Matte covers are awesome, glossy covers suck!

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The colors of Microsoft/Nokia Windows Phones are great! It is so awesome that you can get phones in less dull colors than, black, grey and "gold"...

However the trend of making the plastic covers glossy is incomprehensible to me. The glossy plastics gets greased up and scratched up so easily, and they also give the phone a much cheaper feel... Like it's pretending to be glass or something.

The bone-like texture of the matte finishes, on the phones is much more practical, and just look soooo much better.

I played around with the 640 and 640XL the other day, and the matte orange 640XL looks (and feels) fantastic, while the glossy orange 640 feels horribly cheap. The only version of the 640 that is matte is the black one, and that too feels great - it is just missing the color.

The 640 is a pretty cool phone, and I had actually decided to buy one to get by, while waiting for the 940 to come out... But now I don't want to, for the simple reason that I want a colorful phone, but I simply cannot live with a glossy cover..

I really don't understand why Microsoft wouldn't make a matte version of the other colors, or at least make replacement covers in the matte versions...

The issue is not new. The official replacement covers for the 630/635 only come in glossy colors, while the cover in the box is always matte. I had to go through a OEM spare-parts dealer to get matte orange and green covers for my 630.

Does anyone like the glossy colors more than the matte ones... And why?

F3rzz

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I love the pictures and videos of the glossy cyan, i think that double layer is really awesome and gorgeous. It reminds me of my gloriously white old iPod 5G (Clickwheel, aka iPod with video).

I haven't played around with neither finish, unfortunaly, as apparently Microsoft hates Chile...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can see both sides of the aesthetic. Glossy may not work for you, but obviously some like it as it keeps getting offered.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Team glossy here. The gloss white Lumia 920 is the most beautiful phone of all-time for my eyes. Too bad that I was never able to get one.

I find the matte finish too dull (lol). I always say, just like an automotive finish, glossy > matte.

I think a potential problem may be that the more recent glossy finished devices may not be using the same quality of polycarbonate and/or scratch resistant coating that the Lumia 920 had.

Fabula design is the pinnacle of phone aethestics in my opinion. I would love too see the Lumia 940 simply be a 920 with a larger display size and thinner body.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Team glossy here. The gloss white Lumia 920 is the most beautiful phone of all-time for my eyes. Too bad that I was never able to get one.

I find the matte finish too dull (lol). I always say, just like an automotive finish, glossy > matte.

I think a potential problem may be that the more recent glossy finished devices may not be using the same quality of polycarbonate and/or scratch resistant coating that the Lumia 920 had.

Fabula design is the pinnacle of phone aethestics in my opinion. I would love too see the Lumia 940 simply be a 920 with a larger display size and thinner body.

I like the pillowcase design of the 925 and 1520 the best
And I think I may be team matte! The glossy red 1520 looked really cool ,but I like the matte finishes better (a little)... Something about glossy just makes me think of the cheap... But I wouldn't completely dismiss it.... The white glossy 920 was really nice too!

Glossy=cool, colorful, eye catching, luminous Lumia!
Matte=cool sophisticated, colorful but settle, and high quality

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This kind of goes into what The next flagships should look like... Futuristic high quality looking metal (preferably the Sp3's magnesium), or colorful polycarbonate bodies? Or will Ms do something in between (like the 930)

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can see both sides of the aesthetic. Glossy may not work for you, but obviously some like it as it keeps getting offered.

Yeah, sure.. I don't doubt that some people prefer it.. I just have a hard time understanding why...
And more importantly, why both options aren't offered for replacement covers for the phones like 630, where the phone comes with a matte cover, but the only covers available are glossy ones... They obviously manufacture both, so why not give people the choice?

In my oppinion though, the glossy versions very quickly become greasy, and because they are made of plastic, scratches are a big problem...

The glossy finishes looks fine at a distance, but when held in the hand, they do feel cheap to me...

In a my perfect world, the 940 will look like the 830... With a metal frame and swappable polycarbonate backcovers. Maybe a choice beetween different ones, in the same fashion as the 830, with flip covers, bigger battery cover, Qi charging cover and so on... And in many different colors (both glossy and matte)!
I miss the old days of Nokia, where I had like 8 covers for my 3310 :)

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
With some Nokia/ Microsoft phones having removable shells, I think they should offer shells that are softer & grippier, the stock ones are too slick.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand everyone has their set of taste preferences... I even agree that the 830 is a great design.

I just don't want every phone to look the same. I like the myriad number of choices there on WP for design and color and body type.

I loved my 925. I love my 1520. I love my 830 (I have green and orange backs). My 928 is very business so it leaves me a bit cold in terms of design. My 635 was boring in matte black, but the glossy green shell made it cool. The neon orange of Blu Win HD was awesome.

No cookie cutter design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12