Windows 10 Concept: Microsoft Lumia 940

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, I thought it seemed logical but wanted to know if you had technical knowledge backing your reasoning.
Glance works by using the proximity sensors to detect motion in front of the screen. That's why four sensors would increase response time and reliability. In a dark setting the proximity sensors struggle to detect motion more than usual, and if you accidentally cover the sensor or particularly bright glare disrupts it, the Glance screen may not turn on or may be delayed. Four sensors--one placed in each corner--would ensure that if you're covering one three more are there to detect motion, and so on. Four sensors has greater chance of detecting motion in dark situations as well. Even if an AMOLED has a faster response time, it can't adapt to those other situations. At least, this is my reasoning.

Thanks. I understand how proximity sensors are used, but I was wondering how Glance is displayed on the screen. All I have seen thrown around is "display memory" haha.

Most smartphone proximity sensors emit infrared and detect how much is reflected. Visible light should not affect their functionality.

Not saying that four sensors is a bad thing, the more the better. Would even be suitable for "3D Touch" applications

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Thanks. I understand how proximity sensors are used, but I was wondering how Glance is displayed on the screen. All I have seen thrown around is "display memory" haha.

Most smartphone proximity sensors emit infrared and detect how much is reflected. Visible light should not affect their functionality.

Not saying that four sensors is a bad thing, the more the better. Would even be suitable for "3D Touch" applications

I was thinking that too. Like future-proofing the phone.
I seem to have greater issues with my glance screen in very bright or very dark situations, but maybe it's just my head.
I'm not sure how the Glance screen displays on screen, but I think it constantly delegates a small amount of power to present a lower resolution screen on demand.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking that too. Like future-proofing the phone.
I seem to have greater issues with my glance screen in very bright or very dark situations, but maybe it's just my head.
I'm not sure how the Glance screen displays on screen, but I think it constantly delegates a small amount of power to present a lower resolution screen on demand.

Yeah, I want to know more in depth! Nokia has done this before in many of their Symbian phones, but there isn't much information as to how they implement it.

Maybe its nothing advanced? Turn down resolution, brightness, and color depth? If this were truly the case I'd want to know why other phones lack glance XD

Would be my favorite feature if the phone went straight to home instead of the lock screen (like the 808). Can be cumbersome as it is (imo)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yeah, I want to know more in depth! Nokia has done this before in many of their Symbian phones, but there isn't much information as to how they implement it.

Maybe its nothing advanced? Turn down resolution, brightness, and color depth? If this were truly the case I'd want to know why other phones lack glance XD

Would be my favorite feature if the phone went straight to home instead of the lock screen (like the 808). Can be cumbersome as it is (imo)

I doubt it's very advanced, because even if it were other companies would be able to replicate it. I mean, I love Lumias, but they've never been at the top of the spec chain. From the looks of it it's simply dialing down screen settings and to present a low power image of the time/notifications etc.
That would be useful if when you don't have a PIN it went straight to home. Microsoft REALLY needs to implement "Smart Settings" like LG.
They'd be their own little section in settings, and would look a bit like this:
Headphones
1. When headphones are plugged in, open music app regardless of other apps opened
2. When headphones are plugged in, open music app as long as no other music or video apps are opened
3. Nothing happens when headphones are plugged in (default)

Or:
Lock Screen
1. If there's no PIN, go straight to home screen
2. Default

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
OK, very nice 940. But will there be a 1540. Or perhaps a 940XL?
Really need the 6 inch QHD Phablet.
Loud Clear Speakers, Great Reception, Great Camera, Huge battery, Core i7 Processor with Fan Coolded Fins which double as a hand warmer in winter or windshield defogger......

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
OK, very nice 940. But will there be a 1540. Or perhaps a 940XL?
Really need the 6 inch QHD Phablet.
Loud Clear Speakers, Great Reception, Great Camera, Huge battery, Core i7 Processor with Fan Coolded Fins which double as a hand warmer in winter or windshield defogger......

940 XL? Of course. I have ideas for a 1520 successor as well if you'd like to hear it. It's more powerful, and has a slightly more advanced camera setup (more space means more specs, honestly...and if you're going to spend the extra money for a larger phone you might as well get some extra features too).

Roy Corneloues BT

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I understand what you're saying about the port placement but I still firmly believe it would do better up top. Also I'd like to add that the charging port would be surrounded by a dark strip just like on the 830, and so would the headphone jack (or the headphone jack would be a slight chamfered ridge of darker aluminum).

Surely Continuum would put and end to top based connectivity. Docking stations will require the port to be at the bottom so it can, well, dock!

Any new high end Lumia device will need to consider Continuum...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I think I know.
A screen has small dots red, green and blue. And 1 RGB together make one pixel.
And every dot is connected to a switch and the switches are connected to lines. And every line is connected to the driving IC.
So every dot can be controlled.

To get a green screen all the green dots are switched on and all the blue and red are switched off.
And all the (mixed) colors are made by "mixing" of RGB. For example 15%red ,20 % green and 65 % blue gives color X.

Now to control the dots you need IC's and these are placed on the glass edge of the screen.
And these IC are complicated because they need to switch all the dots and create all the images (color movement etc) you see on the screen. (16 M colors mean that the IC's can make 16 million combinations)

And now to the Glance and display memory.
If the screens (LCD or OLED) are made you can use basically 2 technologies to make the switches. If you use the LTPS technology to make the switches you also can make rudimentary IC's on the glass.
And these rudimentary IC's are use for Glance.
So you do not use the complicated driving IC's but the " simple" IC's in the display. These are low power but also can not make that many combinations of color that fast. So no moving images and no full color pictures.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think I know.
A screen has small dots red, green and blue. And 1 RGB together make one pixel.
And every dot is connected to a switch and the switches are connected to lines. And every line is connected to the driving IC.
So every dot can be controlled.

To get a green screen all the green dots are switched on and all the blue and red are switched off.
And all the (mixed) colors are made by "mixing" of RGB. For example 15%red ,20 % green and 65 % blue gives color X.

Now to control the dots you need IC's and these are placed on the glass edge of the screen.
And these IC are complicated because they need to switch all the dots and create all the images (color movement etc) you see on the screen. (16 M colors mean that the IC's can make 16 million combinations)

And now to the Glance and display memory.
If the screens (LCD or OLED) are made you can use basically 2 technologies to make the switches. If you use the LTPS technology to make the switches you also can make rudimentary IC's on the glass.
And these rudimentary IC's are use for Glance.
So you do not use the complicated driving IC's but the " simple" IC's in the display. These are low power but also can not make that many combinations of color that fast. So no moving images and no full color pictures.

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
All these wet dreams are OK, but Microsoft isn't listening. They will do what they do.

Of course they're going to do whatever they want, but it's still nice to out my ideas out there. I honestly really enjoy reading about people's (realistic) dream phones. So if any of you have renders or concepts I'd love to take a look at them.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Surely Continuum would put and end to top based connectivity. Docking stations will require the port to be at the bottom so it can, well, dock!

Any new high end Lumia device will need to consider Continuum...

I wasn't aware there would be a dock. All I've heard is that you just plug your phone into a monitor. I guess it would make sense to release a special "Continuum" dock but it'd be easy to modify it for different designs.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Just please change the name! The 3 number thing stinks

I don't think there's an easy way to do it. I honestly think it works.
Microsoft (manufacturer) Lumia (brand) 940 (model).
At least I can get rid of the four digits
Microsoft Lumia 940 XL (moniker) for the 1520.
I guess Surface Phone could work but that suggest a business orientated phone and that this is not. It's a commercial phone.

Roy Corneloues BT

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't aware there would be a dock. All I've heard is that you just plug your phone into a monitor. I guess it would make sense to release a special "Continuum" dock but it'd be easy to modify it for different designs.

Kinda obvious if you think about it... How would you connect a keyboard and mouse ;-)

Do a quick search for "munchkin" on the main Windows Central site and this should answer some of your queries...

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The only complaint I have so far about the rumors of the real 940 is that they have them listed as 5mp front facing cameras, that is horrible for a flagship phone these days. Atleast an 8mp shooter should be included. Even mid-end devices like the HTC desire eye or whatever has a 8mp front shooter. That should he standard in highend devices if it is also in midend devices. So ridiculous ti me, and I seriously hope that gets changed before it is released or formally announced.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The only complaint I have so far about the rumors of the real 940 is that they have them listed as 5mp front facing cameras, that is horrible for a flagship phone these days. Atleast an 8mp shooter should be included. Even mid-end devices like the HTC desire eye or whatever has a 8mp front shooter. That should he standard in highend devices if it is also in midend devices. So ridiculous ti me, and I seriously hope that gets changed before it is released or formally announced.
Very few phones actually have an 8MP front facing camera, as it's a new trend. 5MP was a new trend last year, and before that 2MP was perfectly acceptable. The HTC Desire Eye is a selfie-oriented camera phone. It has a 13MP front facing camera with a dual-LED flash.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It is the new standard now, and that is how Microsoft needs ti model going forward, we consistently use old standards and tech instead of staying up to date and that is why people complain. Lets for once have a truly highend phone.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I started skimming after a while. Sounds impressive and I'm sure someone could probably build one.
But....how much! I know its a flagship, but each of those things come with a price tag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon