Nokia Lumia 830 vs Apple iPhone 6

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This is silly. Apples/Oranges comparisons are flame bait at best. The iPhone is a flagship device in a monstrously successful ecosystem while the Lumia 830 is a mid-range device in an ecosystem still trying to become relevant. WP is a great mobile OS, but comparing it to iOS is insane. We all know what sells phones: APPS. There is little room for further discussion IMHO when you compare the two platforms on this basis.

So with your same logic you can not compare IOS with android?
Or a MAC with a windows PC?
And the people who have both and like the 830 more (for there needs) are silly?

Jay Worley

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Um. The 830 was way overpriced at launch, $449. Even $275 on eBay seems a bit much. In fact, the 830 was an unmitigated disaster. It has NEVER shown up on any WP market share pie chart. And worst of all, the "affordable flagship" made things worse. Here's hoping that the 840 has a much better pricing structure to it assuming its released here in the U.S. It's taking forever for AT&T to get the 640 and, or XL. If the 640 can sell for $99 at Walmart or $129 via Cricket, then the 640 XL has to go for about $149 at AT&T. This means that the 840 should go for about $249 once it hits the shelves late summer, maybe, at AT&T. Anything in the mid-range or below has to be extremely well priced. MS has to give up profit at those segments and make it up with any flagships they release.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Miracast works fine. I agree that Skype is still quite buggy and needs making robust - Facetime just works whereas Skype mostly works. And as you said, mobile printing to some printers is almost here. Give Windows another year and I think things will look more comparable.

That's been the war cry of Windows Phone since 7 was released. ;)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Miracast works fine. I agree that Skype is still quite buggy and needs making robust - Facetime just works whereas Skype mostly works. And as you said, mobile printing to some printers is almost here. Give Windows another year and I think things will look more comparable.
My problems with Miracast are that it doesn't provide anywhere near the level of airplay or chromecast's functionality. For instance, I have to put my Miracast receiver in pairing mode. Then go to my device and attempt to establish connection. If I want to stream audio from my phone I can't lock the screen. As that closes out the connection and it needs to go back to the pairing process again. It's worse than Bluetooth.

I haven't seen a windows phone be able to share media streams anywhere near as easily as you can with ios or android systems.

I'm not sure if the Xbox has anything that would compare. But the Xbox has the overhead of requiring the accounts to be logged on first the last time I checked. Whatever it is just feels like 10 additional steps. By which time friends and family have lost interest. Or the iPhone user just says let me do it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Im pretty sure if it was only marketing and timing, people would've stopped using it and buying by now. If you're really being honest you'd notice there are alternatives in the market.

I'm more to the conclusion that the iPhone is actually a good product, and people aren't just sheep because people on the internet say so. Maybe, just maybe, people actually like the iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not going to knock the iPhone. I've never touched one and don't plan to. But, I know a lot of iPhone owners that don't even know other options exist. They buy what everyone of their friends buy because their other friends bought one.

I get that some people might actually have compared phones and chose the iPhone, and that's cool. Use what you want.

The iPhone 6 has an obligation to be superior at a cost of $250.00 above the 830 with only 16 GB of storage. The phone cost $850.00 with 128 GB. I don't think you can separate price/value from the question of which is "better".

The prices come straight from Apples website.

Last edited:

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
So with your same logic you can not compare IOS with android?
Or a MAC with a windows PC?
And the people who have both and like the 830 more (for there needs) are silly?

​Not on a "which is better" basis. Anyway it's a totally subjective question so any absolute comparisons are moot. Nobody is silly for personal tastes and for different needs. But best for me may not be best for you.

beepem

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I use an 830 as a daily driver and I love it. However, an iPhone 4 still sits in a speaker dock on my desk for music and Google Hangouts voice calling. I used Android phones in between but was displeased with the overall long-term quality of Samsung and Motorola phones and Lollipop was abysmal. The other half uses an iPhone 6. He's had four iPhones over the years and says he just doesn't want to learn another OS - he only uses Mac/iOS devices. I'm a device junkie and I play in every sandbox everyday and love my iPad mini, but I couldn't imagine the complete lack of control of an iPhone again. I've grown too accustomed to useful notifications, live tiles, and digital assistants that work properly.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
With price aside, I will vote for iPhone 6. Why? Simple. Because the platform has more app choices and support. Market share of the iPhone already proved that it doesn't need to have glance screen, sd card or modern OS. But missing good and polished apps on Windows Phone is a killer for the platform. I know a lot here will disagree with me, but well, that's the hard cold fact.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Um. The 830 was way overpriced at launch, $449. Even $275 on eBay seems a bit much. In fact, the 830 was an unmitigated disaster. It has NEVER shown up on any WP market share pie chart. And worst of all, the "affordable flagship" made things worse. Here's hoping that the 840 has a much better pricing structure to it assuming its released here in the U.S. It's taking forever for AT&T to get the 640 and, or XL. If the 640 can sell for $99 at Walmart or $129 via Cricket, then the 640 XL has to go for about $149 at AT&T. This means that the 840 should go for about $249 once it hits the shelves late summer, maybe, at AT&T. Anything in the mid-range or below has to be extremely well priced. MS has to give up profit at those segments and make it up with any flagships they release.

The iPhone 6 has an obligation to be superior at a cost of $250.00 above the 830 with only 16 GB of storage. The phone cost $850.00 with 128 GB. I don't think you can separate price/value from the question of which is "better".

Ask any manufacturer/retailer how to determine the value of a product. The value is not what it costs to produce with a little profit added on. The value is what customers are willing to pay. The iPhone sells like gangbusters at $800, while WPs struggle to sell at any price point. That, my friends, is what determines the value.

Now, whether or not it is worth it to you is another matter, but it's hard to argue value.

Alessandro Dut

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
You cant be serious. Actually the shutter speed in 830 is faster since you can control it. If you mean the time it takes to take a picture the iPhone is faster, as well as it focus time. But quality is better in 830 overall.

It would say both have its pros and cons but once you put the price into the equation pretty much iPhone becomes a crap.

iPhone 6 is more mature and they have the support from developers, if Windows Phone had better developers there would be no reason at all to get an iPhone over anything.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The Search button was the worse of the three, but I'm pretty sure it's the very nature of the screen. You see, the Lumia 830's screen slopes gently into the frame surrounding it. It starts quite early on so it's very discreet. It looks and feels wonderful, but it has the unintended consequence of making using screen protectors ridiculous. Especially tempered glass screen protectors. They can't sit flat, and they cover a pathetically small amount of the screen. Because they're always peeling off, there's a gap of air between the glass and the Search button (and the Back button, but that wasn't QUITE as bad. It still didn't work very well, and the Home failed every now and then), which causes it to not register your taps.

Is the problem there only when using sreen protectors? I'm not a huge fan of them, so if I get a 830 and use it without one, I would be fine?

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
there's no need for screen protectors. day to day use does not case scratches! if you drop it and it lands awkwardly, no screen protector is going to stop it shattering!

I have had a 1020 since launch and there isn't 1 scratch on it! they are gorilla glass after all

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is. otherwise people wouldn't be buying it.

People who are willing to buy the IPhone bearing its cost in mind are not comparing it with the 830.​​ i would at least expect them to compare it to the 930.

It is like saying is the Mercedes S class 3 times better than a BMW 5 series. well...those two products are not even competitors.​

We have to compare the S class with a 7 series, that's when we start to make sense.​

OP even wants feedback comparing the 640 XL with the IPhone 6....... :S​

These nerds are crazy. IPhone is the best phone in the world on almost every metric. Windows phones are low selling jokes, which will probably be discontinued shortly. There is no comparison. The 830 isn't good on any metric. Too expensive, low red, old slow SOC, mediocre build, etc. It was a terrible deal when it launched, and it hasn't aged well.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
No, you need a screen protector if you don't want scratches. All screens scratch, and anyone claiming no scratches is lying. How deep they are depends, but they all scratch.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
These nerds are crazy. IPhone is the best phone in the world on almost every metric. Windows phones are low selling jokes, which will probably be discontinued shortly. There is no comparison. The 830 isn't good on any metric. Too expensive, low red, old slow SOC, mediocre build, etc. It was a terrible deal when it launched, and it hasn't aged well.

Eyeryone has the right on his or her opinion but why is it needed to call people with another opinion crazy nerds?
Bye the way statements like " IPhone is the best phone in world " make you also sound as a nerd but then from another team.

Last edited:

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, the iPhone may well be the best phone in the world. Certainly no Windows Phone can lay claim to even being a "good" phone since the OS is so horrible, the app situation so dire, and the threat of discontinuation in the near future does, indeed, seem high.

But ignoring for a moment the 50/50 tossup I'd give it that Windows Phones still exist in 2017, to say the iPhone is the "best phone in the world on almost every metric" is equally crazy:
  • It has very little RAM (only 1 GB compared to 3 or more in it's high-end competitors).
  • It has a low resolution screen.
  • It has poor battery life and no removable battery.
  • It lacks SD expansion.
  • It lacks working NFC.
  • It has a solid but unexceptional camera.
  • It has very questionable build quality (and downright lousy "hand feel").

In fact, other than perhaps app quality, the iPhone is not the best phone on any metric. But the total can be greater than the sum of the parts.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 comes with the Snapdragon 400(Adeno 305 gfx) it will be slower than Apple iPhone 6 in gaming and will not be able to maintain high frame rate in 720p resolution. iPhone 6 will be much more advanced and can handle everything. Apps are way better and better quality than WP store, plus continuous app updates on IOS and up to date IOS versions, much more polished. I have a 730 and I know what I am talking about :) .
Only cam quality will be better cause it has the pureview camera on the 830. If you have the budget to spend on an iPhone, go for it, you wont regret buying one. So to compare the midrange WP 830 to iPh 6 its not a nice comparison.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I dont think little ram is going to affect Iphone , i mean its all about how OS handles its resource, for instance i ve used android phone with 2G ram and "Quad core processor" but still it lagged ,iphone 6 has very good processor and performance is butter smooth.I think its the price of all the iphones that is not justified and static UI . Lumia 830 , on other hand, is very good phone for its price ,infact better than some of the other in the same range. Ofcourse there are issues but Win OS sails smoothly inside it. Then ,in the end, it comes to - what do you actually prefer . I love tiles interface, i dont use apps like crazy, and i am getting very good camera so i am pretty good with 830.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett