Time To Leave ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is 3% even the accurate number anymore?

The last couple of quarters WP has made big strides in Europe and other large markets like India. China has gone down as the newly affluent there flock to iPhone 6 and the less fortunate thrive on cheap Android clones. I think the US is pretty unchanged over the past year...

MonkeyDance

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ive no idea what the current figures are but here in the UK Windows Phone is pretty common, I see them in the street just as much as Apple, its heavily advertised over here though.

Even at the estimated 3% thats still 3% of 7 Billion people and thats nothing to scoff at... as a developer I make more money from Windows Phone than Apple and Android combined.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
... Google announced Android M which will offer very clean and stable OS ...

This made me laugh so hard I think I hurt myself. Thanks for that!

This is akin to the waiting game ref'd for Windows 10.
When will Android become a solid, efficient OS?
or Do we simply continue to add RAM & heatsink?

However, they've got their marketing game going - 75%+ global market share is nothing to sneeze at. If Android had offered (6 years ago) a stable / efficient alternative to iPhone, that was secure ...
we'd probably be paying less for an iPhone.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Ive no idea what the current figures are but here in the UK Windows Phone is pretty common, I see them in the street just as much as Apple, its heavily advertised over here though.

Even at the estimated 3% thats still 3% of 7 Billion people and thats nothing to scoff at... as a developer I make more money from Windows Phone than Apple and Android combined.

I wonder why Lumia phones, especially flagship Lumia phones have never been heavily advertised here in the U.S? No wonder nobody knows what a Lumina is here. People only know the name windows phone, and that's only from them seeing budget windows phones too... so not only is Lumina unknown in the U.S but even the people who do know it, simply recognize them as cheap and "terrible" phones that you can't even take selfies on lol

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Nokia from way back and replaced my 920 with 1520 and like it . However, any time I go to buy anything the app is for IOS or Androids . I was going to buy security camera at Costco and all three models had Apps for IOS and Androids only . Also, I wanted to buy an item from Kickstarter and the same story as if Windows OS does not exist .

I have been strong user of Nokia for the HERE allowing off-line use and also Androids for not being clean and stable .

Well, today Google announced shortly every one would be able to use their Maps off-line with enhanced features and also Google announced Androids M which will offer very clean and stable OS with lot less clutter and host of other neat Apps like Photo which allows free unlimited photo and video storage and on & on .

I am excited about Windows 10 but aren't we deprived from the rest of the world of technology .

IP Cameras? There are apps for those in the WP Store ;)
If you wanted to go the android route you could always cop out and get an Xperia. Remember the Nokia vs Sony Ericsson wars? lol

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I never get these kinds of posts where people have this fake surprise of what is happening with the platform and ask should I leave? I think you've already left OP. Been gone. I think the story is some fascination with offline maps as if they don't exist anywhere but at google and here you are here to promote google over Microsoft. Period.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've recently been looking into something to replace my 920. On AT&T, I appear to have 3 or 4 Nokia/Microsoft choices, none of which interest me at all. Do these guys even have a flagship feature phone anymore?

I would love to have something like the 1020 with a bigger screen, improved camera & wireless charging. At this point, I'm guessing that is never going to happen.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've recently been looking into something to replace my 920. On AT&T, I appear to have 3 or 4 Nokia/Microsoft choices, none of which interest me at all. Do these guys even have a flagship feature phone anymore?

I would love to have something like the 1020 with a bigger screen, improved camera & wireless charging. At this point, I'm guessing that is never going to happen.
There are two devices in the pipeline for this fall. If you want a phone like the 1520, you could still find them on Amazon and Ebay.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
If you are really switching to android, make triple sure you go for high end devices. you dont want to miss out good performance ,atleast for a year or so , at the expense of apps .

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Great advice! I use devices running Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, WP, Android, and iOS. (Did I miss any?) :wink: There is really little downside to it.

Probably ... Jolla's Sailfish.:wink:

...Symbian, Meego, Maemo, webOS, Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, many Linux desktop flavors, Commodore and Amiga, etc...

No list of OS's used will be comprehensive, time available being a finite quantity.

zkgm03

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
It started with my American Airlines app disappearing, and then out goes Bank of America. Then I see "coming soon" for over 3 months now at the ATT site for the 640XL. I can't get any release info from the Windows Store or AT&T as of yesterday. With my 2 super major industry staples not waiting, I would rather switch to Droid than change to United Airlines and Wells Fargo :# and live on a prayer that somehow the Windows Phone will survive long term. Switching to Sprint and using my old / never used Palm Pre spare #right before the day HP shut down the servers required to activate them... yes, I still love and miss webOS# since the non-replaceable battery gave up on my Lumia 920 several months ago, fighting expired security certificates and a slow at best, unsupported web browser at worst, it is adios to webOS and WP. Being a heavy user of navigation, at least I can obtain the latest free Here Now app for my new Droid. With my user history of watching HP destroy my very long loving history with all of the Palm phones, my faith is weak in WP having a future. Hopefully their users will be assimilated by Droid, and not iPhone.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Multi device user here. If you want the convenience of apps being available you're using the wrong OS. Though the Windows app problem is starting to (slowly) improve, we're (Windows) still the underdog in the mobile space. We have an app problem that won't be fixed until developers take a leap of faith and test out the waters. Most app makers don't feel Windows low market share justifies making an app for which in reality is redundant because with the Universal Windows platform they can target desktop/tablet/phone and those combined equal a ton of users. Also, people aren't willing to buy Windows devices because they're favorite apps aren't there for them to use. At the end you're the only one who truly knows what works best for you. I currently use a Lumia 640 XL as my daily device, a Lumia 435 to test out Windows 10 builds, and a Moto X through my job. On my Moto I've basically disabled all Google apps, aside from the Play Store and Google Play services, and replaced them with Microsoft and other apps. I basically use my work phone for just that (work) and occasionally for when I need to download an app not available on Windows. Shoot you can even pick up an inexpensive Android phone like the Moto E ($79-$129) or a Blu phone ($69-$99) if you just need it for the apps and stick with your Windows Phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05