Honest Question from Long Loyal WP User

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a Lumia 1520 (my first windows phone) off ebay for $230 and am quite happy with it. Though, I am going to be switching to tmobile soon, so I'm not sure if ill be able to stay with Windows Phone since tmobile has all but 3 outdated options...

You know T-Mo will let you bring that phone over?

Which variant is it? RM-983 is good to go. RM-940 can be configured to get 3G/H+ on T-Mo's AWS 1700 MHz with minimal effort and zero risk - just get your unlock from ATT.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You can go with either Android or iOS. I'm on an iP6 for now since I broke my L920 and am waiting for the WP10 flagship phones. Only thing you should be doing is keeping yourself on platform agnostic apps/cloud services.

I use OneDrive, Office, Skype and a host of other apps/services that are available in all three platforms. This makes it so I can change without too much pain or go back easily.

​Good luck.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Get the iPhone. All of the Microsoft apps and services work flawlessly. After a month or so, you will stop aching for that flagship Windows phone that may or may not ever materialize. It's actually very liberating.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Get the iPhone. All of the Microsoft apps and services work flawlessly. After a month or so, you will stop aching for that flagship Windows phone that may or may not ever materialize. It's actually very liberating.

Plus if you get a iPhone be sure to get a battery back and and portable charger, iPhones have small batteries and drain the battery fast. My wife's old iPhone 4 had great battery life and still does, she got a iPhone 5s last summer and I had to buy her a Mophie battery back with the built in additional 32gb storage, plus she still needed a portable battery charger for travel, the iPhone 5s would drain the phones battery and Mophien battery back in around 12 hours normal usage. without the Mophie battery back the phones battery only lasted 5 or 6 hours on a good day.

Get use to the power cord being hooked to the iPhone like a ill patient hooked to a IV.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: fasciN8ing,
If your 920s battery has stopped holding a charge and you can't replace it, maybe consider getting a phone from eBay or one of the other online retailers. My wife dropped her HTC 8X and cracked her screen so we picked her up a new one (new, never used) for $120. This will work for her until the new Windows 10 phones come out.

I've dropped my Nokia way too many times and haven't broken my phone so far.

If you get an apple phone, my friend says to get the insurance for replacing cracked screens.

Best Wishes.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I would never wait on any product. I say go for the iPhone and see if you like it. I used an iPhone uses for a couple years and enjoyed it until it became stale and stagnant to me. You don't have to be tied to any product, especially being a consumer.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The lack of speed in getting out the better WP phones has got to be making a lot of current users moving to another OS. I have been wanting to upgrade my 820 for the past several months but the only thing I was interested in was the 830 (way overpriced) and it is not really much of any upgrade if one at all. I have been taking a look at the 640/640XL; but try to find them in the USA. I finally bought a Moto G lte to tide me over until something happens. But to be honest my 820 (more than 2 years old) is better than the G lte. Performance wise they are close; but the G does not let you uninstall any of the Google items so they sit there taking up room (I don't use them and have disabled them). Also Android is much more limited in what apps can be installed on the CD card. Unlike WP8.1 which allows almost everything to be installed on the SD card. In the very near future I will upgrade my 820. But I am like alot of WP users, very tired of seeing COMMING SOON. The 840 looking interesting; but I will probably die of old age before it is put on the market (I'm 69). Luckly my 820 still works great and that is why it is still my main phone. But sooner or later a lot of us are going to get tired of waiting. Is anyone at Microsoft hearing us.

I'm in the same boat. Have a 820 and 920 and there's has been no upgrade that is worth it to me. The 830 is a joke and the 930 is on a different continent. With the disappointing direction W10 for Phones is going I just might have to reconsider the whole MS services thing as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Have a 820 and 920 and there's has been no upgrade that is worth it to me. The 830 is a joke and the 930 is on a different continent. With the disappointing direction W10 for Phones is going I just might have to reconsider the whole MS services thing as well.

Don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater." I'm not sure why so many people think it needs to be all or none. If you like Microsoft's services on your WP, you would probably like them even better on an iPhone or Android. Apple & Google each have their own set of services that are more than sufficient for the vast majority of users, but if you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's little reason to switch.

You'd probably be surprised how easy it is to carry on with your Microsoft services on an iPhone or Android. For the most part you'll have an even better experience.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: fasciN8ing,
If your 920s battery has stopped holding a charge and you can't replace it, maybe consider getting a phone from eBay or one of the other online retailers. My wife dropped her HTC 8X and cracked her screen so we picked her up a new one (new, never used) for $120. This will work for her until the new Windows 10 phones come out.

I've dropped my Nokia way too many times and haven't broken my phone so far.

If you get an apple phone, my friend says to get the insurance for replacing cracked screens.

Best Wishes.
You should get insurance for any phone you get. My iPhone as well as two of my daughters iPhones have been through some scary bad drops, no problems at all. Same with my 1520, it's sturdy. But my 1020 gets dropped once and never worked again. See what I'm saying here. It's the luck of the draw, some will break, some won't.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Plus if you get a iPhone be sure to get a battery back and and portable charger, iPhones have small batteries and drain the battery fast. My wife's old iPhone 4 had great battery life and still does, she got a iPhone 5s last summer and I had to buy her a Mophie battery back with the built in additional 32gb storage, plus she still needed a portable battery charger for travel, the iPhone 5s would drain the phones battery and Mophien battery back in around 12 hours normal usage. without the Mophie battery back the phones battery only lasted 5 or 6 hours on a good day.

Get use to the power cord being hooked to the iPhone like a ill patient hooked to a IV.

This may be true for all other models of iPhone, but the iPhone 6 plus has an AMAZING battery. I can go well past 2 days on a single charge under normal daily use. Last weekend, I rode 100 miles on my bike and had my 6 plus running Strava. When I was done with the ride over 5 hours later, the battery was at 75%. My buddy's 5c was at 18% by comparison.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Don't "throw the baby out with the bathwater." I'm not sure why so many people think it needs to be all or none. If you like Microsoft's services on your WP, you would probably like them even better on an iPhone or Android. Apple & Google each have their own set of services that are more than sufficient for the vast majority of users, but if you're already entrenched in Microsoft's services there's little reason to switch.

You'd probably be surprised how easy it is to carry on with your Microsoft services on an iPhone or Android. For the most part you'll have an even better experience.
A Long Time Microsoft User Tries Android: Guess What? It?s Great! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm not willing to trade WP's UI over Android or iOS'. You are right, there is very little benefit to switching. Sticking with 8.1 for a long time seems to be the only choice I have. Seeing with the direction MS is taking W10 I'm okay with that.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You should get insurance for any phone you get. My iPhone as well as two of my daughters iPhones have been through some scary bad drops, no problems at all. Same with my 1520, it's sturdy. But my 1020 gets dropped once and never worked again. See what I'm saying here. It's the luck of the draw, some will break, some won't.
Another option is to check your homeowner's/renter's insurance policy. Some of those policies cover stolen/damaged phones.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

If this advice was given a year ago, you would have been shot dead :D Good to see a lot of people have come to their senses.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
If this advice was given a year ago, you would have been shot dead :D Good to see a lot of people have come to their senses.

With even more sense get S6 for the same price for more. :) or who knows.. There's talk about iPhone 6C, 7..... already for 2015

Last edited:

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

A year ago there was a big difference between using Microsoft apps and services on the iPhone vs. a Windows Phone. Now there is no difference and - at the moment - it's a better experience on the iPhone.

It's not so much that people have come to their senses, rather Microsoft has changed their business model in regards to mobile phones. I am convinced that they don't care what phone you use, just as long as you are still able to use their apps and services. Smart move in my opinion. Everyone wins!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am convinced that they don't care what phone you use

I think Microsoft does care what phone you use, or at least they used to. But they found out that exclusivity, no matter how compelling the services, was not bringing users to their platform. The alternative services were not as good for the most part, but they were good enough. Microsoft had no choice.

But I do agree that the platform doesn't matter so much now that Microsoft has first-rate apps on iOS and Android. What is concerning though is that the platform seems to be becoming less and less relevant, by Microsoft's own doings.

The biggest advantage to Microsoft having their own platform is that their services are default, and even the only ones available. On iOS and Android users need to be compelled somehow to use Microsoft's services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte