Windows 10 Concept: Microsoft Lumia 940

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I started skimming after a while. Sounds impressive and I'm sure someone could probably build one.
But....how much! I know its a flagship, but each of those things come with a price tag.

You are right, but it is a flagship, if people want a flagship they spend money, otherwise they get a midend device. Plus in america we still have subsidized contracts so people are willing to invest in a 800$ phone if they are only paying 200-300$ for it.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
You are right, but it is a flagship, if people want a flagship they spend money, otherwise they get a midend device. Plus in america we still have subsidized contracts so people are willing to invest in a 800$ phone if they are only paying 200-300$ for it.

I'm just wondering if all the features in this " Ideal" phone could be done within the flagship price range. We Windows people love our phones, and would jump on this one with both feet...if the price is competitive. It sounds like more of a $1500-$1800 phone. Then the carriers take over.
I think the next step is to try to price it out. Who knows, it might just work.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm just wondering if all the features in this " Ideal" phone could be done within the flagship price range. We Windows people love our phones, and would jump on this one with both feet...if the price is competitive. It sounds like more of a $1500-$1800 phone. Then the carriers take over.

It's only that expensive if Microsoft is idiotic and wants a $1,000 profit margin haha. This could be done for cheaper than the Galaxy S6 sells for, probably.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It is the new standard now, and that is how Microsoft needs ti model going forward, we consistently use old standards and tech instead of staying up to date and that is why people complain. Lets for once have a truly highend phone.

It's not "standard" yet, if it ever will be. The majority of flagship devices have 5MP front facing cameras. It's only really Chinese manufacturers and the odd phone or two from the big manufacturers that feature a higher MP front facing camera.
Also...more megapixels does not make a better camera.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Small sensor + high pixel count = poor pictures. Why do we want a tiny 8mp sensor for selfies? Does anyone really want to print off A3 posters from their selfie collection? This is barmy stuff. 5mp is pretty over the top for a selfie camera as it is. It's hard enough to keep the quality up on the front camera with 5mp. There is no need to knacker the front camera completely.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes it definitely could be done within the flagship price range. The ideal phone that oriole are talking about already exists in the form of pretty much other manufacture, the inly difference is it doesn't have windows phone on it. We aren't talking about a 1200$ device we are talking about a 700-800$ device based on the cost of the other already comparable devices put there with similar specs. Don't worry.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Nah bigger than 5mp with high quality sensor is becoming the standard since people have been fighting for selfie based front facers. That's important in the market today, especially if Microsoft wants to win over the younger generation which we all know is who makes a phone popular. As has been well known around here for a long time.

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Not small sensor, we all know we are talking about a good quality camera, not just small sensor and high mp. Don't be lame for no reason. I'm a graphics designer and photographer for a living so I love great cameras on the back of my phone, but for young people who selfies are important too, having a great front shooter is the biggest sell for them. A standard 5mp basic sensor phone is jot going to sell. Microsoft/nokia has always messed up their highend/flagship devices when it cones to the frontshooter.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
A tiny sensor, 'quality' or not, with 8mp will generate a worse image than that same tiny sensor with 5mp. Just get any camera with a pixel doubling sensor and test it for yourself (of course, simply lowering the res on a standard sensor won't show this for obvious reasons). I have never met one person who wanted to use their front facing camera to generate A3 posters. Why else would someone need high mp counts on their front cameras? So their phone storage gets eaten up perhaps? Or maybe because they like the 'artistic' effect of noisy photos?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Love this concept. The only change that I'd want would be Snapdragon 820 or 818. I know real life differences ain't that much but I still want my flagship to be on par with competitors when it comes to raw power. Unless you are Apple and make your own chipsets and only provide details in percentages. [wink]

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Love this concept. The only change that I'd want would be Snapdragon 820 or 818. I know real life differences ain't that much but I still want my flagship to be on par with competitors when it comes to raw power. Unless you are Apple and make your own chipsets and only provide details in percentages. [wink]
A Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 wouldn't be feasible, unless you were willing to wait another six months for a flagship device. Testing a new chip takes a long time.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
A Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 wouldn't be feasible, unless you were willing to wait another six months for a flagship device. Testing a new chip takes a long time.

Huawei Nexus and LG G4 Pro are rumored to come with Snapdragon 820 in fall. I guess we will see about that. But imagine what a bummer that would be if that happens while Lumia flagships are still stuck with a generation old SD 810/808. I hope these rumors are false- that no Snapdragon 820 device will release in this year. Or I hope Microsoft comes up with a 1020 successor within 1st quarter of 2016 around build and MWC, touting Snapdragon 820.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Huawei Nexus and LG G4 Pro are rumored to come with Snapdragon 820 in fall. I guess we will see about that. But imagine what a bummer that would be if that happens while Lumia flagships are still stuck with a generation old SD 810/808. I hope these rumors are false- that no Snapdragon 820 device will release in this year. Or I hope Microsoft comes up with a 1020 successor within 1st quarter of 2016 around build and MWC, touting Snapdragon 820.

Actually the original rumor of the Huawei Nexus using the Snapdragon 820 was mostly debunked as being false, but there's still a change the LG Nexus uses it. But you have to remember the difference between the company who owns 80% of the market asking for chips and the company who owns 3% asking for chips. Google would get chips to test way earlier.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Most of the OEMs that form the bulk of android shipments probably don't even use Qualcomm. See Samsung's Exynos, Huawei also makes its own chips and then there is MediaTek.
Seeing as Microsoft supports Qualcomm exclusively for Windows 10 mobile(and WP before) Id have thought they could get in early on latest chipsets from Qualcomm. Given though they need powerful silicon to drive continuum and imaging prowess that has come to associate with Lumias.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Most of the OEMs that form the bulk of android shipments probably don't even use Qualcomm. See Samsung's Exynos, Huawei also makes its own chips and then there is MediaTek.
Seeing as Microsoft supports Qualcomm exclusively for Windows 10 mobile(and WP before) Id have thought they could get in early on latest chipsets from Qualcomm. Given though they need powerful silicon to drive continuum and imaging prowess that has come to associate with Lumias.

Qualcomm still gets vastly more business from Android OEM's then Microsoft phones.
Samsung's Exynos processors are exclusive to only a select few phones (and in the past those phones have only been available in Samsung's native South Korea...the Galaxy S6 is the first phone available worldwide with an Exynos, like the Tab S tablets were...even the LTE Tab S' used Qualcomm processors).
Huawei's Kirin chips are only used by Huawei and Honor, and not even all of them, only a few.
MediaTek is used mostly in Chinese OEM's phones, and you don't see them that often elsewhere.

Qualcomm (even after the bad rep from the Snapdragon 810) is still by far the largest chip manufacturer out there. If Samsung started producing Exynos processors for other OEM's maybe they'd have a chance of taking Qualcomm but Qualcomm could lose Microsoft and probably not care.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel