What is a clean IMEI definition?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Clean IMEI Definition

I wasn't sure which are to post this, so I thought I'd post it here. What does clean IMEI mean to you?

It seems of late, on one of the other sites, people have come to take it to mean it can be unlocked.

When I sell phones, I check to insure they can be activated, but I specifically say that I do not check to see if they can be unlocked.

If they can be activated, I say they have a "clean IMEI for activation".

I also say "assume it's locked to the carrier".

Is this the generally acceptable answer? Clean means eligible for activation on the identified carrier, and unlocked means can be used anywhere?

Am I missing something?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Clean IMEI Definition

Basically, an IMEI number is "clean" if it meets all of the following criteria:

1. The mobile device associated with the IMEI number is not reported as stolen, lost or used as an accessory in illegal activity.
2. The mobile device is no longer associated with any user account in any mobile service provider, e.g. carrier unlocked.
3. There are no pending accounts or settlement issues related to the mobile device prior to having it "unlocked".

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Clean IMEI Definition

Thanks gpob. That is what I thought. I don't check to see if they can be unlocked, because not all carriers will tell me that. They will usually tell me if it meets criteria 1 or 2, and sometimes 3, so it can be activated on their network.

IE - I sold a TMobile phone to a guy in Canada. TMo said it could be activated, and all of the online sources said the IMEI is ok to activate. So, after he gets it, we wants to return it because he can't activate it on his local carrier.

Other than saying "it can be activated on the identified carrier. Please assume it is locked to that carrier, unless specifically stated as unlocked". I'm not sure what else I can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb