The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99

View Poll Results: Glance... Yes, No, I Don't Care?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have got to have my Glance and can not live without it.

39 68.42%
  • I can't stand Glance I wish you people would stop talking about it.

1 1.75%
  • I don't even know why I'm voting in a Glance poll, I don't care either way.

17 29.82%
05-09-2015 04:39 PM
91 ... 234
tools
    The problem I have with LED is it takes a lot of training to learn and use the information a blinking LED can convey. I had LED notification and even after repetitive use I could not always decipher what shade was being offered. I knew I had a notification, but not about what so I would have to open the phone anyway just to get clarification. Pointless.

With Glance your Lock Screen notifications can get forwarded... So whatever you set for Detailed Notification forwards; In my case I use Calendar and I always get a clear text written out of my next appointment on Glance. Also your Quick Notifications get forwarded which is up to 5 items that show as icons with a count next to them if they exceed 1. So in my case I see icons on Glance for Phone/Messaging/Primary Email/Secondary Email/Battery with %. Both emails are at different accounts so the icons are rendered differently. Once upon a time I had 2 emails at the same service and I simply separated them widely in the order and could tell them apart simply by position on the screen. I also get the Time, the Day of the Week, the Date of the Month (including month name), an Alarm icon if there is a pending alarm set and the Charging icon when the phone is connected to a charger/USB/Qi.

All of this is clearly labeled and readily identifiable just by looking at the screen while it sleeps. I know if I had a Phone call vs a Text, or which Email has a message - even if I missed the alert tone. No guessing. Just straight and clear information. And what you have for Detailed or quick is obviously selectable from your Lock Screen settings and therefore your Glance can be customized with the presented options.
    So do the Glance notifications stay on until you wake the phone?
    05-07-2015 08:45 PM
    It's because AMOLED screens can display pitch black backgrounds really well by turning off the pixels which aren't used. This is great for glance since the text can be bright and the background still dark. On a non-AMOLED screen this isn't possible so it looks really dim and washed out in comparison. The difference between glance on my 820 and 920 is huge.
    I figured it was something like that. And I do get the deeper black thing of AMOLED and see why it makes fans of many, but I like the function of Glance on IPS LCD just as well (since functionally in terms of info imparted they are identical) I really don't have any aesthetic qualms with how it looks on LCD.

I guess that might be another thread as it seems die-hard AMOLED users really crave that deep black look...

So do the Glance notifications stay on until you wake the phone?
    Sure. It persists until attended to in Notification Center or in the App, just like the Lock Screen Notifications. They are one and the same in behavior.
    05-07-2015 09:01 PM
    I figured it was something like that. And I do get the deeper black thing of AMOLED and see why it makes fans of many, but I like the function of Glance on IPS LCD just as well (since functionally in terms of info imparted they are identical) I really don't have any aesthetic qualms with how it looks on LCD.

I guess that might be another thread as it seems die-hard AMOLED users really crave that deep black look...

Sure. It persists until attended to in Notification Center or in the App, just like the Lock Screen Notifications. They are one and the same in behavior.
    Maybe I should ask in a different way. The lock screen times out and goes off, does Glance do the same?
    05-07-2015 11:07 PM
    You can set it in 3 different ways:
    Always on;
    Interval - it'll remain on for 15 minutes each time it is activated;
    Take a peek - it'll be on for 15 seconds each time it is activated.

No matter what setting you use, Glance will always turn off when the proximity sensor is covered (like when the phone is on your pocket) so no battery is wasted.
    05-07-2015 11:34 PM
    that's why Microsoft needs to step up their marketing: competition WILL copy. Glance is just an example of this...
    They'll rather focus on Office and Skype in their ads instead of these cool features. Why would people switch over to Lumia when there are alternatives on other platforms 1000 times better than Office? Lol
    05-07-2015 11:57 PM
    05-08-2015 01:35 AM
    After switching from 920 to 930 I though I will miss the glance screen, but I don't really care since double tap is just as fast.
    05-08-2015 02:39 AM
    You can set it in 3 different ways:
    Always on;
    Interval - it'll remain on for 15 minutes each time it is activated;
    Take a peek - it'll be on for 15 seconds each time it is activated.

No matter what setting you use, Glance will always turn off when the proximity sensor is covered (like when the phone is on your pocket) so no battery is wasted.
    If always on doesn't burn too much battery, I would like it better than a BlackBerry like LED. I understand why Glance isn't on AMOLED screens now as you could get burn in on them.
    Yazen likes this.
    05-08-2015 08:28 AM
    If always on doesn't burn too much battery, I would like it better than a BlackBerry like LED. I understand why Glance isn't on AMOLED screens now as you could get burn in on them.
    Lumia 820, 822, 925, 928, 1020 are AMOLED and have Glance. In fact, even Nokia 808 had an AMOLED panel and had similar functionality...

On my 925 I have Glance set to always on and have not experienced any image persistence! XD

Edit: There are measures built into glance to prevent AMOLED/LCD image burn-in.

FWIW my phone used to freeze on the carrier splash running DP. Had the T-Mobile logo for for at least 4 hours, no damage.

4 hour rule? Haha
    Last edited by Yazen; 05-08-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    P1ng0fDeath and RumoredNow like this.
    05-08-2015 10:08 AM
    After switching from 920 to 930 I though I will miss the glance screen, but I don't really care since double tap is just as fast.
    929 (aka Icon) is just like the 930, minus 1 thing...double tap to wake.

(mumbling about Verizon executives and their lineage)
    Sagar Limaye likes this.
    05-08-2015 09:24 PM

I thought the Icon had DTTW.
    I remember going through settings and asking my friend if she wanted it enabled on her Icon...
    05-08-2015 09:29 PM

I thought the Icon had DTTW.
    I remember going through settings and asking my friend if she wanted it enabled on her Icon...
    It is not showing as having DTtW on these lists: FAQ - Which features does my Lumia phone support? - Microsoft - Philippines

All I can say is Vzw Gimped the 930 as bad as AT&T did the 1520. This is why carriers should not ever have a hand in phone design. They actually think they are "making improvements in the customer's best interests."
    psiu_glen likes this.
    05-09-2015 10:39 AM
    All I can say is Vzw Gimped the 930 as bad as AT&T did the 1520. This is why carriers should not ever have a hand in phone design. They actually think they are "making improvements in the customer's best interests."
    I'm sure they don't really care about their customers, outside of how much more they can gouge them for each month.

Verizon has a long and glorious history of this sort of thing, predating smartphones even. Rat finks.

/streams more video on unlimited LTE just because/
    pankaj981 likes this.
    05-09-2015 03:20 PM
    Well after using glance for this long (started with 920) I can't go back to a device without it, one of the reasons I chose the 830 over the 930.
    05-09-2015 03:42 PM
    Pankaj, out of all the Lumia devices you had since windows phone 8, what rank would you give to the 830? Do you believe that the 830 is better than the 930? And do you feel slowness in the 830 compared to any other Lumia device you had?
    05-09-2015 04:00 PM
    Pankaj, out of all the Lumia devices you had since windows phone 8, what rank would you give to the 830? Do you believe that the 830 is better than the 930? And do you feel slowness in the 830 compared to any other Lumia device you had?
    I PM'd you, didn't want to hijack this thread.
    Yazen likes this.
    05-09-2015 04:39 PM
91 ... 234