06-11-2015 02:00 AM
30 12
tools
    I just got an email saying Facebook Connect is no longer going to be available. So...can anyone say what this is going to mean to Facebook users with Windows phones (8.1)? In plain English?
    Thanks!
    Jennifer
    06-09-2015 04:28 AM
    There is an option of read more in the mail.
    IndyJG, msirapian and salazka like this.
    06-09-2015 04:58 AM
    1. You won't get reminder about birthdays from facebook.
    2. You will be not be able to get reminder about events.
    3. People app will not show updates from your friends.
    4. People app will not show extra details or we can say that it will not sync with fb. No pics of your friend, no numbers which they have on fb.
    5. You can not chat with your fb friends from outlook.com
    6. I only know these points but there are many.
    06-09-2015 05:02 AM
    there can't be many nails left to hammer into the windows phone coffin now
    06-09-2015 05:49 AM
    Doesn't mention anything about windows 10 I wonder if that is going to be ok?
    06-09-2015 06:11 AM
    Surely that's just because it hasn't been released to the masses yet other than through the TP.
    06-09-2015 06:29 AM
    1. You won't get reminder about birthdays from facebook.
    2. You will be not be able to get reminder about events.
    3. People app will not show updates from your friends.
    4. People app will not show extra details or we can say that it will not sync with fb. No pics of your friend, no numbers which they have on fb.
    5. You can not chat with your fb friends from outlook.com
    6. I only know these points but there are many.
    Which part of the document about the changes says you will lose these item on WP8.1? (except 5 which is not a WP issue)
    06-09-2015 06:39 AM
    there can't be many nails left to hammer into the windows phone coffin now
    Tell me about it! What happend to this " social extendibility" that Rubino was talking about when we lost facebook integration during wp8.1? Facebook app for windows is horrible.
    06-09-2015 06:49 AM
    This only applies to Windows 8, 8.1, WP 7 and 8. It's basically the Facebook connection to your Microsoft Account. The People app, and other fb web-based Microsoft services like fb chat on Outlook and Calendar use this connection. It's quite old since it's been there since WP7. The major downfall with this method is that everything on your fb feed and activity goes through Microsoft servers, so if MS servers fail or goes on maintenance you won't be able to get your feed, so fb on your devices goes kaput.

Unlike on WP 8.1, the feed come from the app themselves, which is a smart move actually. So if you remove facebook on your WP 8.1, you'll totally get rid of facebook on your phone, except that annoying facebook icon on the people hub tile. Twitter and LinkedIn already do this on WP 8.1, unfortunately can't say the same on the desktop (8.1) variant.

To be fair it was really nice to have that fb/Hotmail chat integration in the Messaging hub in WP7. Really just waiting for this kind to happen with 8.1 or 10.
    06-09-2015 06:55 AM
    Which part of the document about the changes says you will lose these item on WP8.1? (except 5 which is not a WP issue)
    Ladies and gentleman, here is the link from the mail.

https://support.office.com/en-in/art...ndarapp8and8.1

Many more things are also given in the link.
    Zoran Selinsek likes this.
    06-09-2015 12:19 PM
    Ladies and gentleman, here is the link from the mail.

https://support.office.com/en-in/art...ndarapp8and8.1

Many more things are also given in the link.
    Thanks but that link doesn't say anything about WP8.1 losing any features

Phone wise its only WP 7 & 8
    06-09-2015 01:12 PM
    Thanks but that link doesn't say anything about WP8.1 losing any features

Phone wise its only WP 7 & 8
    Facebook is taking their API back, so windows phone 7,8,8.1 and windows 8,8.1 all are affected. Microsoft will be not able to fetch information from facebook because API will not be available anymore.
    06-09-2015 01:43 PM
    Facebook is taking their API back, so windows phone 7,8,8.1 and windows 8,8.1 all are affected. Microsoft will be not able to fetch information from facebook because API will not be available anymore.
    WP8.1 does not use this API, it uses the FB app to get this information (this is why WP8.1 is not mentioned as being affected)
    06-09-2015 02:01 PM
    I fervently hope and pray that Windows 10 will address the Facebook issue. The forced, mandatory Facebook integration needs to be banished once and for all.

If you want it and volunteer to hook Facebook into every aspect of your phone, great. But for those of us who delete facebook first thing after every set up; why do we have to see the Facebook logo winking at us from our People Live Tile? I have never been able to use the People hub effectively because I have to keep it smallest size. Yes - have to. I refuse to have a Facebook logo on my start screen.

Bunch of lousy data pirates and unrepentant social manipulators. I would love for Windows 10 to give up this nonsense that Facebook is a core feature of the OS. Without Facebook my phone functions just fine. Remove it entirely and many will not miss it one jot...
    06-09-2015 10:01 PM
    WP8.1 does not use this API, it uses the FB app to get this information (this is why WP8.1 is not mentioned as being affected)
    That will be a good thing if it happens.
    06-09-2015 11:23 PM
    People need to learn how to read. WP 8.1 is not mentioned in that Microsoft article/email. Are affected Windows 8.0 and 8.1, Windows Phone 7 and 8.0

NOT 8.1

Proof is: it still works and as said above, it's thanks to the third party integration (versus OS integration) introduced with WP8.1 (and only WP8.1).

I suspect W10 will have the same approach so Facebook connect will keep on working on W10/W(P)10, for those who want FB connected to their people hub/calendar.
    06-10-2015 03:36 AM
    Everything i liked about windows phone is now gone.
    06-10-2015 07:46 AM
    Everything i liked about windows phone is now gone.
    Its still on windows phone 8.1. Calm down
    06-10-2015 08:13 AM
    That will be a good thing if it happens.
    I still see facebook updates in my people hub.
    From what I gather, the fb app is acting as a "middle-man" providing the sync.
    06-10-2015 08:32 AM
    Its still on windows phone 8.1. Calm down
    i think when they say wi​ndows 7 & 8 it means with all its variations. 7.5, 7.8, 8.0, 8.1. and so on.
    06-10-2015 08:34 AM
    i think when they say wi​ndows 7 & 8 it means with all its variations. 7.5, 7.8, 8.0, 8.1. and so on.
    That might be the case with 7, I don't know how that one works for versions, but for 8 they are classed as 2 different os's

If it says Win 8 it means Win 8.0 for desktop
    If it says Win 8.1 it means 8.1 for desktop

and the same for phone, either WP 8 (8.0) or WP8.1 (8.1)
    so for the phone if you are on WP8.0, any items mentioning WP8 affect you
    if you are on WP8.1 any items that mention WP8.1 affect you
    06-10-2015 10:07 AM
    I fervently hope and pray that Windows 10 will address the Facebook issue. The forced, mandatory Facebook integration needs to be banished once and for all.

If you want it and volunteer to hook Facebook into every aspect of your phone, great. But for those of us who delete facebook first thing after every set up; why do we have to see the Facebook logo winking at us from our People Live Tile? I have never been able to use the People hub effectively because I have to keep it smallest size. Yes - have to. I refuse to have a Facebook logo on my start screen.

Bunch of lousy data pirates and unrepentant social manipulators. I would love for Windows 10 to give up this nonsense that Facebook is a core feature of the OS. Without Facebook my phone functions just fine. Remove it entirely and many will not miss it one jot...
    I don't remember anyone holding a gun to my head and having me allow the integration. In fact, back in the wp7 days I remember going to the live.com web site and intentionally linking my account to facebook and twitter. Then with wp8.1, I remember the fb app asking if I wanted to integrate. NO was definitely an option, so, nothing mandatory so far. Not sure what you mean.
    06-10-2015 11:21 AM
    ...for those of us who delete facebook first thing after every set up; why do we have to see the Facebook logo winking at us from our People Live Tile?
    Facebook comes installed on the phone and reappears every reset. Deleting it only removes the App. Windows Phone tries to constantly push it at users. Show me how to remove the Facebook logo from the People Live Tile. You can't. No one can...

What do you think this thread is about? People bemoaning the fact that the deep integration of Facebook into Windows Phone might be in jeopardy of going away and not returning. I wish it would. I don't want even a chance that FB is looking at my data.

I understand it is something people volunteer to use. I understand I will see it constantly around the world wide web. However, this is my personal phone. I should have to actively seek out and add a Facebook App. Despite what people say it is not a core function of a smart phone to connect to Facebook. The core function of a smartphone is to serve my needs, not Facebook's or anyone else's needs. Especially if that other entity is not the OEM. When I delete the App that I never asked for all vestiges of it should be removed, but they are not. It's still winking at me from the People Live tile. Why? Please explain any reason why should that persist? Why should it insist on ruining the People Hub experience for any non-Facebook user on Windows Phone?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-2015 11:40 AM
    Facebook comes installed on the phone and reappears every reset. Deleting it only removes the App. Windows Phone tries to constantly push it at users. Show me how to remove the Facebook logo from the People Live Tile. You can't. No one can...

What do you think this thread is about? People bemoaning the fact that the deep integration of Facebook into Windows Phone might be in jeopardy of going away and not returning. I wish it would. I don't want even a chance that FB is looking at my data.

I understand it is something people volunteer to use. I understand I will see it constantly around the world wide web. However, this is my personal phone. I should have to actively seek out and add a Facebook App. Despite what people say it is not a core function of a smart phone to connect to Facebook. The core function of a smartphone is to serve my needs, not Facebook's or anyone else's needs. Especially if that other entity is not the OEM. When I delete the App that I never asked for all vestiges of it should be removed, but they are not. It's still winking at me from the People Live tile. Why? Please explain any reason why should that persist? Why should it insist on ruining the People Hub experience for any non-Facebook user on Windows Phone?
    I removed the People tile from my home screen for that very reason.

I rarely used the People hub and saw little use for it, since I don't use Facebook.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    RumoredNow and mary beth hale like this.
    06-10-2015 12:05 PM
    I removed the People tile from my home screen for that very reason.

I rarely used the People hub and saw little use for it, since I don't use Facebook.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Same here for exactly the same reason.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    06-10-2015 12:25 PM
30 12