Yet another concept for Windows 10 for Phones

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting concept. I like it, but those gaps are way, way too huge between the tiles. Also, I think having labelled pivots would be better than the generic circle icons at the bottom. The rest is pretty nice though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I read it thoroughly before replying, you stated that the action centre was "useless redundancy". Maybe before you reply to my post you should have re read what you posted first.
C'mon Neo, you're better than that. I'll chalk this up to you having had a bad week or something.

Here is one of my statements with your response:
The notifications in the action centre are, to at least 90%, useless redundancy.
I really do wonder if the 90% of Windows Phone users that you claim to find it redundant pin every single app...
It should be obvious that "90% of received notifications" and "90% of WP users" is something completely different. Again, I didn't say what you seem to think I said. To your question I would obviously answer: "no". Users do not pin every single app to the start screen, which is part of the reason why the notifications in the action centre are not 100% reudundant.

Here's another exchange:
The only time notifications in the action centre are not redundant is when they include notifications for tiles that I have not pinned to the start screen or toasts that I missed.
I disagree, the Action Centre is there to catch the notifications you miss by either not having your phone with you or not having the app pinned.
Here we both stated the exact same thing, yet you're disagreeing with me. Again, I didn't say what you seem to think I said.

Can we move on now?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Glancability was the greatest myth of the Windows 8 era. 30 minute refresh limits isn't the full story here either. I still see tweet notifications on my Twitter tile and Skype notifications that are days old, despite newer activity.
You can't tell me something is a myth, when I use it and it works for me every day. I gave you two examples where MS' glancability concepts work perfectly for me. There are more. I agree that the live tile concept is not perfect and can be improved upon, but it's definitely not the big myth you're making it out to be either. Maybe you've deactivated background tasks for some of the apps that would otherwise surface more current content? Maybe some of the apps you've done your live tile experiments with were buggy? Maybe you've never used live tiles on WP and only ever seen them on Windows 8 (you seem to generally refer to Windows rather than WP)? Maybe you have a WP device, but you're just so accustomed to iOS, that most of your live tiles are set to the smallest tile size (like on your concept) and you do all your notification management exclusively over the action centre? I've seen that a few times, but obviously, such people aren't using WP as originally envisioned. They are just following habits acquired on iOS or Android, without exploring or coming to appreciate what WP could offer in addition to that. Consequentially, those people won't develop any attachments to WP specific start screen features. To me it seems that's where you are coming from.

I accept the Windows crowd thinks about information gathering in a way that's quite different than those who use iOS and Android, and it stands to reason people like the way the competition does it because a cleaner UI takes precedence over the minority's desire to have a Start screen that resembles a busy newspaper front page.
edited:
You're misunderstanding something here. Nobody wants their device to resemble a busy newspaper's front page, or I assume very few do. However, most of us here who like WP, like it for precisely those things it does different (and IMHO better) than iOS and Android. It's why most of us are here at all.

Almost everyone who likes WP likes at least the idea behind live tiles. Even if few apps implement the concept perfectly, we want live tiles. We also want real-time live tile updates, interactive live tiles, and exploding live tiles, etc... and there is no reason why design consistency necessitates giving up the live tile concept. It's possible to get both right.

WP8.1 was already a step in the right direction, but it didn't go far enough. The mockups made by Windows Phone Italy, who claim to have seen the actual W10M UI, would be another step in the right direction.

What I fear may still be missing is a mechanism that gives users more control over every tile's looks, rather than just the background. Those who really want full control over live tile visuals, have no choice but to replace the app's own live tiles with a 3rd party's dumb tile, which is an unacceptable trade off. That is something that may be worth exploring with concepts, and which MS has yet to address.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)