Does a Good Wilderness GPS app exist?

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Does a Good Wilderness GPS app exist

I'm trying to find a good GPS app which works offline, my handheld Magellan GPS finally died.

I looked in the Store but the way it's indexed really makes it hard to find anything, I need good offline maps, most everything I've looked at or tried really do not work that good when you get out of cell tower coverage and the maps are not contour maps, but just satellite imagery or road maps.:confused:

Ballsak

Banned
Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does a Good Wilderness GPS app exist

It's offline. Works of same maps as Nokia. May not get you through the Arden's forest, but it works.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I installed maaloo Outdoor Maps, seems to be very accurate, also considering Outdoor Navigation.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I installed maaloo Outdoor Maps, seems to be very accurate, also considering Outdoor Navigation.

So how has Maaloo worked for you? I installed Maaloo 8, it works great so far.
I was concerned about the GPS capability of the Icon because the native HERE maps gets wonky when you're away from cell service, but the GPS seems to work well with Maaloo. I think the native HERE maps software defaults to using cell towers for location and will only use the GPS system if there is NO cell service.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

So how has Maaloo worked for you? I installed Maaloo 8, it works great so far.
I was concerned about the GPS capability of the Icon because the native HERE maps gets wonky when you're away from cell service, but the GPS seems to work well with Maaloo. I think the native HERE maps software defaults to using cell towers for location and will only use the GPS system if there is NO cell service.

It's nothing like a handheld GPS Navigation Device, but if you are lost it would get you back to a road, camp or home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo