Glance... Yes, No, I Don't Care?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Face it Steve, you're in denial about your love for BlackBerry. It's ok to have both. They're phones, not wives, you can have more than one.

No denial, I do love BlackBerry, but as you know I felt pretty hosed by the whole double typing fiasco, I will not support a company that operates like that.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Glance - prefer it. Especially as others have mentioned, at night. Bedtime clock-phone is great.

However, it would be sort of tolerable to not have it if double tap to wake (and hopefully, off) is available.

Or be on Verizon and know they are gonna get you somehow. *grumble*

(Have a 520, 928, 929, and also use a few iPod Touch's and Kindle Touch and Fire tablets. I push the wrong button frequently.)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Cannot live without it as I can see the time in the dark without blinding myself (use peek) and the tie into the weather app has made it even more tremendously useful.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm driving an 830 right now... It's a bit slow on the Glance. I have always on. Are you using Peek? I hear that is really slow on 830. I like the always on as it flashes my info whenever I take the phone out of pocket or lift it from where I lay it face down.

Yeah I use peek.

Godson Arun Kumar

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Don't have it on my old lumia. But really long for it and wouldn't buy a new lumia without it. It's both cool and useful in many ways: A sudden time check at night while sleeping, when I suddenly wake up, was that my phone that just finished ringing-just have a glance at it.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I love Glance on my 820. I like it better than Active Display on my Moto X 2014. I like how Glance will show upcoming events from my Calendar.

WP8_Lover

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't have Glance. My friend has it on his 720 and always shows it off to me -.- The feature was not available or I didn't know about it when I bought my 625. If it had been available, yes, it would have affected my buying decision. Too bad for me, lol.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I loved Glance on my 822, but it takes way to long to show up on my 830.

By the time Glance lights up on my phone, I could have pulled out the phone, turned it on, checked the time and placed it back in my picked
Pocket.

When I first got the lumia 830 it was actually pretty quick. It seems after Denim it sometimes doesn't even recognize. I used to be able to just move my hand across the screen and it would show up. Now sometimes it doesn't even turn on. So I just enabled double tap to unlock and double tap the screen.

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Poll #4 - All former Android Users(Like Myself) ENVY Glance so they don't need to open their phones everytime to check the clock or other stuffs

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Agree with the only on amoled screens part. Glance on a lcd is pretty pathetic. As for notification leds their time has come and gone.

I'm not familiar with Glance, but don't you need to interact with the phone to know you have a message or call? A BlackBerry type LED lets you know you have the above without touching the phone.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Glance, but don't you need to interact with the phone to know you have a message or call? A BlackBerry type LED lets you know you have the above without touching the phone.

The problem I have with LED is it takes a lot of training to learn and use the information a blinking LED can convey. I had LED notification and even after repetitive use I could not always decipher what shade was being offered. I knew I had a notification, but not about what so I would have to open the phone anyway just to get clarification. Pointless.

With Glance your Lock Screen notifications can get forwarded... So whatever you set for Detailed Notification forwards; In my case I use Calendar and I always get a clear text written out of my next appointment on Glance. Also your Quick Notifications get forwarded which is up to 5 items that show as icons with a count next to them if they exceed 1. So in my case I see icons on Glance for Phone/Messaging/Primary Email/Secondary Email/Battery with %. Both emails are at different accounts so the icons are rendered differently. Once upon a time I had 2 emails at the same service and I simply separated them widely in the order and could tell them apart simply by position on the screen. I also get the Time, the Day of the Week, the Date of the Month (including month name), an Alarm icon if there is a pending alarm set and the Charging icon when the phone is connected to a charger/USB/Qi.

All of this is clearly labeled and readily identifiable just by looking at the screen while it sleeps. I know if I had a Phone call vs a Text, or which Email has a message - even if I missed the alert tone. No guessing. Just straight and clear information. And what you have for Detailed or quick is obviously selectable from your Lock Screen settings and therefore your Glance can be customized with the presented options.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Only on amoled displays. If i had a notification led, i wouldnt use glance.

Agree with the only on amoled screens part. Glance on a lcd is pretty pathetic. As for notification leds their time has come and gone.

I've been puzzling over this. I have no idea why this comes up. Could you guys clarify why only on AMOLED?

I've used Glance on AMOLED and LCD. It's never caused me an issue either way and I like it each of type of screen...

Is it just that bit of background glow on lighting the whole display? Never bothers me.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
So option 3? I don't care either way... :)

Ah, I had thought option 3 was for people who don't hate it, but don't use it nonetheless. I went with option 1 because given the choice between having it and not having it, I would prefer to have it. But I would not go so far as to say I "must have it".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs