Are you disappointed by the rumored MS flagship specs??

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Windows Central recently posted an article detailing newly leaked/rumored specs of high end Ms phones coming later this year...The main flagship is said to sport a 20 megapixel camera..Will 1020 users be disappointed? And the larger (phablet) variant of that flagship is said to have only a 5.7 inch display...Will 1520 users feel like their downgrading? These aren't my opinions, I just want to hear what others have to say...I think 20 megapixels and a 5.7 inch display is fine..but is that compromise? Since we as Lumia users should naturally come to have expectations for future phones to be better without compromises right?

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I find 12mp on my dslr to be plenty adequate. Having a huge mp camera on a phone doesn't make too much sense to me. 20mp on the next Gen flagship seems perfectly fine, and I am a consumer who makes my phone purchasing decisions based on the quality of the camera. I'll be eagerly awaiting to hear about the features like start up time , burst rate and ability to do slow mo, like the iPhone. And also overall picture quality, which for me is pretty independent of the pixel count.

As far as size goes, I prefer something 5 inches or less. Bit really ready for a phablet.

Actually the next feature that might totally rock my world is the continuum ability to plug into a monitor and start acting like a desktop. That sounds pretty rad.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Assuming the leaks are anywhere near accurate I think they will be great devices. The camera might be a downgrade for the 1020 user, but that is a niche devise never really intended to be a true flagship. The screen sizes do concern me a little, while I have no desire for a phablet sized device, a screen less than 6 in might be considered a fail. I'm more concerned about the increase to 5.2, if they can keep the actual phone size to the same as the 830/5.0" then fine, but I don't want anything bigger.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the spec's are great, Only downside is the 20 MP camera. Wish they had been able reduce the size of the camera on the 1020 and put it into this phone, it would have been hands down the best phone in the market.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
"Rumoured" - I will believe when I see it ... wait till it is out for a few months with Windows 10 working on it. Then I will have feelings of appeasement or disappointment.

Windows Central recently posted an article detailing newly leaked/rumored specs of high end Ms phones coming later this year...The main flagship is said to sport a 20 megapixel camera..Will 1020 users be disappointed? And the larger (phablet) variant of that flagship is said to have only a 5.7 inch display...Will 1520 users feel like their downgrading? These aren't my opinions, I just want to hear what others have to say...I think 20 megapixels and a 5.7 inch display is fine..but is that compromise? Since we as Lumia users should naturally come to have expectations for future phones to be better without compromises right?

Mortenvs

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I really don want to complain, but I love my 6" screen, and 5.7" is a bit of a let down. If its true that is.
Why? Well, a reduction of 0.3" doesn't really make the phablet easier to handle it just gives less to look at. IMO a phablet is perfect at 6".

ACynicalLamp

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I thought everything was great sounding. Honestly the battery size has me excited along with the 32GB internal storage and SD card support. I can hardly wait.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I think they are okay, but I think both versions should use the octa-core processor though :) don't worry guys, that's 4 powerful and 4 easy cores which are activated upon different usage and not a true 8 core processor. And sure they are not as powerful as their PC "siblings"
When the system will be able to take full potential of the cores I would easily settle for even more cores :)
4Gb of ram would be nice to, I like to run heavy stuff on my devices too :)

Hexacore is 2x 1.8 + 4x 1.2 Ghz
Or 2x 1.8 + 4x 1.44 Ghz
Octacore is 4x 2 + 4x 1.5 2Ghz

A smartphone is able to do some PC things just well or even better. I like AutoCAD and all the Autodesk apps on mobile. Photo & Video manipulators, HDR, Camera speed, Hyperlapse.. Yes I need super powerful phone, I do things on the go.

Last edited:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hexa core and octa core processors? Really? -_- That's overkill for phones!

I disagree. The flagship wars are fought and won on the field of arbitrary hardware specs. It's fairly obvious that Windows Phone ran just fine on a nice low end Snapdragon found in the 520 variants, but this isn't about the low end. If MS can pull this off, their prestige will increase quite a bit. To me at least, the dedication to a true flagship is a company's dedication to their ecosystem, and OS. The effort put into a top of the line device will show they care about the OS.

You could argue the Apple route where there specs aren't what's relevant, but it's pretty clear that MS has entered the ring with the intent of matching Android makers blow for blow. 20 MP is fine for a camera. All I ask is OIS, and a few other marketing extras such as Carl Zeiss lenses, and a very nice sensor. You can always argue that 2k on phones is pointless, but this is the future, and you gotta match the bids for consumer attention. Hopefully MS has the style lined up to match the hardware.

tl;dr: You don't win wars by doing what is adequate and logical. You kick all logic to the curb, and shove in those extra pixels, extra megapixels, and extra snapping dragons. Row row fight the power.

stl;dr: Yes. I am quite pleased with the specs, and I hope MS actually commits to a new flagship every year. Not just once a generation.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
8 MP is fine for me, heck, it's fine for everyone (5 MP is enough to blow up a picture to bulletin board size) and 5.7 in is nearly too big for me

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
As far as the camera, it's all about the lenses and the software. As the Dothraki would say "It is known".

Continuum is my big concern. It's not because I think the technology is anywhere close to having an ARM chip match an x86 chip. Rather the concern is will they go with gratuitous specs and kill the battery life. The Nexus 6 and Galaxy 6 were both released with great marketing hype about their battery life and in both the reality has been poor at best.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Since imaging is one of the main selling points of windows phones i think MS will probably be putting quite a lot of effort to try and beat the iphone 6 and samsung galaxy s6, im really curious to see how MS is going to beat them, since those phones have really caught up in terms of image quality.
I dont think the difference will be as clear as how it used to be in the past though, those phones have pretty good cameras.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
You could argue the Apple route where there specs aren't what's relevant, but it's pretty clear that MS has entered the ring with the intent of matching Android makers blow for blow. 20 MP is fine for a camera. All I ask is OIS, and a few other marketing extras such as Carl Zeiss lenses, and a very nice sensor. You can always argue that 2k on phones is pointless, but this is the future, and you gotta match the bids for consumer attention. Hopefully MS has the style lined up to match the hardware.
I absolutely agree with all of your statement BUT...in my opinion i still think 2k is completely pointless. HTC and Apple didnt participate the ppi race, so why must MS?
Anyway i hope the rumored 3000mah battery for the 940 is true though, that is INSANE battery life! Samsung should take notes.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, that's not "insane battery life" - it's just a slightly bigger battery. It could well be drained quicker than a smaller, existing one.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The rumored specs sound fine considering better technology doesn't exist yet, but it's glance and wireless charging I'm more concerned about. Those two features are the only things that make my iPhone and Android family and friends jealous.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077