What Design Should Be Used Going Forward?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Full Polycarbonate, Full Aluminum, or a Mix Between the Two

Which of these do you like most and why?
Just curious...

Personally I like what we saw in the Mclaren leaks, pretty much a full aluminum unibody, but with a strip of polycarbonate at the bottom ( that's where the qi can go)..and it should be swappable with colors to match the surface keyboards or the Lumia colors or both...

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you like Full polycarbonate, Full aluminum, or polycarbonate with aluminum?

I like my full plastic body.

doesn't interfere with Qi and stuff, I think it better deals with dents and other gravitational accidents.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I like my full plastic body.

doesn't interfere with Qi and stuff, I think it better deals with dents and other gravitational accidents.
True its hard to justify aluminum...its beautiful but it pretty much has to be covered up all the time

Perhaps the Sp3's magnesium?

anon(8141431)

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you like Full polycarbonate, Full aluminum, or polycarbonate with aluminum?

I've always wanted a superthin 5 inch N8 with a modern camera

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

True its hard to justify aluminum...its beautiful but it pretty much has to be covered up all the time

Perhaps the Sp3's magnesium?

Alumunium scratches easily, it's terrible for radios and QI since its an efficient electromagnet shield, it gets dents, it's expensive, it will quickly feel very hot or very cold when left outside, it smudges easily, and it's slippery.

Both plastic and Aluminium are corrosion resistant and easily colored.

Alumunium's primary redeeming quality is its strength/weight ratio. Aluminium just feels more premium than plastic does and it looks prettier, and for most that's what counts.

My L830 has an aluminium frame, and this is the first time I've ever put a Nokia device in a case, which defeats the whole purpose of using aluminium in the first place IMHO.

Every iPhone I've ever seen in use looked really ugly because of the often really cheap looking cases.

I'd rather just use a plastic device without a case. It's much thinner that way, and replacing a plastic housing is relatively cheap and simple. I've done that twice with devices I really banged up. Often times getting a new plastic housing off eBay is even cheaper than the price for a case.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I really like the polycarbonate/ glass weave with stainless steel build of the BlackBerry Q10, it's durable and functional and industrially cool looking.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm really all for a mix between Polycarbonate & Aluminum, or even better Magnesium...

I'm also all for the "cat ear" corners that we have on the 1520 & 925. I also am for the continuation of the camera bump.

Love the camera bump we saw in the McLaren Leaks. Also love the 1520/925 camera bump, but not as much as the McLaren Bump... It lets users know they're dealing with a Monster Camera!! :devil:

View attachment 106313View attachment 106314

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm all about functionality, smartphones should be designed so they DON'T need a case. Aluminum and polycarbonate by their self are slippery. I loved the stainless steel & composite glass weave build of my BlackBerry Q10, or I'd like to see a design like some of the current Nokia/ Microsoft phones with a removable shell, but made of a grippier material.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm all about functionality, smartphones should be designed so they DON'T need a case. Aluminum and polycarbonate by their self are slippery. I loved the stainless steel & composite glass weave build of my BlackBerry Q10, or I'd like to see a design like some of the current Nokia/ Microsoft phones with a removable shell, but made of a grippier material.

Those materials can still chip, and or dent though

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
My phones end up very beat up, chips, dents, ect are part of life for me. I never understood buying a phone because it's beautiful, and having to put it in a case because it's so fragile. I have a skin case on my Icon just because it was so slippery naked.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I love the combination of smooth, rounded aluminium frames with unibody design like quality matte back shell

Last edited:

jval88

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I would also like to have build of the 930/830/925. Aluminum, polycarbonate, and glass combined. But if they can give us a surface-like hardware, why not? :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre