Anyone like a physical qwerty

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm bilingual and physical keyboards don't hinder me in any way. Turn off auto-correct and you're done. Same can be said for virtual keyboards, or are they stupid too?

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
^ this
There were always keyboard variants.. Worst case scenario find a much cheaper US model and swap out the keys.

iseededppl

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a separate BB ( The Q5) just for whatsapp. I cannnottttt live without a qwerty just for texting. my other phones take care of my other needs.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm bilingual and physical keyboards don't hinder me in any way. Turn off auto-correct and you're done. Same can be said for virtual keyboards, or are they stupid too?

Whot? That's the point of virtual keyboards. If you change the language it changes the layout. How will you do that with a physical one? I have 3 different virtual keyboards here that I use every day, I would become crazy if I had to type with only one layout. Its even worst if you use Latin chars in one layout and e.g. Chinese in the other one. Much fun with that on your physical keyboard...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Whot? That's the point of virtual keyboards. If you change the language it changes the layout. How will you do that with a physical one? I have 3 different virtual keyboards here that I use every day, I would become crazy if I had to type with only one layout. Its even worst if you use Latin chars in one layout and e.g. Chinese in the other one. Much fun with that on your physical keyboard...
There will always be specific cases like yours where a pkb is totally impractical. Let's be honest, English, Spanish and French are the most widely used language formats in the West and OEMs cater to those. Does it suck for the Chinese or Arabic speakers? Yes, but Microsoft, Apple and Google are American companies. That's not an arrogant observation, it's just the way it is.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Dell Venue Pro is still my favorite smartphone of all time. The vertically-sliding qwerty was a SERIOUS head turner. I got so many questions about it. Ahh Dell, if you'd only reconsider and make one for Windows 10.

ssilva7

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes! Not long ago everyone had Blackberries or a qwerty slider phone/candybar phone. Nothing beats a PKB for fast messaging - not even swype. It's nice to be able to type without having to look at the screen, typing under the table... typing while starring a boring person in the face.. it's great.

Let's be real - no one has done a physical qwerty "right" in the past few years. Blackberry is coming damn close and once they figure out the key to acquiring the younger generation's market share is social media/camera (although consumers aren't a priority for them). The latest Android qwerty attempts are clogged by ****ty specs (minuscule screen, ancient android systems) or are restricted to certain carriers. Whoever manages to churn out a solid QWERTY keyboard with desirable OS/specs/wide availability/ is going to profit because nostalgia is powerful and the functionality is real. The people discounting the PKB are people who were not addicted to texting when those types of keyboards were prominent. Virtual keyboards have come a long way but there is DEFINITELY a market for a physical keyboard on a smartphone. Especially with social media being as popular as it is! But social media + cellphone camera go hand in hand, power social media users can't have a ****ty camera phone. So if anyone wants to do a QWERTY phone and have it dominate today, you have to couple it with an incredible camera to win. Along with competitive specs. The Blackberry Passport is so close but the software is ****ty... maybe they'll figure it out for the Slider though. I'd be all over a QWERTY phone with W10 haha.

... also for other languages you just either swap out the keyboard or put stickers on the keys to tell you what letter is which. I knew several people who did this for arabic and russian. Check google images, very simple solution. Not sure if it's practical for all languages but that's how people got around it before...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Dell Venue Pro is still my favorite smartphone of all time. The vertically-sliding qwerty was a SERIOUS head turner. I got so many questions about it. Ahh Dell, if you'd only reconsider and make one for Windows 10.
Absolutely the most beautiful phone ever released.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^Had them both Mary Beth. Not to start another flame war, but I wish WP7 had been kept and improved.

Sent From An Ancient Motion Computing LE1700 On Windows 8.1 Pro.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That's why I'm excited at the rumour that Microsoft could be buying BlackBerry. To have WP on a physical keyboard would be a dream come true. So yes I would love one. 😊

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's why I'm excited at the rumour that Microsoft could be buying BlackBerry. To have WP on a physical keyboard would be a dream come true. So yes I would love one. 

IMHO, if Microsoft bought Blackberry it would probably be just for the patents. Maybe some code. Not the hardware in all likelihood.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, if Microsoft bought Blackberry it would probably be just for the patents. Maybe some code. Not the hardware in all likelihood.

Aww don't crush my dream... Lol id say your right sure they are pumping some serious money into the Lumia development and brand that they will be centering more on that. But yes to get a BB patent would be a serious coup d'?tat.

divyan

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
If they did buy BB, I'm afraid that MS will have to cut more jobs and lay more people off, just like they did after buying Nokia's phone division.

..Or kill the amazing BlackBerry 10 OS and the only good pkb phone in the world - like what HP did to Palm.

>Shivers...>

anon(7808135)

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Me personally since I've used BlackBerry for almost every phone I've gotten, I love the keyboard! I'm on a Lumia 635 now but I use my Q10 a lot at home and I miss the keyboard when I'm using the 635. I always manage to screw up typing since I just can't type well or fast on a full touch key board. I'd like the see Microsoft make a few keyboard phones out of each year but I don't think that will ever happen sadly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss