Honest Question from Long Loyal WP User

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
To be honest Windows Phone and now this "new" Microsoft made me fall in love with their services more than their Operating Systems.. I still prefer Windows for desktop for sure.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If this advice was given a year ago, you would have been shot dead :D Good to see a lot of people have come to their senses.

A year ago, MS apps and services were not as good as they are now on those other platforms. Time makes a difference.

Apps and services aside, the major differentiating factor is that iOS is still very much stale in the UI and I still long for the Modern UI where everything is accessible/faster.

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Have you considered buying an unlocked phone from a Microsoft store / Microsoft website? I have T-Mobile, who also has hardly any windows phones, and my last purchase was direct from Microsoft so I could buy a Blu Win HD LTE phone.
.......With that said. I am the person who likes variety and trying new things. I've owned multiple iPhones, Windows Phones, and Android. Once Blackberry and Palm make a comeback, ill try them too. I'v even looked into trying a firefox phone at one point.

fasciN8ing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I may consider the Samsung S6 Active I just saw leaked on Engadget. I didn't like the S6 because of weak battery life reports but the active version has a 3,500mah battery! Should last a great deal longer

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I may consider the Samsung S6 Active I just saw leaked on Engadget. I didn't like the S6 because of weak battery life reports but the active version has a 3,500mah battery! Should last a great deal longer

I always say that if you are going Android, go Nexus. Longest and fastest update track, uncluttered by infernal skins, factory unlocked for any SIM, best and quickest dev support and priced attractively. Spec may not be bleeding edge, but is very well thought out and value for the $$$. I rocked the heck out of my N4 and put it through a lot without any complaints or mishaps. It was so flexible it made any modding very fun.

Quick -n- easy rooting tools abound. For a great customizable experience add Xposed Framework and pick some modules to suit. francoKernel lets you tweak the engine nicely and done.

Derewd

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I always say that if you are going Android, go Nexus.

I like the concept behind the Nexus phones, but stock android is actually quite boring. Also, Nexus hardware is pretty mediocre compared to some of the nice features and sleek hardware you can get with a Galaxy or LG.

On a personal note, if Windows 10 doesn't arrive soon, i'm thinking about switching back to Android. I always thought people were big complainers about not having apps, but now I realize how dependent I am on some of them.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the concept behind the Nexus phones, but stock android is actually quite boring. Also, Nexus hardware is pretty mediocre compared to some of the nice features and sleek hardware you can get with a Galaxy or LG.

On a personal note, if Windows 10 doesn't arrive soon, i'm thinking about switching back to Android. I always thought people were big complainers about not having apps, but now I realize how dependent I am on some of them.

Boring? Perhaps. But the skins I've tried don't really add much of value compared to the bloat. Samsung's TouchWiz irritates me no end. (I still deal with it on my wife's Note 2 and Galaxy Tab S.) Hence the advice to get Xposed and perk it up in just the ways you want without sacrificing yourself to a corporate vision. Other skins are less intrusive, but still layer an unnecessary complication into the UI and settings, IMHO. And don't forget that even most Flagship Androids only get one official update and then done, whereas Nexus gets so many updates and so quickly. Then proponents of the Flagships say, just flash a ROM. So what was so valuable about that skin you paid extra for that you are just going to throw away?

Nexus 6 has a 5.96" QHD AMOLED display with 493ppi, Snapdragon 805 SoC, 3GB RAM and SD slot, 13MP camera with OIS and dual LED flash capable of 4k video recording, Qi wireless charging ready, Fast Charge capable, full array of sensors including magnetometer and barometer, 3220 mAh battery and 32GB or 64GB internal storage. That's mediocre??? O... K...
Nexus 6 specs | Android Central

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6 has a 5.96" QHD AMOLED display with 493ppi, Snapdragon 805 SoC, 3GB RAM and SD slot, 13MP camera with OIS and dual LED flash capable of 4k video recording, Qi wireless charging ready, Fast Charge capable, full array of sensors including magnetometer and barometer, 3220 mAh battery and 32GB or 64GB internal storage. That's mediocre??? O... K...
Nexus 6 specs | Android Central

For someone not totally cracked over Android, you gave an excellent sales pitch here! :smile:

I actually use a Nexus 6 as my daily driver, and I can vouch for the implication that it is a magnificent device.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey... I was all in on Android between my webOS time and moving on to Windows Phone. I even went with GoogleTV for a little while and tried some sideloading of Apps onto a Sony NSZ-GS7. I flashed alternate OS's onto my N4 (FireFox OS, Ubuntu, Sailfish) and set up multiROM to leverage things. Having tried a few corporate offerings and a couple of Nexi, I would never accept anything less easy, flexible and widely/quickly supported as a Nexus device.

I realized I liked the modding way more than the UI/UX. Apps and spec sheet aren't necessarily higher on my list of priorities than UI and the skins kill Android UI quicker for me than anything else.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I realized I liked the modding way more than the UI/UX.

I have the exact opposite opinion! I've been using Nexus devices the last couple years, and I have lost all desire for modding. I usually root, but otherwise I leave them completely stock.

The UI is a different story. I prefer WP's UI when I'm looking at it, but the preference goes away when I start to use it. I much prefer the Android/iOS UI for actual use.

RumoredNow=likes Android for the modding possibilities but prefers WP's UI.
tgp=doesn't mod Android but prefers its UI.

We're all cool, right? :winktongue:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact opposite opinion! I've been using Nexus devices the last couple years, and I have lost all desire for modding. I usually root, but otherwise I leave them completely stock.

The UI is a different story. I prefer WP's UI when I'm looking at it, but the preference goes away when I start to use it. I much prefer the Android/iOS UI for actual use.

I haven't rooted my Nexus 7, but I'm using Nova Launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Sounds exactly correct and very cool. :cool:

I haven't rooted my Nexus 7, but I'm using Nova Launcher.

When you get the chance, look at francoKernel and Xposed over on XDA... There's a lot of good mileage in that stuff. I had it on a 1st gen N7 as well as the N4.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with whichever way you go, OP. Whether you switch to iOS or Android, you'll get a great MS experience. If you go Android, try the Moto G or E. They're decent phones at good prices, plus they aren't too heavily skinned. As close as you can get to Nexus products without having a Nexus product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb