Garmin StreetPilot on WP - this thing needs work!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Garmin StreetPilot on WP8 for a while instead of Here Drive+. Drive+ is pretty great, but the problem with the navigation voice plus occasional crazy routes make me prefer Garmin. While Garmin it's good, it needs a couple of simple updates to make it great, and a $30 app really should get updates more often than once a year.

First a couple of things that are good:
- The display looks great. Good color choices, super smooth motion
- Routes are mostly sensible in the US
- Navigation voice briefly lowers bluetooth music volume, and doesn't interrupt it.

And now for the bad:
- no offline maps, AT ALL! For $30 that's just crazy.
- no integration with WP, Garmin doesn't show as a navigation option anywhere. Manual launch only.
- you can't customize speed alerts. If it's on, you'll continue to get alerts even if you're 1 mph over.
- lot of force quits in the background. This is on a 1520, so memory shouldn't be an issue
- address search is extremely impractical. I regularly get locations 4000+ miles away when a similar address is within 20 miles.

And some assorted niggles:
- kind of weird, lately they have been mixing in a different nav voice for when you get close to the destination.
- many times I get a 'couldn't acquire license, some features may not be available'. Annoying.
- traffic info is shown as a forest of hovering signs which looks terribly cluttered.
- if you start the app while off bluetooth and then get in the car, the nav voice keeps using the phone speaker
- no control of voice volume relative to music
- very unclear how to get out of walking directions and back to driving directions. I can't recall how I escaped in the end, but it was not obvious to me.
- no support for WP backup = all settings lost after restore.
- It doesn't show the speed limit when there is no destination set

Worst, the app hasn't been updated since March 2014. C'mon Garmin!

Below an example of the cluttered Garmin traffic info:

garmin_traffic_display_chaos.jpg

Example of an extremely unhelpful list of search results. Adding the city shows a slightly more practical result nearby:

garmin-on-wp-not-that-smart.jpg

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
have you triedany of the following maybe better suited
Thanks, I actually bought copilot a while back, and I just installed Sygic the other day. I think the others that you list don't have 3D driving view, but I didn't look too carefully.

My main point of making the post though is that the Garmin app is so close to being pretty great, and with minimal effort they could fix it. Give me map download, WP8 integration, slightly better address search, and better speed alerts, and I'm happy. Out of those only the map download seems like a significant amount of work, so it's frustrating that they haven't been able to fix those in almost a year.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Added an example of a particularly useless list of search results to the original post. There is an exact result within two miles, but instead it gives me an approximate result (only the number matches?!) two thousand miles away. Gee, thanks Garmin! :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to my personal vent thread: I'd like an easy way to report map errors from within the app. For some reason Garmin insists that the old section of the Bay Bridge is still open, causing the app to think I'm driving on open water, and suggesting that I take a different route.. :)

Edit: I mean look at this, if you are a caring user and want to tell them about a problem, you have to fill in this form (there's even more further down, not in the screenshot). They want you to manually fill in latitude and longitude. Seriously?!

I just want to click on a map and add a comment, like in Google Maps. I have reported exactly one problem, and I won't be doing that again until they make it easier.

garmin-report-map-error.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett