Glance... Yes, No, I Don't Care?

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
A few days with the 930 and one thing I miss the most from the 1020 is glance...
Sure I can always press that lock button or double tap that screen, but to know what time it is just by taking out your phone off the pocket or waving your hand over the phone was damn useful...

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Voted for Glance! I got to have it. My 920 had it and now my 830 has it, and whatever new flagship I go with better have it. Glance combined with double tap to wake are great WP features and I hope they keep them going forward.

Speaking of Glance how does LG get away with calling this Glance?
How to use 'Glance' on the LG G Flex 2

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Speaking of Glance how does LG get away with calling this Glance?
How to use 'Glance' on the LG G Flex 2

well, it seems that Motorola isn't the only one copying Glance. One more reason to Microsoft promote and improve it more.

btw, i don't understand why they almost completely forgot Glance on the x30 series... only one phone (830) had this feature, compared to 10 or so x20 series phones. It seems this is getting better on the x40 series though.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
well, it seems that Motorola isn't the first one copying Glance. One more reason to Microsoft promote and improve it more.

btw, i don't understand why they almost completely forgot Glance on the x30 series... only one phone (830) had this feature, compared to 10 or so x20 series phones. It seems this is getting better on the x40 series though.

Lol, gotta love MS and Nokia's marketing. LG stole the name from right under their noses

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to have glance than LED, but if glance isn't available doesn't mean I can't live without it. The case with LED's is that you have to wait a few milliseconds or so to wait for a blink, while with glance you only glance at the screen and that's it. But either or will do for notifications.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol, gotta love MS and Nokia's marketing. LG stole the name from right under their noses

They call it Glance View I think. I saw an AT&T tutorial video somewhere yesterday on how to use Glance View on the Flex 2.

And didn't samsung copy the WP Glance display? Not sure what they call it but in one of their next big thing is here commercials for the S6 they show the S6 display with the time and date and it looks exactly the same font and size as Glance on my Lumia. :eck:

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
They call it Glance View I think. I saw an AT&T tutorial video somewhere yesterday on how to use Glance View on the Flex 2.

And didn't samsung copy the WP Glance display? Not sure what they call it but in one of their next big thing is here commercials for the S6 they show the S6 display with the time and date and it looks exactly the same font and size as Glance on my Lumia. :eck:

Haha 😆, let's applaud LG and Samsung for their "innovation".

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Making registry edits is really simple... All you need is a phone with an SD Card (which the 830 has already). No unlocking required. Some parts of the registry are un-editable but a fair amount of personalisation is possible (custom accents, 5 action centre toggles, messing with sensors, enable 3G lock, etc.)

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

copying is Samsung's greatest specialty :wink: i might be wrong but i think they also were the first to copy the L730 and make their own "selfie phone", with a 5mp front camera as well...

and about this, i believe that pretty much all OEMs out there started to invest on better cameras on smartphones after the Lumias. I think users began to see Nokia phones' cameras as a differential (they still are) and said OEMs noticed it.

that's why Microsoft needs to step up their marketing: competition WILL copy. Glance is just an example of this...

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
When I first got the lumia 830 it was actually pretty quick. It seems after Denim it sometimes doesn't even recognize. I used to be able to just move my hand across the screen and it would show up. Now sometimes it doesn't even turn on. So I just enabled double tap to unlock and double tap the screen.

I also have this Glance lag issue on my new 830. It's a little sluggish compared to my 920. And sometimes I get a notification but the display does not wake up. But I do not have the full Denim update yet. I was hoping that the Denim update hopefully combined with GDR2, if that's what's taking my damn carrier (AT&T) so long to get the update out, would improve this issue. If not then I guess it's just the weaker display specs on the 830 compared to the 2 years older 920 or a hardware issue. Damn Nokia/MS always have to go backwards in specs or take something good away in almost every release! :eck:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been puzzling over this. I have no idea why this comes up. Could you guys clarify why only on AMOLED?

It's because AMOLED screens can display pitch black backgrounds really well by turning off the pixels which aren't used. This is great for glance since the text can be bright and the background still dark. On a non-AMOLED screen this isn't possible so it looks really dim and washed out in comparison. The difference between glance on my 820 and 920 is huge.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The problem I have with LED is it takes a lot of training to learn and use the information a blinking LED can convey. I had LED notification and even after repetitive use I could not always decipher what shade was being offered. I knew I had a notification, but not about what so I would have to open the phone anyway just to get clarification. Pointless.

With Glance your Lock Screen notifications can get forwarded... So whatever you set for Detailed Notification forwards; In my case I use Calendar and I always get a clear text written out of my next appointment on Glance. Also your Quick Notifications get forwarded which is up to 5 items that show as icons with a count next to them if they exceed 1. So in my case I see icons on Glance for Phone/Messaging/Primary Email/Secondary Email/Battery with %. Both emails are at different accounts so the icons are rendered differently. Once upon a time I had 2 emails at the same service and I simply separated them widely in the order and could tell them apart simply by position on the screen. I also get the Time, the Day of the Week, the Date of the Month (including month name), an Alarm icon if there is a pending alarm set and the Charging icon when the phone is connected to a charger/USB/Qi.

All of this is clearly labeled and readily identifiable just by looking at the screen while it sleeps. I know if I had a Phone call vs a Text, or which Email has a message - even if I missed the alert tone. No guessing. Just straight and clear information. And what you have for Detailed or quick is obviously selectable from your Lock Screen settings and therefore your Glance can be customized with the presented options.

So do the Glance notifications stay on until you wake the phone?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's because AMOLED screens can display pitch black backgrounds really well by turning off the pixels which aren't used. This is great for glance since the text can be bright and the background still dark. On a non-AMOLED screen this isn't possible so it looks really dim and washed out in comparison. The difference between glance on my 820 and 920 is huge.

I figured it was something like that. And I do get the deeper black thing of AMOLED and see why it makes fans of many, but I like the function of Glance on IPS LCD just as well (since functionally in terms of info imparted they are identical) I really don't have any aesthetic qualms with how it looks on LCD.

I guess that might be another thread as it seems die-hard AMOLED users really crave that deep black look...

So do the Glance notifications stay on until you wake the phone?

Sure. It persists until attended to in Notification Center or in the App, just like the Lock Screen Notifications. They are one and the same in behavior.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I figured it was something like that. And I do get the deeper black thing of AMOLED and see why it makes fans of many, but I like the function of Glance on IPS LCD just as well (since functionally in terms of info imparted they are identical) I really don't have any aesthetic qualms with how it looks on LCD.

I guess that might be another thread as it seems die-hard AMOLED users really crave that deep black look...

Sure. It persists until attended to in Notification Center or in the App, just like the Lock Screen Notifications. They are one and the same in behavior.

Maybe I should ask in a different way. The lock screen times out and goes off, does Glance do the same?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You can set it in 3 different ways:
Always on;
Interval - it'll remain on for 15 minutes each time it is activated;
Take a peek - it'll be on for 15 seconds each time it is activated.

No matter what setting you use, Glance will always turn off when the proximity sensor is covered (like when the phone is on your pocket) so no battery is wasted.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
that's why Microsoft needs to step up their marketing: competition WILL copy. Glance is just an example of this...

They'll rather focus on Office and Skype in their ads instead of these cool features. Why would people switch over to Lumia when there are alternatives on other platforms 1000 times better than Office? Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs