05-21-2015 07:04 AM
64 123
tools
    That is not normal iPhone battery life by any means.
    pankaj981 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-11-2015 06:46 PM
    Re: fasciN8ing,
    If your 920s battery has stopped holding a charge and you can't replace it, maybe consider getting a phone from eBay or one of the other online retailers. My wife dropped her HTC 8X and cracked her screen so we picked her up a new one (new, never used) for $120. This will work for her until the new Windows 10 phones come out.

I've dropped my Nokia way too many times and haven't broken my phone so far.

If you get an apple phone, my friend says to get the insurance for replacing cracked screens.

Best Wishes.
    05-11-2015 08:18 PM
    I would never wait on any product. I say go for the iPhone and see if you like it. I used an iPhone uses for a couple years and enjoyed it until it became stale and stagnant to me. You don't have to be tied to any product, especially being a consumer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-11-2015 08:47 PM
    Hmm regarding photography. I think I just need a Nikon + PC + Adobe software(or whatever).
    I don't need to use a Phone app.
    Kevin Rush and oviedofreak82 like this.
    05-11-2015 09:40 PM
    The lack of speed in getting out the better WP phones has got to be making a lot of current users moving to another OS. I have been wanting to upgrade my 820 for the past several months but the only thing I was interested in was the 830 (way overpriced) and it is not really much of any upgrade if one at all. I have been taking a look at the 640/640XL; but try to find them in the USA. I finally bought a Moto G lte to tide me over until something happens. But to be honest my 820 (more than 2 years old) is better than the G lte. Performance wise they are close; but the G does not let you uninstall any of the Google items so they sit there taking up room (I don't use them and have disabled them). Also Android is much more limited in what apps can be installed on the CD card. Unlike WP8.1 which allows almost everything to be installed on the SD card. In the very near future I will upgrade my 820. But I am like alot of WP users, very tired of seeing COMMING SOON. The 840 looking interesting; but I will probably die of old age before it is put on the market (I'm 69). Luckly my 820 still works great and that is why it is still my main phone. But sooner or later a lot of us are going to get tired of waiting. Is anyone at Microsoft hearing us.
    I'm in the same boat. Have a 820 and 920 and there's has been no upgrade that is worth it to me. The 830 is a joke and the 930 is on a different continent. With the disappointing direction W10 for Phones is going I just might have to reconsider the whole MS services thing as well.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    05-11-2015 10:27 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Have a 820 and 920 and there's has been no upgrade that is worth it to me. The 830 is a joke and the 930 is on a different continent. With the disappointing direction W10 for Phones is going I just might have to reconsider the whole MS services thing as well.
    Don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater." I'm not sure why so many people think it needs to be all or none. If you like Microsoft's services on your WP, you would probably like them even better on an iPhone or Android. Apple & Google each have their own set of services that are more than sufficient for the vast majority of users, but if you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's little reason to switch.

You'd probably be surprised how easy it is to carry on with your Microsoft services on an iPhone or Android. For the most part you'll have an even better experience.
    Laura Knotek and Witness like this.
    05-11-2015 10:39 PM
    Re: fasciN8ing,
    If your 920s battery has stopped holding a charge and you can't replace it, maybe consider getting a phone from eBay or one of the other online retailers. My wife dropped her HTC 8X and cracked her screen so we picked her up a new one (new, never used) for $120. This will work for her until the new Windows 10 phones come out.

I've dropped my Nokia way too many times and haven't broken my phone so far.

If you get an apple phone, my friend says to get the insurance for replacing cracked screens.

Best Wishes.
    You should get insurance for any phone you get. My iPhone as well as two of my daughters iPhones have been through some scary bad drops, no problems at all. Same with my 1520, it's sturdy. But my 1020 gets dropped once and never worked again. See what I'm saying here. It's the luck of the draw, some will break, some won't.
    05-11-2015 10:42 PM
    Plus if you get a iPhone be sure to get a battery back and and portable charger, iPhones have small batteries and drain the battery fast. My wife's old iPhone 4 had great battery life and still does, she got a iPhone 5s last summer and I had to buy her a Mophie battery back with the built in additional 32gb storage, plus she still needed a portable battery charger for travel, the iPhone 5s would drain the phones battery and Mophien battery back in around 12 hours normal usage. without the Mophie battery back the phones battery only lasted 5 or 6 hours on a good day.

Get use to the power cord being hooked to the iPhone like a ill patient hooked to a IV.
    This may be true for all other models of iPhone, but the iPhone 6 plus has an AMAZING battery. I can go well past 2 days on a single charge under normal daily use. Last weekend, I rode 100 miles on my bike and had my 6 plus running Strava. When I was done with the ride over 5 hours later, the battery was at 75%. My buddy's 5c was at 18% by comparison.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-11-2015 10:59 PM
    Don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater." I'm not sure why so many people think it needs to be all or none. If you like Microsoft's services on your WP, you would probably like them even better on an iPhone or Android. Apple & Google each have their own set of services that are more than sufficient for the vast majority of users, but if you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's little reason to switch.

You'd probably be surprised how easy it is to carry on with your Microsoft services on an iPhone or Android. For the most part you'll have an even better experience.
    A Long Time Microsoft User Tries Android: Guess What? It?s Great! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Guytronic, tgp and jmshub like this.
    05-11-2015 11:04 PM

I'm not willing to trade WP's UI over Android or iOS'. You are right, there is very little benefit to switching. Sticking with 8.1 for a long time seems to be the only choice I have. Seeing with the direction MS is taking W10 I'm okay with that.
    Witness and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-12-2015 12:03 AM
    You should get insurance for any phone you get. My iPhone as well as two of my daughters iPhones have been through some scary bad drops, no problems at all. Same with my 1520, it's sturdy. But my 1020 gets dropped once and never worked again. See what I'm saying here. It's the luck of the draw, some will break, some won't.
    Another option is to check your homeowner's/renter's insurance policy. Some of those policies cover stolen/damaged phones.
    Guytronic likes this.
    05-12-2015 12:08 AM
    Get the iPhone. All of the Microsoft apps and services work flawlessly. After a month or so, you will stop aching for that flagship Windows phone that may or may not ever materialize. It's actually very liberating.
    If this advice was given a year ago, you would have been shot dead :D Good to see a lot of people have come to their senses.
    05-12-2015 03:36 AM
    If this advice was given a year ago, you would have been shot dead :D Good to see a lot of people have come to their senses.
    With even more sense get S6 for the same price for more. :) or who knows.. There's talk about iPhone 6C, 7..... already for 2015
    Last edited by Slovenix; 05-12-2015 at 04:40 AM.
    05-12-2015 03:41 AM
    A year ago there was a big difference between using Microsoft apps and services on the iPhone vs. a Windows Phone. Now there is no difference and - at the moment - it's a better experience on the iPhone.

It's not so much that people have come to their senses, rather Microsoft has changed their business model in regards to mobile phones. I am convinced that they don't care what phone you use, just as long as you are still able to use their apps and services. Smart move in my opinion. Everyone wins!
    Witness and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-12-2015 10:17 AM
    I am convinced that they don't care what phone you use
    I think Microsoft does care what phone you use, or at least they used to. But they found out that exclusivity, no matter how compelling the services, was not bringing users to their platform. The alternative services were not as good for the most part, but they were good enough. Microsoft had no choice.

But I do agree that the platform doesn't matter so much now that Microsoft has first-rate apps on iOS and Android. What is concerning though is that the platform seems to be becoming less and less relevant, by Microsoft's own doings.

The biggest advantage to Microsoft having their own platform is that their services are default, and even the only ones available. On iOS and Android users need to be compelled somehow to use Microsoft's services.
    05-12-2015 10:25 AM
    To be honest Windows Phone and now this "new" Microsoft made me fall in love with their services more than their Operating Systems.. I still prefer Windows for desktop for sure.
    05-12-2015 10:47 AM
    And not just Office and Skype, their lock screen launcher and stuff on Android :)
    05-12-2015 10:50 AM
    A year ago, MS apps and services were not as good as they are now on those other platforms. Time makes a difference.

Apps and services aside, the major differentiating factor is that iOS is still very much stale in the UI and I still long for the Modern UI where everything is accessible/faster.
    RumoredNow and Kevin Rush like this.
    05-12-2015 04:24 PM
    Have you considered buying an unlocked phone from a Microsoft store / Microsoft website? I have T-Mobile, who also has hardly any windows phones, and my last purchase was direct from Microsoft so I could buy a Blu Win HD LTE phone.
    .......With that said. I am the person who likes variety and trying new things. I've owned multiple iPhones, Windows Phones, and Android. Once Blackberry and Palm make a comeback, ill try them too. I'v even looked into trying a firefox phone at one point.
    05-12-2015 08:16 PM
    I may consider the Samsung S6 Active I just saw leaked on Engadget. I didn't like the S6 because of weak battery life reports but the active version has a 3,500mah battery! Should last a great deal longer
    05-14-2015 11:20 PM
    I may consider the Samsung S6 Active I just saw leaked on Engadget. I didn't like the S6 because of weak battery life reports but the active version has a 3,500mah battery! Should last a great deal longer
    I always say that if you are going Android, go Nexus. Longest and fastest update track, uncluttered by infernal skins, factory unlocked for any SIM, best and quickest dev support and priced attractively. Spec may not be bleeding edge, but is very well thought out and value for the $$$. I rocked the heck out of my N4 and put it through a lot without any complaints or mishaps. It was so flexible it made any modding very fun.

Quick -n- easy rooting tools abound. For a great customizable experience add Xposed Framework and pick some modules to suit. francoKernel lets you tweak the engine nicely and done.
    05-15-2015 08:52 AM
    I always say that if you are going Android, go Nexus.
    I like the concept behind the Nexus phones, but stock android is actually quite boring. Also, Nexus hardware is pretty mediocre compared to some of the nice features and sleek hardware you can get with a Galaxy or LG.

On a personal note, if Windows 10 doesn't arrive soon, i'm thinking about switching back to Android. I always thought people were big complainers about not having apps, but now I realize how dependent I am on some of them.
    05-15-2015 08:59 AM
    I like the concept behind the Nexus phones, but stock android is actually quite boring. Also, Nexus hardware is pretty mediocre compared to some of the nice features and sleek hardware you can get with a Galaxy or LG.

On a personal note, if Windows 10 doesn't arrive soon, i'm thinking about switching back to Android. I always thought people were big complainers about not having apps, but now I realize how dependent I am on some of them.
    Boring? Perhaps. But the skins I've tried don't really add much of value compared to the bloat. Samsung's TouchWiz irritates me no end. (I still deal with it on my wife's Note 2 and Galaxy Tab S.) Hence the advice to get Xposed and perk it up in just the ways you want without sacrificing yourself to a corporate vision. Other skins are less intrusive, but still layer an unnecessary complication into the UI and settings, IMHO. And don't forget that even most Flagship Androids only get one official update and then done, whereas Nexus gets so many updates and so quickly. Then proponents of the Flagships say, just flash a ROM. So what was so valuable about that skin you paid extra for that you are just going to throw away?

Nexus 6 has a 5.96" QHD AMOLED display with 493ppi, Snapdragon 805 SoC, 3GB RAM and SD slot, 13MP camera with OIS and dual LED flash capable of 4k video recording, Qi wireless charging ready, Fast Charge capable, full array of sensors including magnetometer and barometer, 3220 mAh battery and 32GB or 64GB internal storage. That's mediocre??? O... K...
    Nexus 6 specs | Android Central
    tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-15-2015 09:26 AM
    Nexus 6 has a 5.96" QHD AMOLED display with 493ppi, Snapdragon 805 SoC, 3GB RAM and SD slot, 13MP camera with OIS and dual LED flash capable of 4k video recording, Qi wireless charging ready, Fast Charge capable, full array of sensors including magnetometer and barometer, 3220 mAh battery and 32GB or 64GB internal storage. That's mediocre??? O... K...
    Nexus 6 specs | Android Central
    For someone not totally cracked over Android, you gave an excellent sales pitch here!

I actually use a Nexus 6 as my daily driver, and I can vouch for the implication that it is a magnificent device.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-15-2015 09:36 AM
    Hey... I was all in on Android between my webOS time and moving on to Windows Phone. I even went with GoogleTV for a little while and tried some sideloading of Apps onto a Sony NSZ-GS7. I flashed alternate OS's onto my N4 (FireFox OS, Ubuntu, Sailfish) and set up multiROM to leverage things. Having tried a few corporate offerings and a couple of Nexi, I would never accept anything less easy, flexible and widely/quickly supported as a Nexus device.

I realized I liked the modding way more than the UI/UX. Apps and spec sheet aren't necessarily higher on my list of priorities than UI and the skins kill Android UI quicker for me than anything else.
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    05-15-2015 09:46 AM
64 123