07-28-2015 11:51 AM
62 123
tools
    Not small sensor, we all know we are talking about a good quality camera, not just small sensor and high mp. Don't be lame for no reason. I'm a graphics designer and photographer for a living so I love great cameras on the back of my phone, but for young people who selfies are important too, having a great front shooter is the biggest sell for them. A standard 5mp basic sensor phone is jot going to sell. Microsoft/nokia has always messed up their highend/flagship devices when it cones to the frontshooter.
    07-23-2015 11:20 AM
    There has to be compromises. If you want thin, slim bezels, light weight, and a large sensor...5MP is a good compromise.
    07-23-2015 11:33 AM
    A tiny sensor, 'quality' or not, with 8mp will generate a worse image than that same tiny sensor with 5mp. Just get any camera with a pixel doubling sensor and test it for yourself (of course, simply lowering the res on a standard sensor won't show this for obvious reasons). I have never met one person who wanted to use their front facing camera to generate A3 posters. Why else would someone need high mp counts on their front cameras? So their phone storage gets eaten up perhaps? Or maybe because they like the 'artistic' effect of noisy photos?
    07-23-2015 01:34 PM
    Love this concept. The only change that I'd want would be Snapdragon 820 or 818. I know real life differences ain't that much but I still want my flagship to be on par with competitors when it comes to raw power. Unless you are Apple and make your own chipsets and only provide details in percentages. [wink]
    07-23-2015 02:00 PM
    Love this concept. The only change that I'd want would be Snapdragon 820 or 818. I know real life differences ain't that much but I still want my flagship to be on par with competitors when it comes to raw power. Unless you are Apple and make your own chipsets and only provide details in percentages. [wink]
    A Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 wouldn't be feasible, unless you were willing to wait another six months for a flagship device. Testing a new chip takes a long time.
    07-23-2015 04:56 PM
    A Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 wouldn't be feasible, unless you were willing to wait another six months for a flagship device. Testing a new chip takes a long time.
    Huawei Nexus and LG G4 Pro are rumored to come with Snapdragon 820 in fall. I guess we will see about that. But imagine what a bummer that would be if that happens while Lumia flagships are still stuck with a generation old SD 810/808. I hope these rumors are false- that no Snapdragon 820 device will release in this year. Or I hope Microsoft comes up with a 1020 successor within 1st quarter of 2016 around build and MWC, touting Snapdragon 820.
    07-24-2015 03:07 AM
    Huawei Nexus and LG G4 Pro are rumored to come with Snapdragon 820 in fall. I guess we will see about that. But imagine what a bummer that would be if that happens while Lumia flagships are still stuck with a generation old SD 810/808. I hope these rumors are false- that no Snapdragon 820 device will release in this year. Or I hope Microsoft comes up with a 1020 successor within 1st quarter of 2016 around build and MWC, touting Snapdragon 820.
    Actually the original rumor of the Huawei Nexus using the Snapdragon 820 was mostly debunked as being false, but there's still a change the LG Nexus uses it. But you have to remember the difference between the company who owns 80% of the market asking for chips and the company who owns 3% asking for chips. Google would get chips to test way earlier.
    07-24-2015 07:45 AM
    Most of the OEMs that form the bulk of android shipments probably don't even use Qualcomm. See Samsung's Exynos, Huawei also makes its own chips and then there is MediaTek.
    Seeing as Microsoft supports Qualcomm exclusively for Windows 10 mobile(and WP before) Id have thought they could get in early on latest chipsets from Qualcomm. Given though they need powerful silicon to drive continuum and imaging prowess that has come to associate with Lumias.
    07-24-2015 09:00 AM
    Most of the OEMs that form the bulk of android shipments probably don't even use Qualcomm. See Samsung's Exynos, Huawei also makes its own chips and then there is MediaTek.
    Seeing as Microsoft supports Qualcomm exclusively for Windows 10 mobile(and WP before) Id have thought they could get in early on latest chipsets from Qualcomm. Given though they need powerful silicon to drive continuum and imaging prowess that has come to associate with Lumias.
    Qualcomm still gets vastly more business from Android OEM's then Microsoft phones.
    Samsung's Exynos processors are exclusive to only a select few phones (and in the past those phones have only been available in Samsung's native South Korea...the Galaxy S6 is the first phone available worldwide with an Exynos, like the Tab S tablets were...even the LTE Tab S' used Qualcomm processors).
    Huawei's Kirin chips are only used by Huawei and Honor, and not even all of them, only a few.
    MediaTek is used mostly in Chinese OEM's phones, and you don't see them that often elsewhere.

Qualcomm (even after the bad rep from the Snapdragon 810) is still by far the largest chip manufacturer out there. If Samsung started producing Exynos processors for other OEM's maybe they'd have a chance of taking Qualcomm but Qualcomm could lose Microsoft and probably not care.
    07-24-2015 12:09 PM
    Yes qualcomm is definitely still the largest chip maker and will have no problem in the near or distant future lol.
    07-24-2015 12:36 PM
    Yes qualcomm is definitely still the largest chip maker and will have no problem in the near or distant future lol.
    Maybe, it may no remain for a long time as Qualcomm has rumours of splitting and spinning it's Processors business due to their failure of Snapdragon 810 processors as a result of their rush move.
    07-26-2015 12:28 PM
    Highly doubt that. With how big and successful they are even despite the 810 issue which is still being put in phones(lol).
    07-28-2015 11:51 AM
62 123