to temporarily disrupt the symmetrical grid of Tiles to expand the Peek view. I hope that helps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Peek feature I outlined on the concept gives you what you want really; the information you like to see from the Start screen. It just requires an intentional click on the Tile's arrow to temporarily disrupt the symmetrical grid of Tiles to expand the Peek view. I hope that helps.

Why make me click the icon each time, which on a smaller screen would far too often lead to me launching the app rather than expanding the tile? Why not just have it sized appropriately to begin with? Why so much clicking?

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why make me click the icon each time, which on a smaller screen would far too often lead to me launching the app rather than expanding the tile? Why not just have it sized appropriately to begin with? Why so much clicking?

Because the functionality of the current Live Tile comes at the expense of sensible cognitive load and a fluid, consistent and breathable layout. Also, because the information on Live Tiles do not consistently update in real-time: goes for both MS apps and third party apps. No point in showing information that isn't truly real-time, nor is it worth showing information on Tiles you aren't truly interested in. The same 1-click it takes to access a Peek equals the same amount of effort it takes to pull down a notification shade. There's no more or less action to take to see information.

s choudhury

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't really like the icons on the start screen, it reminds me of android and ios. The only reason why windows phone is so special is because of the tile interface. But then I do like your recycle bin screen, it looks very good. Thanks for the time you invested on the idea for w10 keep up the good work!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The same 1-click it takes to access a Peek equals the same amount of effort it takes to pull down a notification shade. There's no more or less action to take to see information.
I have never used the action centre for anything except the quick toggle buttons. The notifications in the action centre are, to at least 90%, useless redundancy. The only time notifications in the action centre are not redundant is when they include notifications for tiles that I have not pinned to the start screen or toasts that I missed.

Also, because the information on Live Tiles do not consistently update in real-time.
Well, live tiles update in 30 minute intervals (or less frequently), or in real time if the developer uses MS' push notification service. Live tiles do update in real time if that is how the developer built the app, but that isn't always necessary. There isn't really much point to a weather app updating itself in real time by half a degree. Every half hour is fine, yet I very much appreciate seeing the weekly forecast on my start screen without having to click anything. The same applies to Nokia Drive, which automatically shows me traffic on my commute route before I leave for work.

To me it seems you're sacrificing WP's "glancability" concepts without providing anything in return.

stephen_victor

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have never used the action centre for anything except the quick toggle buttons. The notifications in the action centre are, to at least 90%, useless redundancy. The only time notifications in the action centre are not redundant is when they include notifications for tiles that I have not pinned to the start screen or toasts that I missed.

Well, live tiles update in 30 minute intervals (or less frequently), or in real time if the developer uses MS' push notification service. Live tiles do update in real time if that is how the developer built the app, but that isn't always necessary. There isn't really much point to a weather app updating itself in real time by half a degree. Every half hour is fine, yet I very much appreciate seeing the weekly forecast on my start screen without having to click anything. The same applies to Nokia Drive, which automatically shows me traffic on my commute route before I leave for work.

To me it seems you're sacrificing WP's "glancability" concepts without providing anything in return.

Glancability was the greatest myth of the Windows 8 era. 30 minute refresh limits isn't the full story here either. I still see tweet notifications on my Twitter tile and Skype notifications that are days old, despite newer activity. You wouldn't be losing anything; you'd be gaining a less chaotic Start screen if anything. And even if Live Tiles did show in real-time, then what? All you get is one piece of information. The Peek view evolves the great idea of a Live Tile into actually giving you more information than before, with shortcuts to other areas of the app. The one sensible compromise here is an intentional click -- the same action needed for the exploding Live Tile in Windows 10.

I accept the Windows crowd thinks about information gathering in a way that's quite different than those who use iOS and Android, and it stands to reason people like the way the competition does it because a cleaner UI takes precedence over the minority's desire to have a Start screen that resembles a busy newspaper front page. Think of it this way; you have to use your mouse to access jump lists and access taskbar controls in Windows 7 and 8. It's brilliant; quick shortcuts without the need to resume the app on screen. A Peek simply evolves that idea for the touch generation.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
So far i agree with others on the icons, im not a fan of it but i really like the notifications placement at the bottom which resemble the Desktop windows, that is very very cool, i want. Also like how you can interact with apps without having them open full screen, so really great ideas.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
His concept is good,Microsoft should hire these boys, I have seen a few concepts here and to say the truth, these designs a way better than the current windows phone design, the current interface lacks color, the designs are too simple, they look non professional, Microsoft needs to get a new design team, look at how they messed windows 10 with that ugly black and white theme?, these boys have some good work and Microsoft needs to borrow their ideas.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
TBH, I really like the concept but MSFT won't go for something like this. It is complex but beautiful.
Is not that complex, but it doesn't in any way go with the current UI seen in windows 10 and even the current windows phone 8.1 UI, the UI looks too IOS, and a little flavour from android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs