At a crossroads...

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have used windows phones since HTC Trophy came out on Verizon. However, the company policy where I work for BYOD came out and not surprisingly, Windows Phones are not supported for reimbursement and there is not an app for work email. So, I either can choose to not be reimbursed or switch to an Android or iPhone? I much prefer my Windows Phone and was looking forward to using my upgrade on a W10m device this fall. Since that is looking unlikely, which OS provides a better experience coming from a windows phone? Suggestions requested

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a tough question but it sort of comes down to what works for you?

With iPhone you get 'Apple' experience. Which everyone seems to rave about. I've never used one so can't say much. I keep hearing the same things all the time. 'It just works'. I still hear the best experience with Apple is 'all' Apple.

With Android, you get whatever experience you want on it, more or less. You have to get the phone that suits you as well. It's closer to WP in a way but more open.

I'm finding the MS services I have on Android just fine. I'm also finding the Google services are getting a lot better as well. Google is also taking security a lot more serious.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used iOS briefly. I can't see the fuss. It's sort of insulting to me how "dumbed down" the UX is there. And as alluded to above, they really want you to buy in heart and soul to the ecosystem and go "all in" with Apple. It's costly.

I used Android for quite a bit. It can be liberating and empowering. IMHO, Nexus is the way to go. You are not shoved into a skin with lots of useless bloat and you get the fastest/longest/most widely available support for official ROMS and indie dev innovation.

Ask yourself:

Do I like to fiddle with my phone and customize the setup? Then avoid iOS.

Do I want to just turn the phone on and go? Do I want integration everywhere? Then iOS may be for you. Just remember to get the full benefit you really have to commit. There are tons of software and hardware accessories out there catering to the iCrowd and every institution in the world seems to court iOS users specifically. You will be invited and welcomed everywhere - which, unfortunately, is the polar opposite of Windows Phone. You are going to pay for the platinum level treatment, but be assured it is there waiting.

Last edited:

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. How was the migration of contacts from windows phone to these two platforms? I am leaning towards Android.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
One of the other things to think about is the diversity of phones you can get using Android, where with Apple you have 2 choices. I make myself a pest at the local wireless store, hanging out and trying everything available when looking for a new phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your contacts should all be waiting in the cloud, associated with your various email accounts. Sign into those accounts and your contacts show naturally flow right to your device.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I ended up with the Samsung Galaxy S6. Best Buy is running a special where you can get a $100 gift card. Still getting used to how different the apps look and function. Biggest disappointment is that the Xbox music app doesn't support offline music on the S6 (or is that an android issue?). I have a lot of music associated my music pass. The phone came with the Verizon and Samsung messaging apps, any thoughts? Still trying to determine which email app is better, Verizon email or Gmail apps (or Outlook which I added). And two picture viewing apps... I now can see though what the fuss is about with the twitter, Facebook, and Instagram apps. They look much better on Android.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing they'll fix the Xbox music app eventually. They seem to keep Android apps up to date. Not sure why they haven't got that function sorted. All other streaming services offer it. I use Spotify myself.

Can't say much about the Verizon/Samsung thing as I'm in the UK and own a Sony Z3.

I, oddly enough, use Outlook for my MS account and Gmail for my Gmail account. I like both of them for different reasons. I'm still trying to decide if I like the new Outlook app. I have to spend some time with it because I don't find it that intuitive.

As for photo viewing I stick to Google Photos (if you're not referring to things like Instagram). Aside from the seamless functionality across devices (I have a Nexus 7 as well) it just simply works. The editing within it is good too, though I prefer Snapseed for my simple editing needs.

Yes, a lot of apps are better on Android/iOS. Third party apps are nice to have but I prefer the company supplied apps myself.

Ever since I moved over to Android I haven't really missed WP that much. There are some aspects I miss but it's not a big deal.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they'll fix the Xbox music app eventually. They seem to keep Android apps up to date. Not sure why they haven't got that function sorted. All other streaming services offer it. I use Spotify myself.

Can't say much about the Verizon/Samsung thing as I'm in the UK and own a Sony Z3.

I, oddly enough, use Outlook for my MS account and Gmail for my Gmail account. I like both of them for different reasons. I'm still trying to decide if I like the new Outlook app. I have to spend some time with it because I don't find it that intuitive.

As for photo viewing I stick to Google Photos (if you're not referring to things like Instagram). Aside from the seamless functionality across devices (I have a Nexus 7 as well) it just simply works. The editing within it is good too, though I prefer Snapseed for my simple editing needs.

Yes, a lot of apps are better on Android/iOS. Third party apps are nice to have but I prefer the company supplied apps myself.

Ever since I moved over to Android I haven't really missed WP that much. There are some aspects I miss but it's not a big deal.
I'm using Outlook for Android, and it works flawlessly with all of my email accounts (outlook.com, Gmail, the one from my ISP).

I'm using OneDrive to back up my Android photos. It's unlimited, since I have an Office 365 subscription, and I don't need to wait to WiFi to upload full resolution photos to OneDrive using the Android app.

You might want to check out my thread here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Outlook for Android, and it works flawlessly with all of my email accounts (outlook.com, Gmail, the one from my ISP).

I'm using OneDrive to back up my Android photos. It's unlimited, since I have an Office 365 subscription, and I don't need to wait to WiFi to upload full resolution photos to OneDrive using the Android app.

I did read your thread. :)

I use OneDrive as well but I only have 1TB even though I have a 365 subscription.

When I moved to Android I decided to work with both systems. I find that it's good to know what the advantages and disadvantages are. I like OneDrive but from a photo aspect I think Google Photos is far better with my two Android devices. I like how seamless it is. If you haven't tried it I recommend it.

So for me. it's about finding what works and what doesn't. At this moment I have both but I may start to cull. Like I mentioned I'm not overly fussed with the new Outlook app. It doesn't feel all that intuitive to me. I may do the same with OneDrive eventually and even OneNote. I like both apps on Android but I find the Google alternative is simpler.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did read your thread. :)

I use OneDrive as well but I only have 1TB even though I have a 365 subscription.

When I moved to Android I decided to work with both systems. I find that it's good to know what the advantages and disadvantages are. I like OneDrive but from a photo aspect I think Google Photos is far better with my two Android devices. I like how seamless it is. If you haven't tried it I recommend it.

So for me. it's about finding what works and what doesn't. At this moment I have both but I may start to cull. Like I mentioned I'm not overly fussed with the new Outlook app. It doesn't feel all that intuitive to me. I may do the same with OneDrive eventually and even OneNote. I like both apps on Android but I find the Google alternative is simpler.
I did try Google Photos. The drawback is that I only have 15 GB free space. I'm not going to pay for extra space on Google Drive, since I already have unlimited space on OneDrive through my Office 365 subscription.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I did try Google Photos. The drawback is that I only have 15 GB free space. I'm not going to pay for extra space on Google Drive, since I already have unlimited space on OneDrive through my Office 365 subscription.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I can understand that. I guess I don't have a large requirement for space at the moment. :)

I just like the way Photos works with photos that's all. I don't use Google Drive for anything else. I find using OneDrive a bit painful with photos so that seamless transition between my tablet and phone is really nice when I want to post pics from either device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can understand that. I guess I don't have a large requirement for space at the moment. :)

I just like the way Photos works with photos that's all. I don't use Google Drive for anything else. I find using OneDrive a bit painful with photos so that seamless transition between my tablet and phone is really nice when I want to post pics from either device.
I find OneDrive to be quick and painless syncing on my PCs, Android phone and Android tablet. OneDrive was only painful when used with Windows Phone.

I have 14.1 GB stored in OneDrive currently. I'd be pushing the limit if I were to use Google Drive. I'm not going to pay for any other cloud storage solutions, since I get unlimited storage in OneDrive with my Office 365 subscription. I won't be giving up that subscription, since I need Office for more than just OneDrive cloud storage.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I find OneDrive to be quick and painless syncing on my PCs, Android phone and Android tablet. OneDrive was only painful when used with Windows Phone.

I have 14.1 GB stored in OneDrive currently. I'd be pushing the limit if I were to use Google Drive. I'm not going to pay for any other cloud storage solutions, since I get unlimited storage in OneDrive with my Office 365 subscription. I won't be giving up that subscription, since I need Office for more than just OneDrive cloud storage.

I wasn't trying to convince you. I agreed with you that if you have unlimited OneDrive it wouldn't make much sense to use Google Drive in your situation.

I was just saying for my situation it works. :) I still use OneDrive as well.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Hey Laura, Do you have to turn over all your contact & calendar data to Google to use an Android device? If I ever switched, it would be dependent on keeping calendar & contacts with MS only.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey Laura, Do you have to turn over all your contact & calendar data to Google to use an Android device? If I ever switched, it would be dependent on keeping calendar & contacts with MS only.

You only need a Google account if you plan to use Play Store for your apps. Otherwise you don't need to sign into anything Google or set up anything Google if you don't want to. Entirely up to you.

Even if you by accident did, you can disable it afterwards.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
@SteveNoza I set up my google play account using my @live.com email. I truly dislike the android UI, but the apps admittedly just look and work better than the ones on WP.
Thank you Laura and N_LaRUE for your commentary and feedback. I didn't realize how much I looked at OneDrive as a backup and not as my picture viewer - must be a left over reponse to the pictures hub. I will definitely go back and reevaluate now. I have avoided Google drive to this point. I setup Gmail and Outlook to evaluate evenly. I think they are about equal, but wish outlook was a bit more colorful like Gmail.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
@SteveNoza I set up my google play account using my @live.com email. I truly dislike the android UI, but the apps admittedly just look and work better than the ones on WP.
Thank you Laura and N_LaRUE for your commentary and feedback. I didn't realize how much I looked at OneDrive as a backup and not as my picture viewer - must be a left over reponse to the pictures hub. I will definitely go back and reevaluate now. I have avoided Google drive to this point. I setup Gmail and Outlook to evaluate evenly. I think they are about equal, but wish outlook was a bit more colorful like Gmail.
If you dislike the Android UI, that's easily changeable.

I haven't done any extensive customization like changing fonts or icons. I did use Nova Launcher Prime to change my home screens. I put the apps I use most into folders, which I put into the dock. I have a very clean screen with only 1 widget on each page.

71c16c2c2b4218f082d4d41a1db1f4e1.jpg

bcddb97cd0185db99b8ba574b56ce97f.jpg

9b63eb76c688241a09e33fca6e0be428.jpg

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have used windows phones since HTC Trophy came out on Verizon. However, the company policy where I work for BYOD came out and not surprisingly, Windows Phones are not supported for reimbursement and there is not an app for work email. So, I either can choose to not be reimbursed or switch to an Android or iPhone? I much prefer my Windows Phone and was looking forward to using my upgrade on a W10m device this fall. Since that is looking unlikely, which OS provides a better experience coming from a windows phone? Suggestions requested
Your company needs a competent IT department.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett