Lumia 830 or wait for New Pureview device?

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay so I'm in bit of a pickle, I broke my 720's display and considering an upgrade. All I need to know is it better to wait for another mid-range flagship say 840!? or just buy the 830. I am not a big fan of 640xl, I want a device with pureview. Any suggestions!?

sam6691

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Better. To wait till flagship is announced.... I too have Lumia 720 and its fantastic ( 1.5 yr old ). Am going to upgrade for flagship

Many reasons for choosing flagship
1) pure view camera
2) top quality ( bcoz made by MS )
3) 4 yrs support for updates

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I dont usually like spending more than 20k for a phone. So I prefer mid-range devices they suffice my requirement. So I hope in April's build a new device is announced.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Might get a 1020 from U.S.A for 20k and getting 830 for the same price here in India. Can anyone suggest!? 1020 is really old and though has more ram but processor is dual core compared to 830's quad. doesn't make much difference but still.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Might get a 1020 from U.S.A for 20k and getting 830 for the same price here in India. Can anyone suggest!? 1020 is really old and though has more ram but processor is dual core compared to 830's quad. doesn't make much difference but still.

1. Make sure the 1020 is unlocked.

The 1020 isn't "really old" its only kinda old. Heh.
I say that because I use the older 920, and a more similarly aged Blackberry Q10 and they aren't decrepit by any stretch.

Performance should be similar, depending. I dnot think it'll be the deciding factor. The 830's battery life is going to blow away that of the 920, 1020, etc.
You get the best camera for stills, but its not quite as speedy in capture.

I'd get the 830 since I value the removable, larger battery and other minor things like built-in wireless charging.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
1. Make sure the 1020 is unlocked.

The 1020 isn't "really old" its only kinda old. Heh.
I say that because I use the older 920, and a more similarly aged Blackberry Q10 and they aren't decrepit by any stretch.

Performance should be similar, depending. I dnot think it'll be the deciding factor. The 830's battery life is going to blow away that of the 920, 1020, etc.
You get the best camera for stills, but its not quite as speedy in capture.

I'd get the 830 since I value the removable, larger battery and other minor things like built-in wireless charging.

Thanks I was giving 1020 a shot. But Just need to know a few things?
The one I'm ordering is unlocked. Can you tell me how will I get the firmware upgrades? Will there be ANY carrier issue? Or If I put my phone's region to India I'll get it like everyone else in the country..
I remeber it depens on the RIM number? So will I have to wait for carrier approval even If I get an unlocked version or I'll get updates on time?
Can anyone please tell me, as I dont know how and when people in there get updates.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks I was giving 1020 a shot. But Just need to know a few things?
The one I'm ordering is unlocked. Can you tell me how will I get the firmware upgrades? Will there be ANY carrier issue? Or If I put my phone's region to India I'll get it like everyone else in the country..
I remeber it depens on the RIM number? So will I have to wait for carrier approval even If I get an unlocked version or I'll get updates on time?
Can anyone please tell me, as I dont know how and when people in there get updates.

If its unbranded, then updates will not go through the carrier.
If its carrier-branded, then it'll go through the respective carrier.

If it is an unlocked AT&T model, it will look to AT&T regardless of SIM lock status.
I suppose you can flash a different Country Variant, but it might mess with the bands. (like it messed with my 920's LTE bands) I don't know how to do it exactly since it's been a while, but people can help you. YMMV.

My 920 is the opposite if anything, its locked to AT&T yet the ROM is that of the unbranded French model.

The phone's region setting has zero effect on updates.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
If its unbranded, then updates will not go through the carrier.
If its carrier-branded, then it'll go through the respective carrier.

If it is an unlocked AT&T model, it will look to AT&T regardless of SIM lock status.
I suppose you can flash a different Country Variant, but it might mess with the bands. (like it messed with my 920's LTE bands) I don't know how to do it exactly since it's been a while, but people can help you. YMMV.

My 920 is the opposite if anything, its locked to AT&T yet the ROM is that of the unbranded French model.

The phone's region setting has zero effect on updates.

Thank you so much sir. I'll try and get the unbranded one. :)

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
According to latest rumors, MS will launch its next flagship by end of July, at worst, it can be late Q2. If you can wait till that time, its worth waiting, as MS is planning to being a lot of new features to its flagship and mid end smartphones, that are beyond the comprehension of 830.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yep waiting for the build. But 840 will only have a few advantages over 1020 like sensor core and few features because of quad core processor.
But It's okay, 1020 still looks like a flagship.

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I dont usually like spending more than 20k for a phone. So I prefer mid-range devices they suffice my requirement. So I hope in April's build a new device is announced.

go for the 830. It is a pretty neat device. Despite the rumors, Daniel Rubino, Tom Warren and other winlords suggest that its successor will only come at august end. And it is just below 20k on amazon.

Go for it :)

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
go for the 830. It is a pretty neat device. Despite the rumors, Daniel Rubino, Tom Warren and other winlords suggest that its successor will only come at august end. And it is just below 20k on amazon.

Go for it :)
Yes I know, But I can get 1020 for the same amount from U.S.A. So I'd prefer that. :)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm in bit of a pickle, I broke my 720's display and considering an upgrade. All I need to know is it better to wait for another mid-range flagship say 840!? or just buy the 830. I am not a big fan of 640xl, I want a device with pureview. Any suggestions!?

1. Find a cheap parcel forwarding service.
2. Find a lightly used Lumia 1520 on eBay

A few months ago someone dumped 830s for $120 USD, now they cost much more.
Lumia 1520 can be found for $250 in excellent shape

Parcel forwarding from USA should cost no more than $35 USD

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
MS officially discontinued 830 and there are unofficial reports, that, a successor of Lumia 830 is on its, way that will overcome all the complaints that people have with 830. It will not have WP10, but GDDR2 of WP8.1. 29th April is just 2 days away, lets see. I am optimistic that the successor will hit market by next month.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
MS officially discontinued 830

Umm..source?

Op: Get the 830, you'll love it. If Microsoft releases a phone in the coming months* it won't be it out for sale until at least 5-6 months from now (we are still waiting for the 640/XL here in the US). Or if you have your doubts get a cheap 640 till Microsoft announces something worthy

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Umm..source?

Op: Get the 830, you'll love it. If Microsoft releases a phone in the coming months* it won't be it out for sale until at least 5-6 months from now (we are still waiting for the 640/XL here in the US). Or if you have your doubts get a cheap 640 till Microsoft announces something worthy

Microsoft readying Lumia 840 to replace now discontinued Lumia 830
Lumia 830 reportedly discontinued, Lumia 840 in the works - WMPoweruser
Microsoft Lumia 830 quietly discontinued, Lumia 840 likely coming soon | SoyaCincau
Lumia 840 coming soon as Microsoft discontinues Lumia 830 silently

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6