Battery saving wallpapers

moorken

May 3, 2015
Visit site
i'm currently using below wallpaper on my phone, the reason why i've chosen this one is because they say that darker wallpapers are less battery consuming (background light). i'm actually wondering if its true, can somebody confirm this? i find it hard to compare to f.e. a bright white background.

Battery saving dark wallpaper?

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
For AMOLED screens, it does save some battery. If, on the other hand, you set a start screen background which is very bright, or uses light colors, it will drain the battery a little more, while the screen is on. The OLED screens turn off the pixels to show pure black, hence, complete black means no pixel to light up.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On devices with an AMOLED/OLED display, the darker things are, the less power will be used. (hence the recommendation of darker backgrounds, the dark theme, etc)
Individual pixels light themselves, so the more that are dark means less power used.

Ex. Lumia 900, 820, 925, 930, 730

On others with a more traditional LCD, it doesnt make a difference since the display is going to be backlit anyway, so white, black, rainbow doesn't affect power usage.

Ex. Lumia 920, 520, 630, 830, 710

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans