Glance... Yes, No, I Don't Care?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do like glance and it suit perfectly to my needs, like ,,tap to wake" but i use only glance. Tap to wake seem wasting my battery (1520). Sure, nice features but Nok..MS need to optimise it even more.

I use double-tap-to-wake sort of off and on in my daily life. A lot depends on grip and can I reach the Power button easily. Usually when I'm multitasking and need to get the phone ready while finishing something with the other hand.

I do LOVE double-tap-to-wake when I'm in the car and using nav and I have a loooong stretch on a road and I've turned the screen off to help the charging along. In the car mount scenario I think double-tap-to-wake becomes a fantastic tool and I'm dying for it's sibling to arrive with Update 2; double-tap-nav bar-to-sleep. That combo is must have for car mounted application, IMHO.

LOLz really that is another thread and maybe another poll?

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I use double-tap-to-wake sort of off and on in my daily life. A lot depends on grip and can I reach the Power button easily. Usually when I'm multitasking and need to get the phone ready while finishing something with the other hand.

I do LOVE double-tap-to-wake when I'm in the car and using nav and I have a loooong stretch on a road and I've turned the screen off to help the charging along. In the car mount scenario I think double-tap-to-wake becomes a fantastic tool and I'm dying for it's sibling to arrive with Update 2; double-tap-nav bar-to-sleep. That combo is must have for car mounted application, IMHO.

LOLz really that is another thread and maybe another poll?

Yes, i totaly understand you! Just imagine how unsafe is to open flip/casebook case and search unlock button.. DTtW is amazing, would like to see DTtLock too.
Well..i'm up for taht thread.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My Icon is my first Windows phone, it doesn't have glance, it sounds cool though. As someone posted above, I'd like to see a BlackBerry like notification LED on WP.

Face it Steve, you're in denial about your love for BlackBerry. It's ok to have both. They're phones, not wives, you can have more than one.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Face it Steve, you're in denial about your love for BlackBerry. It's ok to have both. They're phones, not wives, you can have more than one.

Come on, a led notification would come in handy, at least making the capacitive buttons blink, that'd be really useful 😊

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I used to think it was awesome... I also was assuming they would evolve it like Active Display on the Moto X line where you can actually tap on a notification and get more info. That was by far my most favorite feature of the Moto Xs.... The hardware stopped me from using it... bad battery/camera...

Alas they never improved it so I no longer really care about it.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Glance.

Do you love it? Need it? Won't buy another phone without it?

Hate it? Don't want it? The OS should get rid of it?

What's that? Meh...

Glance was implemented better on the Symbian / Nokia 808. Glance on WP is still pretty responsive, at least with the Lumia 925 that is ...
Got to love the weather peeking feature on Glance! Gave me hope in MS and the future of WP :')

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased an iPhone and will be returning it-- (one) on the list of reasons for returning is that it doesn't have Glance. I confess though that I didn't really appreciate Glance until I didn't have it. But I appreciate it now! :smile:

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know how to vote on this poll because it seems so "all or nothing" on the choices and I just don't fit in any of them. I like glance, a lot more than I expected to, but I certainly don't NEED it. But it is nice to not have to even press the power button to see if I've had any missed calls or texts and it's nice to have the rotating images with Glance Background Beta.

It certainly would not be a decision point in getting a new phone, but I do use it and like it on my 920.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know how to vote on this poll because it seems so "all or nothing" on the choices and I just don't fit in any of them. I like glance, a lot more than I expected to, but I certainly don't NEED it. But it is nice to not have to even press the power button to see if I've had any missed calls or texts and it's nice to have the rotating images with Glance Background Beta.

It certainly would not be a decision point in getting a new phone, but I do use it and like it on my 920.

So option 3? I don't care either way... :)

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Option 3 for me as well.... I don't use it, but I want to see it available and supported for those that do. As I use an Icon, I'm certainly not going to not buy a phone because Glance is/isn't supported.

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Glance is now must for me. Every friend that takes my phone and see that screen try to unlock it, but when I explain that it is always-on they got blown up and totally amazed by such a simple thing. ^^

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the point in Glace, except for the mode that stays on when charging. I can unlock my phone just as fast as pull it out of the pocket, don't see why I would need Glance on. That's my opinion though, and everyone has one.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am opposite of everyone so far... as is my life. I had glance, than had a three month trial with the HTC On M8 for Windows, and no longer had it. I found I really did not miss it at all. As a matter of a fact, I found I am so ingrained in the way I use my phone, Glance was almost annoying. Now that I am back on my Nokia, I have it shut off and just let my "muscle memory" take over when I am using my phone.

I love that it is available, and want to see it improved based on the feedback of those of you who do enjoy it. But me? Nah. It won't even be a consideration in my future purchases.

For the record: My son doesn't use Glance except for the clock option. My Daughter loves it.

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I think I have possibly misunderstood glance. I was worried that always on meant that my screen was literally always on, which would drain battery and I was worried about burning images into the screen.

So I've had it on peek - but I've just changed it to always on.

I admit, the flashing led is something I miss from my BB. Being able to know what type of message I just got even when my phone is on silent and without touching it was a big deal to me. Fortunately not a deal breaker - and the glance screen gives more info - but I have to pick it up and tap it to get it.

So not sure yet how I feel about glance. Lol.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In all seriousness I could take or leave glance.
I can see it as vital for many users.

I've actually had phone problems recently and I believe glance may be the cause.
So for now it's disabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb