Anyone like a physical qwerty

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In order for it to gain any type of credibility, clout, or praise, its functionality and form would have to be perfect or damn near perfect for the physical keyboard aficionados.

The Dell Venue Pro was about as close to perfect as you could get on a slider. A totally wasted effort because someone at Dell didn't think to put a half-way decent camera module in it.

JRF_1986

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I'd like a physical keyboard. As long as it comes with a decently sized screen, I'm all in.
I currently use a Q10 and no issues. Tried the Passport and really liked it. The Classic would be a great replacement for my Q10, but a Classic/Passport with WP and a Pureview camera would be nice.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd like a physical keyboard. As long as it comes with a decently sized screen, I'm all in.
I currently use a Q10 and no issues. Tried the Passport and really liked it. The Classic would be a great replacement for my Q10, but a Classic/Passport with WP and a Pureview camera would be nice.

The Passport's camera is no slouch. Thought I'd never say that about a BB camera. Not in the same league as the 1520's shooter under low-light conditions but not many are.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes. I want a GOOD physical qwerty keyboard, as good as or better then the HTC TouchPro 2 (TP2) backlit, physical, clicking, slider keyboard SO I CAN SEE THE TEXT, in context, ON THE WHOLE SCREEN. I accomplished so much work, typing endlessly, creating content, getting WORK done using my HTC TP2. Let's create content and get work done!

Best Wishes

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes yes oh yes I would love one. I even miss the good old days of the T9 dictionary. Typing messages was a doddle I could text three messages in the time it takes me to type one full text message on my Lumia 520. Physical Qwerty needs to happen!!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
eleborate on this. No keyboard is better than a Passport keyboard and it is a touch physical keyboard which any other pc hardware company can't even do or even thought of, never mind it being put into a phone.

I can scroll, flick suggested words, delete whole words and use my keyboard as a trackpad for editing/highlighting without having to touch the screen or a mouse. That is probably the most innovative keyboard on the market right now.

The only reason why i have a BlackBerry right now is because of the amazing keyboard. There is 0 bugs with the keyboard. I would prefer my Passport running WP10, iOS8 or Android since the HUB is going cross platform.

Don't listen to the media, the media bashes BlackBerry even more than WP.

I'm one of the people that bailed on BlackBerry because of the double typing issue on my Q10. Now I see that people are having the double typing issue on the Classic and Passport. It was inexcusable on the Q10, and worse yet that it's happening on the new models. Yep, the Passport keyboard is a cool concept, but if I have to constantly go back to correct spelling, it loses it's advantage.
As far as I'm concerned, with the current virtual keyboards, physical keyboards have lost their advantage, but I do recognize some people will always want real keyboards.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This comes from people who don't do touch typing. For people who want to do actual office work on their phone (corporate types, I suppose, or me) and who are also adequate typists, no touch flow keyboard on screen can keep up with actual typing. I can type 50+ words per minute on my old HTC 8125 Wizard, and that is a REALLY small keyboard.
I'd be more interested in support for a Bluetooth or USB keyboard to use with a touchscreen smartphone.

I can touch type, but on a full size keyboard, using all 10 of my fingers. I learned how to type on a typewriter when I was in high school.

Touch typing to me does not involve tiny keys on a phone. I could never use more than my thumbs on my old Nokia and BlackBerry devices. I type faster and more accurately on a phone using WordFlow or SwiftKey.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd be more interested in support for a Bluetooth or USB keyboard to use with a touchscreen smartphone.

I can touch type, but on a full size keyboard, using all 10 of my fingers. I learned how to type on a typewriter when I was in high school.

Touch typing to me does not involve tiny keys on a phone. I could never use more than my thumbs on my old Nokia and BlackBerry devices. I type faster and more accurately on a phone using WordFlow or SwiftKey.

WordFlow enabled physical keyboard :3 Bluetooth & USB with ability to stick it on to the device. Thanks for ideas. ;)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I learned how to type on a typewriter when I was in high school.

Yeah, I took a typing class in High School, but not to learn. I did it for an easy grade, because I could already type well. We got those fancy electric IBM Selectric Typewriters to "learn" on. I actually learned on an old manual typewriter and could type 60wpm on the old manual before I was 10 years old. It's a lost art, I'm afraid. They don't even make typewriters anymore, do they?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I took a typing class in High School, but not to learn. I did it for an easy grade, because I could already type well. We got those fancy electric IBM Selectric Typewriters to "learn" on. I actually learned on an old manual typewriter and could type 60wpm on the old manual before I was 10 years old. It's a lost art, I'm afraid. They don't even make typewriters anymore, do they?

Who are you trying to con? You took the typing class for the same reason I took Home Economics, for the girls. :grin:

Up until high school, I used an Underwood from the Lincoln Administration for reports and stuff. Remember using the correction strips? I thought I'd died and went to heaven when I got an IBM Selectric in 10th grade.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We had IBM Selectric in school, but I practiced at home on a manual Smith-Corona.
Who are you trying to con? You took the typing class for the same reason I took Home Economics, for the girls. :grin:

Up until high school, I used an Underwood from the Lincoln Administration for reports and stuff. Remember using the correction strips? I thought I'd died and went to heaven when I got an IBM Selectric in 10th grade.
I think my high school was way ahead of its time. Typing class was required. Both girls and boys had to take it. They inadvertently trained students who would be using computers a few years later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

dammit the girl I sat next to was really cute but really hard to talk to and super shy & quiet!!! Good typist though so we had unspoken competitions (or it was just me).

She then went on and made a movie career for herself. That one surprised me!

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Okay, guilty. Yeah, I took Home Economics as well. Got quite a few "study dates."

Correction strips? Haha! Yeah, I remember that too well. Backspace hold the strip between the ribbon and paper, and hope the stroke places the character in the same exact place, because sometimes it was a bit off and took several tries to get it corrected. Good times.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This Build conference just blew my mind with their idea of a keyboard for Windows phone. The "continuum" for Windows 10 will work on phones, and you get full screen apps by hooking up to an HDMI monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and the apps work just like the full screen desktop apps. You also get to move windows around on the screen.

Yeah, turns out a phone will end up being all the computer some people will need after all. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of. I'm drooling over this one. Best news out of the build conference as far as I'm concerned.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This Build conference just blew my mind with their idea of a keyboard for Windows phone. The "continuum" for Windows 10 will work on phones, and you get full screen apps by hooking up to an HDMI monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and the apps work just like the full screen desktop apps. You also get to move windows around on the screen.

Yeah, turns out a phone will end up being all the computer some people will need after all. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been dreaming of. I'm drooling over this one. Best news out of the build conference as far as I'm concerned.

This is precisely the reason I hung on to my 1520. As Belfiore stated, we'll need new hardware for Continuum but I don't feel the urge to do desktop work on a mobile display just yet. Very good day to be a Microsoft fan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999