Time for another WinPhone..... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
In June my two years is up. My HTC 8X was my first smartphone. Some aspects I really like, some not so much. So I'm trying to decide whether I should stay with WInPhone or try Android.

Here is what I like:
. The WinPhone Interface is slick. At this point I pretty much know how everything works (or in some cases, doesn't).
. The concept of compatibility with other Windows files/devices/etc.
. The clean lines of the 8X

And here is what I don't like:
. Lack of Apps (I previously started a whole thread on that; it was eventually locked), but basically, not happy about the lack of WinPhone apps for many of the most popular apps and corporate sponsored apps.
. So far I haven't found an advantage for the Windows compatibility.
. The reliability of the hardware. I bought the service plan and boy am I happy about that because I've needed to use it. Part of the problem is that BestBuy replaces broken phones with reconditioned ones that have their own special problems (on one of the replacements, the phone functionality barely worked). So another HTC is definitely OUT.

I know this is a WInPhone forum and most responses will try to convince me to stay in the fold, and that's fine. Maybe what I'm looking for is a little pep talk to convince me to stay with Win, or maybe this is the last gasp before I bail; not sure.

I wonder what the future holds for the OS. What features will my next WinPhone have that my HTC 8X running WInPhone 8 doesn't?

I haven't kept up with the options. I guess if HTC is out, Nokia (is it still called that? Or is the MS assimilation complete?) Lumia is one option. What other options, if any, are there? (I'm on AT&T in the US)

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts.

Mohamed Ahmed Nader

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not from the U.S. but if u want a solid phone with specs that competes with flagships with a 1/4 of the price then look no further than the Alcatel idol 3. I own a "flagship" but it doesn't really matter in windows phone "1520" and basically my next phone is gonna be either the idol 3 or a Moto G

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I don't know anything about product lines. I don't know what the "flagships" are or what makes them flagship models. I also don't know what operating system any of those phones use (can I assume Windows Phone?)

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe to clarify... you probably have to explain things to me as if I were your grandmother, especially when talking about models. Throwing a bunch of names at me tells me very little.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
It's time to get a new phone. My current phone is WP 8. If I staying with WP I'll get 8.1. Besides the three-across tiles, what else is there? Are there additional features? Functional enhancements?

I'm leaning at going with Android. I love the WP the OS, but it got shaky toward the end because I never got the push to 8.1 and I think the apps have moved on. But in the end, it's the lack of certain specific apps that dooms the OS to me. I want Strava to record my bicycle rides; instead I have to settle for Endomondo. I want to be able to check in on my American Airlines app that they used to have, but AA stopped supporting it. Facebook changed their API and MS didn't keep in step, so now my contacts don't update anymore. If I could see the improvement in the integration of Windows Phone with the appsphere, I might give it another go. As it is, things aren't getting better, they're getting worse. I really wanted to like Windows Phone, but both the app developers and MS just don't put in the effort.

Are there any reasons to give them another chance?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia still applies, but Nokia is pretty much phased out...

If Apps are make or break... It's not really going to change on 8.1. It may change with Win 10 Mo, but even then it will take time and if you are already out of patience you may not want to gamble on 10.

I'd say there is a lot more going on with 8.1 and new hardware than you have been used to. Apps aside, would it feel like a leap forward? I believe it would.

Take Sensor Core for example. The new gen chipsets will passively and actively track your activities. The Health and Fitness App will record all your steps and has GPS workouts for your cycling. You can input training routines and diet. It won't have the social media component of Strava however....

Productivity should be increased as well. Action Center for quick toggles (customizable - one button access to settings you use most) and notifications from all your apps. Live Folders on the Start screen bundle Apps by your categories to put more in easy reach. I have 5 Live Tiles on My start screen and 8 Live folders. Those folders hold another 95 Apps between them. I have 100 Apps on my Start Screen with no scrolling on Start and little to no scrolling inside folders when expanded.

Do you have Word Flow keyboard? I think maybe not... Word Flow is very nice. https://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/typing-shortcuts

You've never had Glance... I'm sure you've heard of it. I find it to be an invaluable tool for helping me stay organized and productive.

Cortana. I find Cortana very usable and incredibly helpful. I rely on her all the time and she delivers.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. Throw in photography if you like taking pictures. I think pixel per pixel Lumia has higher quality and better potential than any other smart device.

If you got a new Windows Phone it would refresh things immensely for you. Especially if you step forward to something like a gently used 1520 which still remains a powerhouse. Other nice trade ups for you are 830 or 640 XL. Even a Blu Win HD LTE would offer you a lot extra over what you have now.

You mention not finding uses for the Microsoft integration. I love my OneDrive and my Outlook. Everything is the same and equally accessible from phone, tablet and PC. Skype is the same conversation if I have it in a sidebar on my browser's outlook tab or via App on my phone or tablet. I don't really make any special effort and move between devices seamlessly all day: be it email, contacts, calendar, Skype or OneDrive stored documents. The cloud is here and it's powerful, but it's up to you to use it. Cortana is coming to PC with Windows 10 and integration is just going to get tighter with tasks, interests, favored contacts, favorite places, ways you behave being recognized and focused upon. Are you all in with Microsoft? That makes a big difference. I made a split from Google early this year and it has made a big difference just with integration of the big 3 - Calendar, Contacts, Email.

Still it comes down to Apps. It will get better under 10. How much and how fast? No one can say. If you've got to have what others around you take for granted App-wise then nothing can be done for it. Windows Phone and even Windows 10 Mobile coming up will probably not scratch that itch for you. Not this year and probably not next.

I always say, if you are going Android, go Nexus. My impression is that many do not hear that as I look back in a thread and they have the newest Samsung Galaxy Whatsis most often, or an HTC One or a top of the line LG, sometimes even a Sony or a One Plus. In short they seem to follow what's in the commercials and what they see out in public. Still, having been there and done that I recommend Nexus for the longest lasting official support, the fastest official updates and the widest independent developer support.

And if you stay with Windows Phone I recommend a Factory Unlocked Lumia for much the same reasons - better support. You got stuck in a backwater because either your carrier or your OEM decided not to pass you updates. Factory Unlocked takes both of them out of the equation and Microsoft seems committed to pushing as much OTA to their devices as they can.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You've never had Glance... I'm sure you've heard of it. I find it to be an invaluable tool for helping me stay organized and productive.

Cortana. I find Cortana very usable and incredibly helpful. I rely on her all the time and she delivers.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. Throw in photography if you like taking pictures. I think pixel per pixel Lumia has higher quality and better potential than any other smart device.

If you got a new Windows Phone it would refresh things immensely for you. Especially if you step forward to something like a gently used 1520 which still remains a powerhouse. Other nice trade ups for you are 830 or 640 XL. Even a Blu Win HD LTE would offer you a lot extra over what you have now.

You mention not finding uses for the Microsoft integration. I love my OneDrive and my Outlook. Everything is the same and equally accessible from phone, tablet and PC. Skype is the same conversation if I have it in a sidebar on my browser's outlook tab or via App on my phone or tablet. I don't really make any special effort and move between devices seamlessly all day: be it email, contacts, calendar, Skype or OneDrive stored documents. The cloud is here and it's powerful, but it's up to you to use it. Cortana is coming to PC with Windows 10 and integration is just going to get tighter with tasks, interests, favored contacts, favorite places, ways you behave being recognized and focused upon. Are you all in with Microsoft? That makes a big difference. I made a split from Google early this year and it has made a big difference just with integration of the big 3 - Calendar, Contacts, Email.

Still it comes down to Apps. It will get better under 10. How much and how fast? No one can say. If you've got to have what others around you take for granted App-wise then nothing can be done for it. Windows Phone and even Windows 10 Mobile coming up will probably not scratch that itch for you. Not this year and probably not next.
It looks like my choices with AT&T are the 640 XL and 830 (and something from HTC but I'm through with them; my 8X hasn't been a good experience).

I haven't hooked up my Outlook to my phone mostly because the account I use with Outlook at home is a very old account that gets a ton of SPAM. I do have three other email accounts I use with the phone (Live, Gmail and Yahoo) but I don't use Outlook.

I've never really mastered using the cloud, so maybe not utilizing the benefits of OneDrive is on me. I set up the account on both my computer and my phone, but I don't think I have optimal settings It doesn't seem particularly useful.

I've never heard of Glance. I guess it's kind of an integrated contact list and calendar? Also, I've heard of Cortana, is it just a voice recognition thing or is there more to it than that?

Will there be any chance that WP10 will be pushed on a device I get this week (like a 640XL)? if not, I may try Android and consider coming back to WP in two years. The phone I have now is my first smart phone, so maybe it would be a good idea to try something else while WP gets their act together.

I always say, if you are going Android, go Nexus. My impression is that many do not hear that as I look back in a thread and they have the newest Samsung Galaxy Whatsis most often, or an HTC One or a top of the line LG, sometimes even a Sony or a One Plus. In short they seem to follow what's in the commercials and what they see out in public. Still, having been there and done that I recommend Nexus for the longest lasting official support, the fastest official updates and the widest independent developer support.

And if you stay with Windows Phone I recommend a Factory Unlocked Lumia for much the same reasons - better support. You got stuck in a backwater because either your carrier or your OEM decided not to pass you updates. Factory Unlocked takes both of them out of the equation and Microsoft seems committed to pushing as much OTA to their devices as they can.

Interesting tip. I saw something on the AT&T site about unlocking my phone; I'll have to check that out. What is Nexus? Is it a manufacturer? Or a model. If it's a model, who makes it? (I don't think AT&T offers any Nexus phones.)

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Ah, looks like Nexus is a Motorola product. AT&T has the Nexus 6 but it's too rich for my blood ($250 is too much). The other Motorola products they have are Moto X and Moto G. Are they any good?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of Glance. I guess it's kind of an integrated contact list and calendar? Also, I've heard of Cortana, is it just a voice recognition thing or is there more to it than that?

Glance is notifications right on your screen without turning your phone on. Whatever reports to your Lock Screen can report to Glance. It lets me instantly triage what is incoming from Phone calls, Messenger, Skype... Detailed analysis of one item (I use Calendar so my next appointment always shows... Current Battery Status. I also have Health and Fitness as the preferred App on Lock Screen so on Glance it is reporting my step count throughout the day. Or if I am doing a GPS workout it has my detailed status right there. Again, without even hitting the power button there is a wealth of detail for me to use and assess.

Cortana is way more than just voice recognition and command. She does more than place calls and compose texts. She feeds me News and results on Interests I've identified. Weather. Search. Reminders, tasks and appointments. Geofencing reminders that occur at locations, not preset times. Flight tracking. Notifications to leave at a certain time due to traffic... Cortana is fast becoming a very powerful digital assistant.

Will there be any chance that WP10 will be pushed on a device I get this week (like a 640XL)?

Again... If you want the best guarantee of getting updates always go with a Factory Unlocked device over a carrier branded one. No matter what OS. But yes... The 640 XL as the last device launched on ATT before 10 hits has a near 100% chance of getting 10.

ATT is at $250 for the 640 XL, yes? for a couple dollars more you can get this Factory unlocked one from B&H. I have no problem guaranteeing Microsoft will push Windows 10 Mobile to this device. Microsoft Lumia 640 XL RM-1065 8GB Dual SIM Smartphone A00025385!

What is Nexus?

Nexus is a Google Showcase phone. It is designed as a collaboration between Google and differing manufacturer's (depending on the generation of the device). It is meant as a developer device and a reference device. It runs unadulterated Android core system without any OEM Firmware interfering. IMHO, Nexus phones represent quality, value for the money, stability and widest support both official and unofficial.

Moto X and Moto G. Are they any good?

Sure. They are pretty good. By all accounts they are pretty close to a Nexus in terms of value and pure Android OS. There are also some long term support pledges for those phones stemming from the time when Google owned Motorola's phone division...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. With a 2-year commitment I get a 640XL for $.99

$99 now. Try and leave ATT next month and see how much you owe on the phone. The balance is carried on your monthly bill and you apy way more than $99.

If you have to buy on contract so be it. I'm still very confident an ATT branded 640 XL will get Win 10 Mo.

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
id try Lumia 830 as a replacement... you will notice the screen quality! its cheap on classifieds... or with contract

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
$99 now. Try and leave ATT next month and see how much you owe on the phone. The balance is carried on your monthly bill and you apy way more than $99.

If you have to buy on contract so be it. I'm still very confident an ATT branded 640 XL will get Win 10 Mo.

I didn't say $99 (ninety-nine dollars), I said $.99 (ninety-nine cents).

And I've had AT&T since.... well, my first cell phone... maybe 2002?

Last edited:

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the 640XL is worth taking a 2-year contract on. It's not a high-end device.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

What makes you think I need a "high end device"?

I'm not a developer, I don't really see doing anything weird to or with my phone. I just want to use it. Just a normal consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium