Have you ever donated to an app? how about rated one?

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Both my first edition (windows phone only) and second edition (windows phone and windows store) apps have big donate buttons on them that take the web browser to a paypal donate page, i did this as i want my app to be free for those that cant afford to pay and i hate adverts in apps. The first edition has been out a month and so far no donation from the 69 users, its way too early to talk about the second edition. Of the 69 users only 2 rated my app (both rated it 5 stars, which made my day) and only one of those added a comment (he loved it.....really made my day)

Now i didnt write them to get rich i wrote them as i enjoy programming (most of the time) and enjoy creating something in my free time. I also think my apps will be useful to the small handful of D&D players that may use them, but i had expected that the odd user may buy me a coffee now and again. Now when it comes to your own app you are likely to be incrediably bias, you know how much work has gone into it, but it could just be that my app simply isnt good enough to rate or donate for (i can only see installs(69)/crashes(1) not uninstalls or launches)

So that brings me to my question, and the above poll.

Also brings me to a suggestion, if you are using an app you like, rate it take the time to leave a comment, you will make the developers day!

I myself have donated to mod authors, im guilty of not rating an app.(will fix the later part in a sec)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, people don't seem to like to review apps... It's not a WP thing, because I had an app in the iOS store for longer than its WP counterpart and the WP version had more ratings.

With regard to donating... Do either of your apps have ads that would go away if a user donates? This can sometimes help spur users to make a donation. Also, and I don't know this 100%, but taking users to a PayPal site to donate might throw some users off... You might consider using in app purchases for the donations (only issue would be MS taking a cut), but with an in app purchase, the user wouldn't be directed to a separate site. You could also have multiple donation levels, $0.99, $1.99, 5.99, etc.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Donating, not really, I'll buy stuff to improve the app (like buying the ap-removal from the Windows Central app), but haven't really been a donator. Then when it comes to rating, I'll do it if the app asks me to (it's too much of a hassle to look for the app again just to rate it, heh).

I'm a lazy guy though, but hey, it's one point of view that hopefully helps.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Donating, not really, I'll buy stuff to improve the app (like buying the ap-removal from the Windows Central app), but haven't really been a donator. Then when it comes to rating, I'll do it if the app asks me to (it's too much of a hassle to look for the app again just to rate it, heh).

LOL, yeah that brings up a point, you could also add a notification that asked the user to rate the app after using it 5 or 10 times... Just make sure it's not an annoying notification that happens all the time... I personally hate those notifications, but understand why they are there... To spur a user into rating the app. I try to rate apps if it is something I either use often, or something I want to show support for.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, people don't seem to like to review apps... It's not a WP thing, because I had an app in the iOS store for longer than its WP counterpart and the WP version had more ratings.

With regard to donating... Do either of your apps have ads that would go away if a user donates? This can sometimes help spur users to make a donation. Also, and I don't know this 100%, but taking users to a PayPal site to donate might throw some users off... You might consider using in so purchases for the donations (only issue would be MS taking a cut), but with an in app purchase, the user wouldn't be directed to a site.

Problem is i would hate to inflict adverts on those that just cant afford to donate lol. My apps use a web panel to display information, in my original builds the donate page was displayed on that when users clicked donate and i thought maybe people thought it was fishing, so now it does launch the phone or computers default browser so they can see its official paypal page.
i debated IAP but given i was expecting a donation of a coffee a month at most thats ?2, microsft take 40% so thats ?1.20, you dont get any of it until you reach ?200 so thats a pay out every 166 months, about once every 14 years IF i get a coffee donated every month lol
Interesting to know its not just windows phone that dont get donations, im wondering if its the expectation factor vs lack of knowledge of the work that goes into an app? I mean i genuinly had no idea how much work goes into one until i started making them lol

On a side note i took the time to review/rate not 1 not 2 but 3 of the apps i use quite often (well in one apps case rarely but it was a cool little app)

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site

Go to your side bar, hold finger on app you like, click review, make developer happy :)

im not a good enough developer to save the amount of times an app has been loaded between sessions yet :) but i guess a nag screen could be the way to go....but can you really feel warm and fuzzy that a user has rated your app if you have had to nag them to do it, thats the question lol

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I know the feeling, my apps don't exactly bring in the money... At this point, I consider it more of a hobby. On iOS I was binging in just enough each month, that over the course of the year, I had enough to pay the annual developer fees with about $10 to spare... On WP, I think my apps bring in about 1/2 of what they did on iOS, but I don't have the annual $100 fee... So I'm making more in the long run, I just haven't hit the $200 payout point yet.

Brain fart... One thing you could do, is set up ads and have an in app button that will remove the ads if they donate or rate the app.... While some might not donate, many would probably rate the app to remove ads for free.

Also, have you looked at DVLUP? Not sure what's available in your region, but give it a try... I've earned enough points through challenges to get more than a few perks. http://www.dvlup.com

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Go to your side bar, hold finger on app you like, click review, make developer happy :)

im not a good enough developer to save the amount of times an app has been loaded between sessions yet :) but i guess a nag screen could be the way to go....but can you really feel warm and fuzzy that a user has rated your app if you have had to nag them to do it, thats the question lol

That's why I hate those screens too... However, if you wanted to give it a try... This is fairly easy to setup and does a lot of the work for you...

https://github.com/Microsoft/rate-my-app

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
That's why I hate those screens too... However, if you wanted to give it a try... This is fairly easy to setup and does a lot of the work for you...

https://github.com/Microsoft/rate-my-app

Will have a read of that, and will check out DVLUP thanks for the links, appreciated.

**edit** joined DVLUP
i did look at the challenges, got a 4* app (yep i got a 5star one) with 300 reviews (damn only got two reviews lol)
but does seem like a cool little site :) thank you

Last edited:

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I know not all apps and developers are the same. That being said, I have a couple apps that I have and use that ask me to review the app about once per week. I have reviewed it four times. Each time I give it one lower star rating and I put in my comments that I have already reviewed it and it keeps asking me to review. If the developer is not going to read the reviews, what is the point? That tells me they are simply looking at their star rating and moving on.

I feel much better about being charged a minimal fee rather than asked for a donation. Most people will always prefer the cheapest route. Even if their intentions are good, they might simply forget after using the app for awhile. This misleads the dev into thinking their app isn't worth it, but in the end it is. I guess to me, is writing an app because you like it and it is a hobby, or do you feel it is a job and want the money?

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I know not all apps and developers are the same. That being said, I have a couple apps that I have and use that ask me to review the app about once per week. I have reviewed it four times. Each time I give it one lower star rating and I put in my comments that I have already reviewed it and it keeps asking me to review. If the developer is not going to read the reviews, what is the point? That tells me they are simply looking at their star rating and moving on.

I feel much better about being charged a minimal fee rather than asked for a donation. Most people will always prefer the cheapest route. Even if their intentions are good, they might simply forget after using the app for awhile. This misleads the dev into thinking their app isn't worth it, but in the end it is. I guess to me, is writing an app because you like it and it is a hobby, or do you feel it is a job and want the money?

sounds like the app doesnt have the ability to save data so doesnt know you have already rated (believe it or not getting an app to save strings etc between executions of itself is not straightforward, its damn right complicated in fact) The first thing i do in the morning is check the dev centre app for two reasons, one to see the installed number (yep i dont know why but it just makes me smile knowing people are using my little old app) and to see if i have had any reviews, so far as i say only two reviews, one with no comment (5stars) and one with a comment (5stars) i replied to the one with the comment, i believe that communication is key though.

You lose me a bit on the minimal fee vs donations, the reason i use paypal is the user can donate anything from 50p to ?100000000 its totally thier choice, in fact in the pop up message when donate button is pressed i suggest buying me a coffee (ie ?2) (it should be noted im a security guard, both security guards and programmers run on coffee, well known fact, the former is also very poorly paid). If i was to go the IAP route or paid app route the amount (or amounts) would be set, no choice for the user (and lets not forget that way microsoft take 40% of what you intended to go to the app author)

The last part though, i write because i want to make the app and enjoy it, however i do pile the majority of my free time into its development, it would be nice to see if the app is well recieved, either rating rise or financially. when neither occur it saps the will a tiny bit, you start wondering if your last design choice has been ill recieved or do people just not like the app.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I do rate & leave comments on the apps I use & also update them if they become better... As for donations & purchases, not a single cent/penny/paisa/etc from my side cause well, I don't have credit card, am too insecure with sharing bank details & no carrier billing here yet.

Mr G Reaper

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
I do rate & leave comments on the apps I use & also update them if they become better... As for donations & purchases, not a single cent/penny/paisa/etc from my side cause well, I don't have credit card, am too insecure with sharing bank details & no carrier billing here yet.

even with out a card etc just know that a good review and comment has most likely made the developer of those apps day :) good to see people do rate

Toan Le

May 20, 2014
Visit site
If I find an app interesting, useful, or when I really like it, I'll take my time to give it a review. A true review, not something generic like "Good" or so. In fact, I've wrote a lot of reviews in the Store, some of them made it to the top and some of them got a respond from the developer, which I appreciated. Just to show the support, and just a hobby, somehow.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I've donated once. I helped with translating Flickr Central to my native language to show how thankful I am, and... also decided to donate (bought additional package of tiles via iap) to support the dev, because official Flickr app is a f... disgrace. ;)

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally since I've develop a an android apps i know what indie developer feels. But average u users wouldn't even bother rate the apps or review it. In most cases they used it to complain.

I don't like comparing people works but if you want to get spoilight try write an apps related to other services like 6tag or so. Lot people can't live without some services that sadly not officially available in our store but it create a big chance for indie developer. They may have some simillar apps like mytube and tubecast but they have their own uniqe quallity. Some people prefer one over other.

About donating. It would be nice if the apps is free trials with ads and purchasing it only remove the ads. Or make in apps purchase to remove ads is good too.

At the end apps store is only another market. Developer has their own competitive advatages. If you don't have one try analyzing your competitor and find their weakness. And fill it on your apps.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of those people who take the time to rate an app. I even update my reviews when I feel there was something significant.
As for donating, I did once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion