1GB Ram is no longer enough for WP.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Here is some reason why I said that:
- Some of game and app may crash on my Lumia 830 if I'm using it in a long time.
- Ported apps from Android aren't be good enough on 1GB ram device : http://forums.windowscentral.com/of...tumblr-best-3rd-party-app-tumblr-wp-ever.html
- Lumia 940 will have 3GB ram, so the other upcoming devices (lumia 740, 840) in middle-line will have to have at least 1.5-2GB ram, and low-end devices will be the 1GB devices.
- Microsoft started to dump all 512MB ram devices in store.

So suddenly my Lumia 830 is no longer an "affortable flagship" and became a "low-end flagship". :(

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, since MSFT entered the features war with w10 they care less about optimizations, but I still think that 1gb would be enough for whole w10, maybe beside the continuum

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
If you are right, then phones with 512mb ram are done. But Windows 10 will still support them, which means it will still be more optimized.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it's not that they care less about optimization, it's just they haven't gotten around to it in 10.

Also sorry to hear about the phone OP, I don't know if you're looking for a solution, but that behavior isn't normal behavior. (my 920 hasn't seen that at all on 8.1)

Also worth noting that Ported runs well, but it's not truly "ported" IIRC. GIFs are just kinda huge.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but I think you're wrong there, my 925 with 1GB works like a breeze on the last WP 8.1.1 update no lagging or something the last update really cleaned up the phone

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
it's not that they care less about optimization, it's just they haven't gotten around to it in 10.

Also sorry to hear about the phone OP, I don't know if you're looking for a solution, but that behavior isn't normal behavior. (my 920 hasn't seen that at all on 8.1)

Also worth noting that Ported runs well, but it's not truly "ported" IIRC. GIFs are just kinda huge.
Sorry but I think you're wrong there, my 925 with 1GB works like a breeze on the last WP 8.1.1 update no lagging or something the last update really cleaned up the phone

Snapdragon S4 on your both phones can handle most 3d games better than Snapdragon 400 due to stronger power consumption.
So yeah... Quadcore 1.3GHz on my Lumia 830 kinda bad for gaming, Dualcore 1.5GHz on Lumia 920/925 can gaming better.
But the resume speed on my phone is super fast compared to your phone...

And mostly, some game need alot of memory and I think they haven't enough with can only using 380MB ram on 1GB devices.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong as I do not wish to see anyone left behind (as I know how that feels with the whole WP7 to WP8 mess), however I think 1 GB Ram models will become = to the 512 Ram models now for 8.1.

It is not that they will not get Windows 10 for Phone, I think it will be a case of they will be later additions, and they will not be multi tasking.

Microsoft will bring the phones up to 10 but if you have 512 your feature set will be reduced. In terms of not being able to keep things Tombstoned, as a new feature is opened something left open will drop out ( force close).

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Here is some reason why I said that:
- Some of game and app may crash on my Lumia 830 if I'm using it in a long time.
- Ported apps from Android aren't be good enough on 1GB ram device
- Lumia 940 will have 3GB ram, so the other upcoming devices (lumia 740, 840) in middle-line will have to have at least 1.5-2GB ram, and low-end devices will be the 1GB devices.
- Microsoft started to dump all 512MB ram devices in store.

So suddenly my Lumia 830 is no longer an "affortable flagship" and became a "low-end flagship". :(

One you forgot:
1GB isn't enough to keep some apps running in the state you left them at long enough when you multitask between apps

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
No longer enough??? I got 70% RAM Free on my Lumia 640XL when I'm playing Six-Guns. And this is on WP 8.1. Think about the optimizations on W10

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, the only game I have had crash on me is Tap Titans. I don't think it's the fault of Microsoft but rather the developer. They are the ones that optimize their game for the memory amounts. Hence some games don't support 512 etc. But overall I have not had any issues with my 1 gig lumia 830 with up to date developer preview windows 8.1. If you are swapping between many tasks and background tasks are taking too much memory the task may be temporarily placed onto the phone storage. It's also the developers job to be able to resume properly from it once the person swaps back to their app. Readit is a great example. I see it resume back to the position I was in.

This goes for android as well. I have played with android development and once again you as the developer are responsible for restoring your app to where it was. Android calls certain functions when the app is going into storage space and restoring.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As Microsoft has said WM10 will support 512MB devices (with perhaps limited functionality), that actually is great news for devices with 1GB RAM as it means they will run very smoothly.

> 1GB will likely be needed for Continuum where you have two screens and two apps to manage smoothly at once. Not to mention networking/USB/Miracast etc. So yes, I see flagship phones moving to 2GB, but most other devices will have a great experience in 1GB RAM.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The 920 was a flagship once, and the 830 is pretty much a revision of that model. The RAM is not the limiting factor if you consider the price for the 830, it was the Snapdragon 400 SoC. The graphical performance with this SoC is underwhelming when compared to the S4 SoC's. If they've put Snapdragon 600, it would still perform a lot better than the 400 even with 1GB RAM, and that would've made it an even more affordable flagship.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry OP... But 1gb is quite enough for 99.999% of the apps.
Say that to developer and Microsoft, not me.
I think that's obvious, isn't it?
More time spent on gaming (and also switching apps a few times) would kill the performance
No, I'm using only 1 app at a time. And you said that obvious and that means you knew I already know that, right?
The 920 was a flagship once, and the 830 is pretty much a revision of that model. The RAM is not the limiting factor if you consider the price for the 830, it was the Snapdragon 400 SoC. The graphical performance with this SoC is underwhelming when compared to the S4 SoC's. If they've put Snapdragon 600, it would still perform a lot better than the 400 even with 1GB RAM, and that would've made it an even more affordable flagship.
Thanks for repeated my word... I guess...

380MB ram is the limited for app and games on 1GB WP devices can use. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj681682(v=vs.105).aspx
I don't think some game which is ported from Android are optimized for this.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I've stated this since the launch of the 830, putting a Snapdragon 400 in the 830 was a the most absurd thing MS have done in a long time.
Its the most expensive 1.2Ghz phone i can buy right now. No wonder there are various sources claiming they are stopping production for the 830 in less than a year.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Definitely not. IMO even high-end WP (SD800 and 2GB RAM) isn't high-end in term of processing power, they are mid-end, WP has no high-end phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The technical reasons why you suspect 1GB is insufficient are based either on misunderstandings or on false assumptions. Having 1GB of RAM (just like every iPhone) is not the problem you're making it out to be.
- Some of game and app may crash on my Lumia 830 if I'm using it in a long time.:(
If you're not the developer and can't monitor what precisely caused the crash, believing it's related to out-of-memory conditions, requires a BIG leap of faith. It could just as well be one of a gazillion other things.

If we take that leap and assume the crash is related to running out of memory, then we're still not talking about a general problem. If it was, the app wouldn't launch or run at all, but it does. That means this would be akin to a bug that continually leaks more and more memory over time. In that case the obvious thing to do is fix the bug. Adding more RAM doesn't fix anything. At best it postpones the crash, if even that. That would definitely be a poor reason to want more RAM, considering that in this case, it would achieve very little beyond making the phone more expensive.

- Ported apps from Android aren't be good enough on 1GB ram device : http://forums.windowscentral.com/of...tumblr-best-3rd-party-app-tumblr-wp-ever.html
Apparently, Tumbler limits the size of animated gifs to 2MB, but a 1GB device isn't enough to display that? Do the math...

It's likely that the dev prefers an incorrect but simple explanation, over one that is correct but complicated. I suspect the preference for lower resolution gifs is related more to cellular bandwidth than RAM.

You mean like the low end iPhones, which to this day run anything a 4GB Android device runs?

1GB on 720p devices is fine, and unless your primary concern is bragging rights, it will be for quite some time. If you're trying to make a technical argument you need more to back that up with. If you're just arguing market psychology, then yes, that's an issue. People will always associate bigger numbers with better, and the less people understand the more likely that is to occur unconditionally, which is almost always wrong when it comes to tech.

Of course more RAM is never a bad thing. It's just that 1GB on a 720p device isn't the problem, nor is having more the huge benefit you're making it out to be.

The technical reasons I can think of why an across-the-board bump to memory capacity would make sense for new phones would be:

• 64bit CPUs. To do the same thing, 64bit devices will all require 10% to 20% more memory than their 32bit equivalents.
  • Possibly apps ported from Android using MS' project Astoria. I have no idea what this entails, but I won't be surprised if significantly higher memory requirements are part of the deal. On the other hand, most of those apps won't be sourced from Android at all. The overwhelming majority will be ported from iOS, which very well could be even more frugal with memory than their .NET based WP counterparts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05