Screen Wars! AMOLED? IPS LCD? No Difference?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK... Here is another poll. Where do you stand?

When you shop phones what are you looking for in a display type? Does it not matter to you? "Just give me ppi and I'm fine..." Or do you go after a specific type? Some love the deep blacks and high contrast of AMOLED as well as the decreased power needs. Others favor the IPS LCD type of display for better sunlight readability, sharpness and more natural colors.

Tell us how you feel...

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I voted 'not high on my list of criteria'. Personally I prefer AMOLED but it's not going to be a deciding factor when buying a mobile device. I do hope that a future Microsoft flagship model offers AMOLED with Glance option .... if that transpires then I'm all over it. If not, I'm not going to bury my head in a pillow and whine about life not being fair .... blah blah. :smile:

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Amoled for me...i have handsets with both and I just prefer the more vibrant amoled. Saying that, my 1520s lcd shows they can be pretty awesome too.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I love the deep pixels-off blacks of Amoled, but still prefer IPS LCD for its longevity. Often i feel a little afraid of causing burn in on those buttons on the bottom of the UI, especially those 3 from WhatsApp when i'm using it too much.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Despite how my major Windows phones (930, 820) are both some form of OLED, I much prefer the accuracy and efficiency of IPSLCD.

The colors are very saturated and eye-popping, but anyone who's even grazed the study of graphic design/pantone will have a problem with that very thing. If my 930 had an IPSLCD (and an SD card slot) you'd have a tough time getting me to let go of this phone.

Sure gets a lot of attention in public though.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
speaking of Amoled, i always wondered if those small static elements at the top (wifi, data, time e so on) won't burn in eventually. They usually are displayed even more frequently than the ellipsis at the bottom and are often displayed in high contrast with the black color. Isn't that very bad? Those ellipsis kind of worry me too, a great amount of apps use the same model: 3 very white buttons

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I'm all in for IPS LCD. AMOLED seems to strain my eyes it's so oversaturated sometimes. Like my wife's Galaxy Tab S. That thing burns my retinas. I will say that I think Nokia tunes an AMOLED screen better than anyone. My 925 I had looked good as does the 928 I'm playing with now, but I muted the color down in color profile.

IPS LCD just looks more real to me in terms of color. I really like the greater sunlight readability. Very important in a phone, IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes